Do you prefer pentode or triode?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    edited July 2018
    @ICBM does the sensitivity switch on the back of my Sound City 50+ chance between pentode/triode? I know theres a difference in volume but can't remember why (I tell people who ask that it's an attenuator). 

I used to frequent PlexiPalace and a Sound City fan site years ago, but have forgotten much of what I've read. I blame old age.
    No, it changes the gain of preamp valve V3b (the last stage before the PI) by altering the resistance in the cathode leg - actually switching an internal trim pot in and out of circuit.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    I can only speak for a Carr Rambler, which is a Fender flavoured amp.... for home use, I prefer the Triode... Pent for live 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    @icbm and @DJH83004 thanks for the heads up as I was wondering about the difference in tone mentioned earlier in the thread as I didn't believe I heard anything when I switched.

There is a noticeable volume drop when the switch is engaged. Perhaps equal to two or three notches on the volume knob.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    @icbm and @DJH83004 thanks for the heads up as I was wondering about the difference in tone mentioned earlier in the thread as I didn't believe I heard anything when I switched.

There is a noticeable volume drop when the switch is engaged. Perhaps equal to two or three notches on the volume knob.
    The gain is actually adjustable with an an internal trimmer, but it does mean taking the chassis out of the cab unfortunately  :s