Right, that's enough now...

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
After about four years of pissing around with various pedals - drive, fuzz, dirt, delay, reverb, rotory, vibe, echo, more delay, modulation, another delay ( this time with modulation), chorus, tremolo, harmonic tremolo, yet another delay pedal, modulated reverb - I have decided to cut my board down to the bare minimum of four pedals and learn to play some music.

Have no motivation to play live but I've got a couple of cracking guitars and can have a go at pretty much anything in the intermediate spectrum, what is good to learn? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Write some of your own stuff - and see who might add stuff to it - there’s drummers, bassists, keys and all sorts on here - do a collaboration!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Fuengi said:
    what is good to learn? 
    Don't sell everything for the sake of selling everything. Just put the toys aside for a while. Get back to absolute finger skill basics. Play acoustic. 
    Be seeing you.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Write some of your own stuff - and see who might add stuff to it - there’s drummers, bassists, keys and all sorts on here - do a collaboration!

I've got a RC-3 full.of half baked ideas, semi riffs, meandering chord progressions... all incomplete due to the search for the next must have pedal... 

I can't sit down and play anything without getting bored. If I try to create something I end up obsessing over the same chord patterns and melodies, knocking pedal on and off and getting nowhere. 

I do play acoustic and seemed to be getting somewhere a few weeks ago, but even that inspiration had dried up. 

I've got an acoustic vision in my head, but time constants and procrastination always gets the better of me. Frustrating. 
    Find a local jam session and learn some stuff for that? 

You might find out Fretboard jams worth it - sign up to a song and you then have something to learn with a meaningful chance to play it live...

You might find out Fretboard jams worth it - sign up to a song and you then have something to learn with a meaningful chance to play it live...

The thought of playing in public makes me feel physically ill. I'll have nightmares tonight. 

Seriously. 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Fuengi said:

The thought of playing in public makes me feel physically ill. I'll have nightmares tonight. 

Seriously. 
    Really ?....I’ve been to a few jams....it’s soooooo relaxed !...you can come with the intention of doing nothing....you don’t have to jam a song with the band, some of us just sit around and strum a few tunes.

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    spark240 said:
    Fuengi said:

Seriously. 
    Really ?....I’ve been to a few jams....it’s soooooo relaxed !...you can come with the intention of doing nothing....you don’t have to jam a song with the band, some of us just sit around and strum a few tunes.
    Yep, really. The moment anyone is watching me I freeze - unless I'm absolutely hammered.

Once I played in the front room after the Mrs had gone to bed. She told me the next day she wasn't asleep and could hear me. I was horrified and couldn't pick up the guitar for a fortnight.
    Fuengi said:

Seriously. 
    Yep I can believe that.

A few have come along to Jams who have similar feelings. If you want, we could work out a way to introduce you to the idea without it being a complete nightmare. There's other rooms where its 2 or 3 people jamming to a tune and no more. All relative beginners, all struggling and all making their way through it slowly. 

Honestly, and for me, it's playing live with other musicians that keeps my interest fully topped up - nothing like it. And I'm not a confident person. In fact, I get proper bad nerves before a gig. Real bad. But once into it, it's a different game.
    I cannot believe that this thread has got this far without Bridgehouse suggesting that you play some bass guitar for a change. 

Fuengi said:
    I can't sit down and play anything without getting bored. 
    In that case, try fretless. Bass or guitar.
    Be seeing you.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    The first jam, and the first open stage I went to I didn't take a guitar with me and went with no desire to play, just to observe.  What I saw at both encouraged me to get my hands in shape and get in there.  Going first under these circumstances takes all the pressure off, and while you might be intimidated by some monster players, there will be some there that will make you say "I can do this".  More importantly, I saw that no one was judging anyone, a few players weren't all that good but no one laughed at them.  If/when you do go to a jam to play, work up your repertoire of popular songs and only take one pedal, either a clean boost or a distortion that can give you a boost and only use it when it's your turn to solo.  If you go to one to observe you will understand why I say that.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11677
    Fuengi said:

Seriously. 
    Yep I can believe that.

A few have come along to Jams who have similar feelings. If you want, we could work out a way to introduce you to the idea without it being a complete nightmare. There's other rooms where its 2 or 3 people jamming to a tune and no more. All relative beginners, all struggling and all making their way through it slowly. 

Honestly, and for me, it's playing live with other musicians that keeps my interest fully topped up - nothing like it. And I'm not a confident person. In fact, I get proper bad nerves before a gig. Real bad. But once into it, it's a different game.
    Yeah come along to Huddersfield @fuengi there are still spaces :)

If you have been fiddling with pedals and buying gear then you clearly love guitars and love playing them and love getting a sound.  If you have an RC3 full of riffs and noodles then you feel creative when you pick up a guitar... sounds like you have been doing pretty well to me :)
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8534
    I’m a bit obsessed with the Justinguitar website right now, trying to sharpen up on intermediate theory as I’ve let it slip for a few years. Trying to look at this instead of another drive pedal demo!
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited July 2018
    Go to a small local jam as audience 1st then... Had a guy come to mine that has such bad anxiety that some weeks took him 10min to work up courage to come in, other weeks he never even made it in.

got him up doing rhythm once as he did fine though shaking a little a enjoyed it.

Fast forward 6 months and I just watched him go up at an acoustic jam and sing and play 4 songs solo.  And what a fine job he did.

He's now working up courage to try a little busking (may take him a long time again but sure he'll get there).

If he can battle anxiety bad enough he was often too worked up to even walk in the pub then i reckon anyone can do it... And i guarantee if you managed it (even after a few months of going and maybe just going up and playing with a few songs for someone else) your sense of achievement and so on will be off the scale.

eventually you'll be enough part of fixtures it will feel like home and the massive gains you'll get from watching, hearing and playing with others live would be well well worth it.

Understand if you don't but really really reckon you'd be doing yourself the biggest favour if you did.  And like i say go along as audience.  Even hearing people do songs in a totally different style to original cab give you some great ideas for home

anyway this is your story and with above said do you always wanna be thay scared to have even someone hear you or would you like to be able to enjoy playing with others here and there.  If its the latter then take some baby steps and go out and listen.
    The thought of playing in front of anybody is so sickening to me that I can even consider it. It's just not on my radar. 

Recording is something I'd quite like to do, but as mentioned above I'm getting bogged down. 

Maybe I should learn something new for inspiration, or maybe I need just one more delay pedal....  :#
    Fuengi said:
    The thought of playing in front of anybody is so sickening to me that I can't even consider it. 
    Your aversion is learned behaviour. It is treatable. 
    Be seeing you.
    Fuengi said:
    The thought of playing in front of anybody is so sickening to me that I can't even consider it. 
    Your aversion is learned behaviour. It is treatable.

I'm not thinking about treatment, I just don't want to do it or even think about doing it! 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    If writing leaves you in a familiar trap and open mic leaves you ill, then why not challenge yourself to record and upload a video to YouTube? I've been through your fears many times but putting myself 'out there' from the safety of my own sofa helped a lot. Things like my not exactly perfect Game Of Thrones theme cover got some generous feedback on here a few years ago and built my confidence. I don't play very often these days but I have done a few acoustic open mics and parties since I braved the online audience. 

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Without wanting to sound like a broken record, Trio+. All the fun of playing with a live band but without feeling like a pillock when you screw up. You can throw any old progression into it, let it come up with something fun and sequence up to 5 different sections. You can do it all through headphones too.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'