Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    gringopig said:
    Yeah, it does depend on price. I think mine would set you back significantly more than I paid for it 4 years ago now. 
    I can see a custom shop re-issue on Peach but it's close to what you might pay for an original. How much should an untouched 63 or 64 go for - in sunburst?
    I think you’d be looking at 3-3.5k now
    I would have thought nearer 5k?
    Or have I been looking at daft dealer prices?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    benecol said:
    As for the trem the Staytrem collet and arm is a great upgrade. 
    Absolutely the best upgrade you can make on a Jag or a JM.
    The arm sits too high for me and the custom shop system works a lot better. Imo and all that
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    No, you’re maybe right... I’d certainly expect over 4 for mine 
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    The arm sits too high for me and the custom shop system works a lot better. Imo and all that
    Ooh - I wasn't aware the Custom Shop trem was any different; go on...
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    benecol said:
    As for the trem the Staytrem collet and arm is a great upgrade. 
    Absolutely the best upgrade you can make on a Jag or a JM.
    Stayterm arm sits same height as the Fender arm so long as it is pushed properly into the collet which many people don't - it's a tight fit.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3490
    Maybe just get a tattoo of Kurt Vile instead?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    benecol said:
    Ooh - I wasn't aware the Custom Shop trem was any different; go on...
    It stays in place like the staytrem system but isn't raised 5 cm above the scratchplate. Has a nicer feel too
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
    edited July 2020

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7143
    If you find one you’re interested in, float the link here - I’ll try and spot anything obvious 
    edited July 2020
  • Grocer_JackGrocer_Jack Frets: 258
    gringopig said:
    Yeah, it does depend on price. I think mine would set you back significantly more than I paid for it 4 years ago now. 
    I can see a custom shop re-issue on Peach but it's close to what you might pay for an original. How much should an untouched 63 or 64 go for - in sunburst?
    I'd say you should be able to get a sunburst for £3K private sale or non- London dealer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I have an early 62, and in all honesty it’s everything I could ever want in a guitar. The early early 62s have a slab neck, which adds a fair slice of warmth / thicker low end. Also has black bobbin / flat pole pickups, again warmer than you might expect; certainly not the shrill jingle jangle weediness of the reissues. There are actually a whole bunch of tiny changes to the Jaguar line that help authenticate the years; there used to be a brilliant website called Jim Shine, but it seems to be defunct. 
    Wiz for this. I have a 64 refin in sonic blue. I've also had various reissues. A good pre- CBS Jag is not particularly bright, except with tone and volume maxed out, and will have quite a deep low end and a nice flat eq that sounds great with Tweed amps or drive pedals that add some mids. They're not all about cleans (tho the cleans are great) and you can get some huge tones with quite heavy drive and fuzz. They can weigh a ton as well so that might be a factor. 
    gringopig said:
    I'd say you should be able to get a sunburst for £3K private sale or non- London dealer
    Ok maybe £3.5K. I'd go for a nice refin myself. 
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    I have an original sonic blue 62 for sale and would prob take £5k for it. Sunburst should be £3k max.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3490
    gringopig said:

I saw that one. Looks nice  but maybe not for me as the price reflects a custom colour  and rightly so. A couple of weeks should see the result of my interview and if positive I will want to celebrate!
    Marlin Sidewider - Plan B. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2020
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    edited July 2018
    gringopig said:
    Those are going to take off. Mark my words. They may scoff now and throw bruised fruit straight at your face with vigour but remember, we knew first!
    If Marlin Sidewinders become valuable collectors pieces then I’m giving up and buying a flugelhorn.
    edited July 2020