Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Jazzmasters - Whats the best bang for buck?

What's Hot
duotoneduotone Frets: 971
https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/jazzmaster/

Ever since watching a YouTube video of Beatles riffs, I have become a bit obsessed with Jazzmasters.  I wanted to ask what model would you go for & why if you were parting with your own money?

Squier/Standard/Classic/Player/Artist/American Original/American Professional?

https://youtu.be/gjqUUafzBg4

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1286
    tFB Trader
    Did the Beatles ever play a Jazzmaster on any recordings?

I've not played a new JM for a while, but used AVRI is a good bet - good pickups, nitro-ish finish, rolled fretboard edges, chrome hardware. Or if you want the looks but not the quirks perhaps check out the American Pro series with simplified switching.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 971
    timhulio said:
    Did the Beatles ever play a Jazzmaster on any recordings?

Not that I know of.

timhulio said:

I've not played a new JM for a while, but used AVRI is a good bet - good pickups, nitro-ish finish, rolled fretboard edges, chrome hardware. Or if you want the looks but not the quirks perhaps check out the American Pro series with simplified switching.

Cheers for the info!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26751
    edited July 2018
    Yeah, American Vintage/Original is probs where i'd land, though maybe Classic Lacquer if they have taller-than-vintage frets?

That said, you can get CS quality for MIM lacquer money from Musikraft/MJT - provided you know what spec you want in enough detail.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8775
    I’d get a used Troy van Leeuwen (and I did!)

Although Mexican built the quality control is impeccable, and it’ll be a sight cheaper than a US model. Looks the business, and with AVRI pickups and Staytrem collaborated mustang style bridge it has all the issues people normally play with already sorted out.
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • benecolbenecol Frets: 397
    edited July 2018
    EDIT: bargain Jazzmaster had sold.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    Best bang for buck would be a Squier VM surely. Not the best guitar clearly but they’re usually solid and perfectly useable instruments that’ll be good enough to depend on live. 

If budget allows, beyond best bang would be nice though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3132
    Recently picked up a modded CIJ as part of a trade. It’s got the Staytrem mods, new pickups and plays great after a setup. Tbh the poly finish isn’t that awful albeit a bit bright for my liking. Might just be worth looking out for that cheaper secondhand model.
  • Hick81Hick81 Frets: 122
    I tend to only look at the vintage reissue stuff but I tried an American Professional in mystic seafoam. It actually looks stunning and feels amazing. I've been keeping my eye out for a used one ever since. 

Other than that, try the J Mascis Squier JM- for the money I was impressed. Really comfortable to play.
    Upmarket choice Elvis Costello signature USA JM - Real nice (I should've bought it off my mate when he sold it)

There's probably about a grand difference in cost, so it really depends on your wants/needs.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    edited July 2018
    The J Mascis Squier is supposed to be good for the money.
    I sold a CIJ last year. I could never tame the cutting high end of it.
    I’d like to revisit a Jazzmaster but would also take into account what amp I’d use with it.
    Ive played some older ones from 80s and the necks felt great. Lovely and thin. Not sure what reissues would have these neck profiles?
    edited July 2018
    Cheers for the info.

Will have a look over the various options/models while I’m watching some of the Tour De France today!

What’s your opinions on the 2x humbucker models? Not a ‘proper’ Jazzmaster or a legit model?

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/jazzmaster/player-jazzmaster/0146903519.html#q=Jazzmaster&qSubmit=&start=1

• If you’re just dipping your toe, I’d suggest looking at the Squier Jazzmaster Deluxe.
    According to what I’ve read (I also fancy a JM, but am on a budget) it appears to be virtually identical to the very well regarded Mascis Squier signature except that it’s red and can be had for under £300.
    It might be worth mentioning that (like the Mascis one) the pickups aren’t “true” JM ones- they’re more P90ish with adjustable pole pieces. As someone who loves a P90 this is actually attracting me!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    duotone said:
    Cheers for the info.

Will have a look over the various options/models while I’m watching some of the Tour De France today!

What’s your opinions on the 2x humbucker models? Not a ‘proper’ Jazzmaster or a legit model?

https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/electric-guitars/jazzmaster/player-jazzmaster/0146903519.html#q=Jazzmaster&qSubmit=&start=1

Not a proper JM! That said, I'm currently putting one together with WRHB but only because I already have a proper one. JM pickups are sublime - Mojo makes the best ones IMHO.
    If you’re just dipping your toe, I’d suggest looking at the Squier Jazzmaster Deluxe.
    According to what I’ve read (I also fancy a JM, but am on a budget) it appears to be virtually identical to the very well regarded Mascis Squier signature except that it’s red and can be had for under £300.
    It might be worth mentioning that (like the Mascis one) the pickups aren’t “true” JM ones- they’re more P90ish with adjustable pole pieces. As someone who loves a P90 this is actually attracting me!
    Thanks @stimpsonslostson , I appreciate the info.
    edited July 2018
    duotone said:
    Cheers for the info.

I had one of these as well but the neck felt pretty wide for me. Not as comfy as the CIJ I had. The bridge wasn't great either. But in terms of output, I couldn't fault it. I never used to coil split. You could look at something with wide range humbuckers but that would be high end. 
    I had looked at replacing the pickups with wide range humbuckers to tip my hat to the Lee Ranaldo model, but don't think the wide range ones are the same size. I couldn't get on with the neck in any case.
    Really like the models with the ‘witch hat’ style knobs, although I guess I could always add these later on anyway.

I’m going to check the latest Namm videos, to see if they show what Fender/Squier models are coming out in September & then make a decision.

Cheers for your input all!
    Not forgetting the Jazzmasters, which are teles, but are Jazzteles or something or other! Talmanesque....
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    duotone said:
    Cheers for the info.

I had one of these as well but the neck felt pretty wide for me. Not as comfy as the CIJ I had. The bridge wasn't great either. But in terms of output, I couldn't fault it. I never used to coil split. You could look at something with wide range humbuckers but that would be high end. 
    I had looked at replacing the pickups with wide range humbuckers to tip my hat to the Lee Ranaldo model, but don't think the wide range ones are the same size. I couldn't get on with the neck in any case.
    I have the hunbucker model and I really like the chunky neck but it’s more a power chord monster for me. The neck on my USA Standard Strat is much nicer for legato wanking.
    duotone said:

I’m going to check the latest Namm videos, to see if they show what Fender/Squier models are coming out in September & then make a decision

Jazzmaster talk starts at 3:00mins

https://youtu.be/PSjQuPAKohg

Very cool, but much more cash than I’m willing to spend tbh. (£1535)

https://youtu.be/Cok5u132PJs
    edited July 2018
    Been keeping a look out on eBay & Reverb.

Thanks for your help all, it's made me look into the various models and know what preferences I do fancy now, so cheers for that!

Single coils + Classic dual-circuit design (“lead”/“rhythm”) and colour wise I'm not too fussy, although for some reason I don't love the gold colour scratchplates.  Have always fancied a cool blue colour guitar so maybe something like this is my kind of thing.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/ZoomJpg/10001/0372100572_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    duotone said:
    Been keeping a look out on eBay & Reverb.

Thanks for your help all, it's made me look into the various models and know what preferences I do fancy now, so cheers for that!

Single coils + Classic dual-circuit design (“lead”/“rhythm”) and colour wise I'm not too fussy, although for some reason I don't love the gold colour scratchplates.  Have always fancied a cool blue colour guitar so maybe something like this is my kind of thing.

https://www.fmicassets.com/Damroot/ZoomJpg/10001/0372100572_gtr_frt_001_rr.jpg
    I had one of those. 
    The fret dress on it was pretty bad but other than that it was an OK guitar. Not amazing but perfectly usable... below the 12th fret anyway
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom