Is car paint a complete no no

What's Hot
Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
edited July 2018 in Making & Modding
I have to get this SG junior project finished over the summer its been sitting for a year and summer is coming to an end. 

I was just going to do something roughly vintage with a cherry stain and an aged can or two of clear Nitro.

Then I saw this and thought oh why are you always so boring and traditional you could pimp it up but this type of finish is only available as Candy Orange car paint. I hear all the thick finish not Nitro a paint that is rubberised and never dries but just thought I might not be traditional for once. Will car paint work? Its gonna be rattle cans as i don't have access or space to spray. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    Yes, it will work.

Off the shelf rattle cans tend to be mixed for shelf life, which means you have to work harder and wait longer.... but it will work

many also have a round spray pattern, which massively increases the chance of runs

rattlecans will give a thin finish anyway, which makes buffing through a lot more likely... but if you are careful it can be done.

honestly though, worth pricing up other methods as it can start to add up quickly.  Consider the cost if you have to do it more than once,m
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    The vintage Fender Custom Colors were DuPont car paint - albeit applied with an industrial spray gun rather than small aerosol cans.
    Be seeing you.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I pretty much exclusively use car aerosol paint, however, I get mine from the local Auto Paint Supplier..... it is  far superior to that supplied by the likes of Halfords (more paint less solvent) and can be mixed to any colour, they have shitloads of colour swatches to choose from, or take a paint code and they will mix it......I prefer Cellulose and its about 8 quid a tin, if Im lucky I can do a guitar body with one tin, but that is a very thin finish, Celly doesnt need lacquer and I generally dont need to sand it back, the finish is good enough as is.....if you are going to prime first ask for one at the same time as you buy the paint so you get one that is compatible.....

Good Luck!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GizmoGizmo Frets: 1073
    I refinished a charvel last year with House of Kolor Aerosols from Jawel paints 

I used the House of Kolor PBC32 Tangelo Orange Pearl over a sparkling silver base coat & finished it off with a few cans of Power Can Clear Lacquer 

All those cans had a nice fine fan spray nozzle so gave a much better final finish that needed much less leveling than other brands I've used before,as i recall the total cost was about £30 inc postage

came out pretty nice,although i wish id built and extra layer of sliver base coat to make it pop a little more out of direct light

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8820
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    thanks, @WezV
    As always wise advice it's not so much the cost of the equipment and frankly, there must be at least 10 projects that would love a bit of spray gun love its space. Even if I could find the absolute right day to do it outdoors not too hot, not too cold there is still no room for a decent sized compressor so its rattle cans until I settle somewhere. 

Think I will order it up and give it a go or I will lose another year prevaricating.

cheers jez 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    edited July 2018
    I have been there.  I only got a compressor this year and had pretty much perfected my rattlecan technique up to that point.  *

Having nowhere to do it just makes it more difficult 

* as well as brushing RPC, oils and waxes.. and often paying someone else to do it or borrowing a compressor when needed..  I think I have tried every DIY option going