Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Fractal Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 446
    Thanks for the updates. 

Do you notice much of a gap with channel changes? There's the usual knickers in a twist about it from some people on the Fractal forum, but unless no-one else is playing then i can't see it being a problem for me in a band setting.

Looking forward to trying it out for myself, hopefully I'll have one in the next few weeks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    edited June 2018
    I'll try and time it next time.

There's definitely some tiny, tiny gap - but waaaaay faster than a scene change previously - so to all intents and purposes no.

It's also definitely faster than any Marshall amp channel switching I've played with for example

(with more tonal variation).

I have to say - the scene change is similarly fast, which along with scene naming puts the whole thing on a head for me.

Now I've got it so the scenes are the main tonal changes, the only 'pedals' I switch in are mods if I feel like it. Whereas before I'd be adding a lot more with pedals.

• DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 446
    You mean you're changing amp types with scene changes?

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    DavusPG said:

I do that now with ax8 so assume the new model can do it. 

I’m looking forward to the new software - it would be great if the ax8 could name scenes and have even quicker changes too.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    John_P said:
    DavusPG said:

I do that now with ax8 so assume the new model can do it. 

I’m looking forward to the new software - it would be great if the ax8 could name scenes and have even quicker changes too.
    Faster changes are coming in quantum 10 ;)
    AX8 Quantum 10 beta supposed to drop this week....

Also, the amount of arse-kissing on the official Fractal forums is just ridiculous.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Am I right in assuming that a new FX8 (mk iii) is in the wings, as they have reduced the price of the old ones ?
    Am I right in assuming that a new FX8 (mk iii) is in the wings, as they have reduced the price of the old ones ?
    No idea TBH - might be worth a visit to the official forums? Just make sure you're wearing your tinfoil hat....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited July 2018
    Fractal have been busy with the Axe-FX3, so I'm not sure if they have had the time or the resources to introduce a new FX8 model? They haven't even had time to fix the latest broken FX8 firmware from Nov 2017. Cliff did post in the FX8 forum recently confirmng they had been tied up with the Axe-FX3 launch, and when things calm down they'll have a look at the FX8 Mk 1 & 2 firmware.
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Freebird said:
    Fractal have been busy with the Axe-FX3, so I'm not sure if they have had the time or the resources to introduce a new FX8 model? They haven't even had time to fix the latest broken FX8 firmware from Nov 2017. Cliff did post in the FX8 forum recently confirmng they had been tied up with the Axe-FX3 launch, and when things calm down they'll have a look at the FX8 Mk 1 & 2 firmware.
    It just seems strange that a substantial price drop has happened :)
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    edited July 2018
    Helix HX FX competition maybe? Although well aware they're different machines ..
    edited July 2018
    Freebird said:
    It just seems strange that a substantial price drop has happened
    Responding to the competition maybe? Fractal are probably the most difficult company to second-guess, as they always seem to be in the market for a new update or two
    Looks like cliff is throwing his toys out the pram and has now shut the thread down.

I love the fractal products but dear God, I wish their staff weren't so far up their own arses.

Firmware will be available.... Sometime. Maybe.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6637
    FarleyUK said:
    Looks like cliff is throwing his toys out the pram and has now shut the thread down.

I love the fractal products but dear God, I wish their staff weren't so far up their own arses.

Not Cliff, that Chris guy did it, he’s a bit full of his own importance, but means well
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    mrkb said:
    FarleyUK said:

Not Cliff, that Chris guy did it, he’s a bit full of his own importance, but means well
    Apologies, I stand corrected :)

Just baffles me the way they talk to their customers sometimes. It's not as if it's a cheap unit or anything... Maybe it's an American thing?

Anyway, just a shame the q10 firmware is being delayed. Fingers crossed we get it this week!

The FX8 is working fine. It just needs a bug fix for the last firmware, and to port over some of the FX improvements from the Axe2. The problem doesn't really affect me, so I'm using the latest update. I also tend to avoid manufacturers websites  ;)
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I am enjoying the III more than I realised, the improvements in the algorithms are amazing to me. 

But it (and the edit) still do feel very beta and the updates are thick and fast. Suspect they’re getting slammed at the minute and that can’t be helping the mood. 

I think this will go on for the next six months until the FCs are out and the dust has settled. 

But as i said, good grief the new unit and os are impressive! So you can only imagine the work
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    The Fractal Forum is a very strange place indeed, any awkward questions and you are branded a Heretic :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    Freebird said:
    Interesting - what specifically was wrong with the November '17 firmware update?
    Freebird said:
    Interesting - what specifically was wrong with the November '17 firmware update?
    Can't do backups to the new Fractal Bot.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fx8-v5-04-released.132375/