Speaker choice for a Two Rock Studio Pro 35 head

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    timmysoft said:
    Rocket 50
    That will certainly help tame an amp with too much midrange.

... and too much bass, volume and general good tone.

If you’re shy about taking your expensive boutique amp to a jam in case everyone else thinks you’re a gear snob, this is the best choice of speaker - no-one will believe your amp cost more than a Peavey Bandit when they hear it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:
    Rocket 50

... and too much bass, volume and general good tone.

If you’re shy about taking your expensive boutique amp to a jam in case everyone else thinks you’re a gear snob, this is the best choice of speaker - no-one will believe your amp cost more than a Peavey Bandit when they hear it.
    Rocket 50 is the future 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AndyJPAndyJP Frets: 219
    edited July 2018
    ICBM said:
    timmysoft said:
    Rocket 50

... and too much bass, volume and general
    good tone.

Thankfully it's only guitarists that seem to know about them.   Even then it's only certain types of players...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tried the strat with the zilla cab at a rehearsal room last night, it sounded great.    There was plenty of headroom and wasn't overcompressing.   Happy with that.

The strat pickups are very low output: Neck 5.85k (alnico 3), Middle 5.95k (alnico 3), Bridge 6.85k alnico 5

The fender tele pickups are supposed to be low output.    Neck: 7.4K alnico 5, Bridge: 6.0K alnico 5.   

But there's a huge difference between the tele and the strat. 

edited August 2018
    Swapped the v1 12ax7 for a 12at7 and really helping the headroom! Also using a clean boost seems to the volume. 

Gonna try it at rehearsal next Thursday with the the Musicman Luke. The pair sound the biz at home anyway...
    In case anyone else is interested I've used an EVM-12L with great results. Now have loads of headroom....
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    edited August 2018
    From memory the EV is claimed to be 100dB, but they sound louder than other 100dB speakers to me - a very bold, clear tone which sounds really beefy and punchy. It’s not easy to define a single overall sensitivity figure because it varies so much with frequency - the EV has a very wide and even response, so it will be louder in the bass and treble compared to the G12-65, and hence might be quite a lot more than twice as efficient even though the peak sensitivity is only 3dB higher. Being rated for 200W it also won’t even come close to compressing, with a 35W amp - the G12-65 probably will.

Just hope the cab isn’t too heavy now!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers for the advice @ICBM. Learned that sometimes it's the speaker that needs a change and not the amp.