Vox Adio Air GT v Boss Katana Air v Yamaha THR10 or another practice device?

What's Hot
dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
edited July 2018 in Guitar
Following up on another thread. 

Would be interested to know what will do the best job. Which one does ticks all the boxes?

I will practice mostly with headphones. 
Ideally i want to send backing tracks from my phone and be able to jam along. 
Play and learn tracks from iTunes and play along at the same time.

Do any of these devices allow you connect up to mac and record directly on to garage band or some offer software? Would be great to record my practice sessions so i can listen back to see how i can improve and get basic ideas down.

I don't want loads of sounds but would like more realistic tones, dynamic, good clean up when using drive. Clean, crunch, overdrive with reverb would do me.

Any work better with a pedal board too? 

Or is there any other options than the three devices mentioned? Portability would be useful too as i can take when i'm away from home and on holiday.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    THR5 & 10 does everything on your list except send backing tracks from your phone.  You can plug in your phone with via a 3.5mm wire and play it through the speaker while playing along.  Only one I've used and is ideal as practice/recording device and with headphones.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    munckee said:
    THR5 & 10 does everything on your list except send backing tracks from your phone.  You can plug in your phone with via a 3.5mm wire and play it through the speaker while playing along.  Only one I've used and is ideal as practice/recording device and with headphones.
    If you plug your phone in is there a headphone socket too? 
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    Yes. It's a different socket.

In my experience, with the THR10, I really like the Blackface style clean sound, and the AC style crunch sound, but I'm less fussed on the other models. Works really well for me with pedals, though. And the ergonomics and usability of it are great. I never use my phone with it, but I have it permanently connected to my laptop for backing tracks and recording.
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I've used the THR10 for exactly what your seeking to do. I brought a little Blackstar Bluetooth receiver for about £10 to use with my phone for backing tracks but mainly use tracks from my computer via usb.

I'd like to try the Katana Air and Vox Adio at some point but the demos I've heard on line have not impressed me (there was a Andertons demo comparing the Katana to the Vox Adio and a couple of small valve amps and the Vox sounded best to my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcSPwhyGDc4

Looks like the Yamaha gets a lot of love then. 

Yes the vox does sound great there. I do like the Bluetooth feature so you don’t wires everywhere.

So guys using a computer with it, do you record with the Yamaha? Is there software you get with it or are using your own?

The vox looks tempting or the Yamaha 5 or 10? Much difference?
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11680
    If buying one now I think I'd go for the Vox Handbag
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    edited July 2018

Yes the vox does sound great there. I do like the Bluetooth feature so you don’t wires everywhere.

So guys using a computer with it, do you record with the Yamaha? Is there software you get with it or are using your own?

Yamaha comes with a free version of cubase which works pretty well plus own software for different cab options and tweaking to the sounds which I use but you don't really need.  both 5 and 10 are same speakers but 10 has saveable presets which the 5 doesn't and has a bass and acoustic amp setting as well, and maybe individual base/mid/treb which the 5 doesn't but you can use on the THR software.

Lee Anderton maintains the Adio sounds better than the yamaha but depends on your taste, I like clean and crunch, quite like lead but best is Brit Hi with guitar volume turned down a bit I think.

If you can get to one of the big names I would A/B THR against Adio.  THR5 only £155 though and does all I need, I have a valve amp too but for recording/meddling/playing late at night and 5 minute noodles is a great device.

Takes up no room as well which is a plus if you are married to missus munckee as it is allowed "on display" in the lounge!
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    I have a Vox Adio that is perfect for what you need. Sounds quite ‘full’. I tried a Yamaha as well before buying the vox and really, I think you’re ok with either. Especially if you get the Bluetooth adapter 
  • I also love my Thr10. 
    The line6 amplifiTT is only £89 at guitarguitar right now. It looks interesting, but im not always impressed by their modelling- it sounds a bit electronic to me sometimes. 
  • AlterlifesonAlterlifeson Frets: 475
    munckee said:

Yamaha comes with a free version of cubase which works pretty well plus own software for different cab options and tweaking to the sounds which I use but you don't really need.  

I find the THR software useful when initially setting the amp up. The stock cab setting for the Mini Z is a 2x10, but this mode sounds much better with the 4x12 selected. I went through and modified it all to my liking, saved the patches and never opened the software again.
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 650
    I have a Vox Adio and find it to be super decent, with headphones it doesn't sound quite as good as through its own speaker with the wide setting...Here's a little demo of some of the sounds I get out of it!
    http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqMjNlV8pJY
    JohnCordy said:
    I have a Vox Adio and find it to be super decent, with headphones it doesn't sound quite as good as through its own speaker with the wide setting...Here's a little demo of some of the sounds I get out of it!
    http://https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqMjNlV8pJY
    nice one! Link not working though
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5327
    One not mentioned so far is the Blackstar Fly 3.

I got one on a whim when everyone was getting Katana Air's. A wee bit cheaper (got mine on offer with the extension cab and PSU for about the same price as the Fly 3 on its own) and allows for Aux In and Headphone Out (independently). You could send the headphone socket to an audio interface if you wanted, but no direct USB out.

The balance of gain, overdrive, ISF and delay (time and level) gives you a fairly broad spectrum of sounds for your money. Funnily enough it's not the same as a cooking valve amp, but then, it's about £50, so …

Mine gets used in fits and starts: handy for quiet practice, and also great for chucking in a bag when going on holiday.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Snags said:
    One not mentioned so far is the Blackstar Fly 3.

I got one on a whim when everyone was getting Katana Air's. A wee bit cheaper (got mine on offer with the extension cab and PSU for about the same price as the Fly 3 on its own) and allows for Aux In and Headphone Out (independently). You could send the headphone socket to an audio interface if you wanted, but no direct USB out.

The balance of gain, overdrive, ISF and delay (time and level) gives you a fairly broad spectrum of sounds for your money. Funnily enough it's not the same as a cooking valve amp, but then, it's about £50, so …

Mine gets used in fits and starts: handy for quiet practice, and also great for chucking in a bag when going on holiday.
    I have a Fly 3, they are certainly very nifty, should really use mine more
    Whoops....
  • Does the fly 3 come with a dc power pack?. Can't seem to see if it does or not in the shops descriptions .

Thanks 
    Does the fly 3 come with a dc power pack?. Can't seem to see if it does or not in the shops descriptions .

Thanks 
    No, you have to buy it seperately.

There is also a kit with the extra speaker cab and the power supply which is pretty nifty.

Used to be amp on it's own £50 and the kit was £80
    JohnCordy said:
    Whoops....
    That’s sounds awesome! Will have to try! Looks the best fit in my opinion. 
    Oh and yes it works nicely with a pedalboard