gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
edited July 2020 in Guitar
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1020
    @GavRichList Any wisdom? 
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    Join offsetguitars - I think it's 50+ posts to see the Classifieds, but I'll keep an eye in the meantime!

ALWAYS LOOK UNDER THE PICKGUARD - people did some crazy routing to Jags.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    As with everything, play first. Are you sure you definitely like them? Of course they’re short scale which is why they weren’t popular for a while and they have virtually zero sustain. Cleans are of course lovely. I’ve owned 2 vintage Jags, a 65 and a 69 and honestly, they both left me cold. I’ve also owned an av65, which was nice enough. If I wanted another Jag, I’d probably go with the reissue so I could modify it and make it playable, without killing the value.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    chris78 said:
    I’d probably go with the reissue so I could modify it and make it playable, without killing the value.
    This is what I did, except mine is an AVRI '62. Mastery bridge and tailpiece mods, Duncan Antiquity pickups. Not yet got around to a series/parallel switch.
    Be seeing you.
    edited July 2020

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    I think Jaguars are pretty safe buys in the vintage world as they’re not nearly as desirable as strats and teles so there’s not much money in it for a forger. To go to all the effort faking one to then sell it for £2-3k (sunburst) doesn’t make sense.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    gringopig said:
    Mastery bridge is a good idea actually. A direct replacement without modification I presume?
    Ta!
    Saddles and pivots replaced on bridge. Arm and collet on tailpiece. Dismantling is involved but this is your opportunity to check that the lock knob mechanism operates as it should. 

benecol said:
    Join offsetguitars
    Their web site has plenty of articles about fettling. 

GuitarWorld has some interesting articles about custom wiring circuits.
    Be seeing you.
  • punchesjudypunchesjudy Frets: 1020
    Both the Staytrem and Mastery bridge are just drop in replacements. Can't go wrong with either tbh though I personally prefer the Staytrem. 
    As for the trem the Staytrem collet and arm is a great upgrade. 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7145
    I have an early 62, and in all honesty it’s everything I could ever want in a guitar. The early early 62s have a slab neck, which adds a fair slice of warmth / thicker low end. Also has black bobbin / flat pole pickups, again warmer than you might expect; certainly not the shrill jingle jangle weediness of the reissues. There are actually a whole bunch of tiny changes to the Jaguar line that help authenticate the years; there used to be a brilliant website called Jim Shine, but it seems to be defunct. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I'd go custom shop personally. Even vintage offset prices are going a bit wild now. 

They are awesome guitars though. I think I will always own one.

Saying that Jazzmasters are better :-D
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Yeah, it does depend on price. I think mine would set you back significantly more than I paid for it 4 years ago now. 
    edited July 2020
    !

edited July 2020
    edited July 2020
    Staytrem bridge on mine. Prefer to mastery. Yes, it’s an early 62 - there’s a curve of rosewood after the nut. 

http://i.imgur.com/PiNjtQ3.jpg

And a big ol’ lump at the heel. 

http://i.imgur.com/YG2LIZA.jpg

Sell it to you? Afraid not! The guitar I wanted since I was 16. It took me til I was 33 to get it. 

The way I see it, it was Fenders top of the line guitar from absolutely their golden era; if you treat them properly (replacement bridge, good set up, 11s) then they’re pretty untouchable. The neck is perfect - really chunky. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    gringopig said:
    Yeah, it does depend on price. I think mine would set you back significantly more than I paid for it 4 years ago now. 
    I can see a custom shop re-issue on Peach but it's close to what you might pay for an original. How much should an untouched 63 or 64 go for - in sunburst?
    I think you’d be looking at 3-3.5k now
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    As for the trem the Staytrem collet and arm is a great upgrade. 
    Absolutely the best upgrade you can make on a Jag or a JM.