Trapped Thai kids

What's Hot
Im surprised someone else hasn't started a thread on this.  Clearly its very tragic and increasingly looking bleak.

However I'm puzzled as to how they got so deep into the cave.  Some of the descriptions from the rescuers coming out of the tight and torturous route in with some steep climbs in places suggest it must have been pretty hard to get in there in the fist place.  I realise that with waters rising you become capable of doing all sorts to survive and that the flood water has moved debris around a bit but how they got in still surprises me.

I hope they find a way of getting them out but I also cant help but think not all will.   Hopefully I'll be proved wrong.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I think there is a previous Discussion? Bit odd that it seems to be getting so much coverage in the U.K. mebbe, I guess that the involvement of British rescuers and the unusual situation have made it media fodder here.

I guess that when they were trapped they had to look for air and ground and ended up where they ended up. Pretty unimaginable situation.
    The expert chap they’ve had on BBC breakfast seemed surprised that they had all survived, the death of one of the rescuers perhaps hilighting how incredible it was. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71955
    I assume they found themselves cut off by the water quite close to the entrance and had no choice but to go further and higher into the cave to stay above it.

They definitely aren’t out of trouble yet, by a long way - I have a bad feeling it might turn out to be a false hope that they were all found alive initially. It’s a much worse situation than the miners in Chile who were essentially safe, even though trapped - the rescuers had plenty of time to plan how to get them out.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    edited July 2018
    Removed
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Looks like they are going to try to get them out, but it doesn't sound easy.  They say there are places that are so narrow that the divers have to take their scuba tanks off to get through.  Getting kids who can't swim and who had 10 days without eating through that is going to be very difficult.

Not sure about the waiting out the monsoon option.  Can they get enough supplies in?  Will the water fill the place where they are at the moment?  Would be very risky.

Praying for a miracle.

• NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    The one fella has already lost his life trying to get oxygen to them. Hopefully it wasn’t in vain.
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    I really cant understand how they ended up there. Even without any water the caves sound trecherous. Why did they go so far in?

Looking at the options available it really does look very bleak indeed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    RMJ said:
    I really cant understand how they ended up there. Even without any water the caves sound trecherous. Why did they go so far in?

I think they were discussing actually training the kids to dive well enough to be led out by the special forces guys, I suspect they have a lot of people out looking for alternate entrances.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    The monsoon rains are beginning so they will need to hurry. Elon Musk has sent some engineers who think they can create an oxygen tunnel through which the kids can crawl. Sounds mad but his engineers from Boring Corp (they did holes not tell bad jokes) say its doable.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RMJ said:

I think they were discussing actually training the kids to dive well enough to be led out by the special forces guys, I suspect they have a lot of people out looking for alternate entrances.
    Yeah I saw that. The fact that an ex seal dies trying to get to them has to be a concern though...
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    It's incredible, it takes rescuers 11 hours to go in and out. It's crazy deep. One section is so thin, you can't fit through with climbing apparatus 
    RMJ said:
    RMJ said:

Yeah I saw that. The fact that an ex seal dies trying to get to them has to be a concern though...
    Yes, hopefully they can get some international help as well, no criticism of the Thai military who seem to have done a superb job so far, but their resources must be getting stretched.
    joeyowen said:
    It's incredible, it takes rescuers 11 hours to go in and out. It's crazy deep. One section is so thin, you can't fit through with climbing apparatus 
    Unbelievable how/why they got there in the first place. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Was discussing this with the wife yesterday.  

We couldn't agree what we'd want done if it was one of our boys..... leave them and hope/wait for the waters to subside.... or teach them to dive.   I couldn't call it - although I did say that I'd learn to dive and go and 'visit'. 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    edited July 2018
    It's a horrible situation.  

*edit* Please God they all get out OK.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I was so relieved when they found them, I didn't realise what a nightmare was still unfolding. I just hope it ends well.

Terrible about the diver who died, that seems like a strange mistake for a seasoned diver to make? Maybe I didn't hear all the details.

All I can say is that the coach was off his F****** trolley!?!

Personally I'd like to see more of an international response.

I have a good pal in his late 50s, and he said that when he was a young kid (living abroad), him and his mates found a cave on the coast and went in for fun. They went deeper and deeper into the darkness for 2 hours (!) crawling through small spaces, until one of them suddenly said "what if the tide comes in?" - they literally pelted back at breakneck speed, getting out in 30 minutes!
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    RMJ said:
    joeyowen said:
    Unbelievable how/why they got there in the first place. 
    The cave was 100% dry when they went in, they were supposed to get a certain distance and scribe their name on a wall, when they went to leave, a river at the other end overspilled into the cave system and 'chased' them through the cave.

Someone on the ground was caught off guard on Thursday when he commented that the cave fully floods in the monsoon season, I'm assuming this isn't the official line to give the parents hope. Given that experienced divers have died in less hostile caves this isn't looking good.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited July 2018
    going into the bowels of the earth seems a strange way to bond a football team...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The rescue plan....

Thailand's government has released details about the rescue plan. 

"The government has distributed a GFX about how the boys will dive out from Tham Luang cave: 

• equipment - air tanks, full face masks

• two divers accompanying one child

• they dive together, guided by the rope placed by the rescuers

• when facing a very narrow path, they will release the tank from the back and slowly roll the tank and guide the kid through the channel

• from Chamber 3 to the cave's mouth they will walk

The government says the advantages are that this could be done fast and without using much resources. 

But it also warns that this requires requires high-level skills of the divers; the boys should have some diving skills, strong mind and should not be panicking.

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited July 2018
    The problem is, all it is takes is a knock to the facemask, or getting a strap caught. Without training, that is going to really frightening stuff for someone with no diving experience, so mental preparation is going to be so important.

Fingers crossed they all make it out.