Tuner out creates pop on Fuzz pedal - help?!

randersonranderson Frets: 187
I've just put together a nice silent pedalboard and everything is working nicely. Very last thing is to connect the tuner out of my Boss volume pedal to my boss tuner and suddenly now the on/off of my fuzz pedal pops loudly every time I turn it on.

The fuzz output is connected to the volume pedal before being fed back into the next pedal in the chain. Not usre why this is affected by the tuner out connection though? Please help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    You may find it stops if you have a battery in the tuner and psu for the other fx. That's what I found.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    It sounds like there is a DC voltage leak from the tuner which is passing back via the volume pedal and making the fuzz footswitch pop.

You should be able to fix it by connecting a cap in line with the tuner output of the volume pedal - I'm not sure of the value but any fairly large non-electrolytic cap should work.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• randersonranderson Frets: 187
    ICBM said:
    It sounds like there is a DC voltage leak from the tuner which is passing back via the volume pedal and making the fuzz footswitch pop.

You should be able to fix it by connecting a cap in line with the tuner output of the volume pedal - I'm not sure of the value but any fairly large non-electrolytic cap should work.
    Thanks for the help. The tuner isn't powered though. It is a Boss FV300L
    The voltage leak from the tuner will probably happen even if it’s on a battery - it’s a problem with the input circuit in it. The volume pedal is passive and the tuner out is connected directly to the input, so there’s nothing to stop a voltage leak from the tuner getting back to the fuzz.

I assume you want the volume pedal after the fuzz and before any other effects? A simpler solution would be to put a buffered pedal after the fuzz and before the volume pedal, which would also block the voltage.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

edited June 2018
    ICBM said:
    The voltage leak from the tuner will probably happen even if it’s on a battery - it’s a problem with the input circuit in it. The volume pedal is passive and the tuner out is connected directly to the input, so there’s nothing to stop a voltage leak from the tuner getting back to the fuzz.

I assume you want the volume pedal after the fuzz and before any other effects? A simpler solution would be to put a buffered pedal after the fuzz and before the volume pedal, which would also block the voltage.
    Thanks for the help. But what I mean is the Boss Fv300L isn't powered at all. i.e. battery or otherwise.

Re. the buffer idea. I have a Boss EQ on order which I suppose I could place after fuzz and before volume if required. Still puzzled why it is happening though if no power in volume pedal?
    randerson said:

But what I mean is the Boss Fv300L isn't powered at all. i.e. battery or otherwise.
    I know, that's the problem! That's what I've been trying to tell you :). In the FV-300, the input jack is connected directly to the tuner out jack, so it allows the voltage leak from the tuner's input circuit to get back to the footswitch in the fuzz pedal.

If the FV300 was buffered, it would block the voltage leak. But since it isn't, what you need to do is either add a buffer (easiest by putting a buffered pedal between the fuzz and the volume pedal), or by fitting a cap (a component which blocks DC) in the volume pedal between the input and the tuner out.

randerson said:

Re. the buffer idea. I have a Boss EQ on order which I suppose I could place after fuzz and before volume if required. 
    Yes, that should do it.

Ok so I've fixed the problem it seems, but via the following chain -

Fuzz > Volume pedal > Buffer (Boss TU2)>Tremolo

I thought I had followed your advice @ICBM except I see that you said  Fuzz > Buffer > Volume (which makes more sense).

Any ideas why my order worked too?
    randerson said:

Is that the same tuner as you were using before? I assumed you were using something like a TU-12 before since you don't need to run a TU-2 from the tuner out jack to tune silently.

ICBM said:
    randerson said:

Is that the same tuner as you were using before? I assumed you were using something like a TU-12 before since you don't need to run a TU-2 from the tuner out jack to tune silently.
    Yes TU12
    randerson said:

Yes TU12
    The TU-12 has a DC leak, the TU-2 doesn't - simple as that.

The TU-12 is actually a very old and quite crude design - it's also got quite a low input impedance so if it's left in line with no buffered pedal in front, it tends to suck tone a bit. It works fine if you use the Boss BCB-6 pedal case with the PSM-5 pedal as the (buffered) loop driver, but not with true bypass pedals.

ICBM said:
    randerson said:

Yes TU12
    The TU-12 has a DC leak, the TU-2 doesn't - simple as that.

The TU-12 is actually a very old and quite crude design - it's also got quite a low input impedance so if it's left in line with no buffered pedal in front, it tends to suck tone a bit. It works fine if you use the Boss BCB-6 pedal case with the PSM-5 pedal as the (buffered) loop driver, but not with true bypass pedals.
    Great thanks for the advice!