Trapped Thai kids

What's Hot

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5382
    First kids have been rescued!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Superb news, but a long way to go. Fingers crossed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Forget penalty shoot-outs: this is real heart stopping stuff
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Amazing news. I sincerely hope they all make it out quickly before the rain causes any further problems 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9499
    edited July 2018
    57Deluxe said:
    going into the bowels of the earth seems a strange way to bond a football team...
    Buddhist temple-caves are part of a long historical tradition in north-eastern Thailand.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1129
    I wonder if the route in that the rescue team have found is different to the one the boys and their coach took to get in there? I mean, once they've found a route to them they would be a bit mad to spend a lot of time trying to find another one when chances are they will all be pretty sketchy.

My thought on the rescue was, why not use a really long pipe as a snorkel. So I did some research and it seems there are potential problems with snorkels under more than 2 feet of water - every day is a school day. But then I discovered a thing called SNUBA which is basically a snorkel system with a pressured supply. It's not regulated the same as SCUBA diving.

I imagine the rescue team have considered this, and many other options, so I'll happily bow down to their expertise on the subject. However, I am fascinated to know how they choose options.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Hi Chaps.  Thanks for all your comments.  Ive been away for the weekend but have been following the news and todays rescue story closely (well in-between the F1 commentary on the radio as I was driving back) and think its nothing short of miraculous that they have  managed to get the first 4 out ok.  Fingers are crossed that the rest come out safely as well.   I cant imagine how the parents must feel.  Its real heart in the most stuff.

• suspiciousmindssuspiciousminds Frets: 383
    edited July 2018
    Been following this on the news - the coach and his assistant need arresting.
    Who the hell would think taking a bunch of 11year old kids more than 2km underground in the rainy season is a good idea?
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    Who the hell would think taking a bunch of 11year old kids more than 2km underground in the rainy season is a good idea?
    I'm an experienced outdoor instructor with many qualifications, and I make poor judgements sometimes. If you're not an experienced caver, reading the conditions can be tricky. Admittedly, he had no business taking them into such a dangerous environment if he has no experience doing so, but even in this country I regularly see people doing ridiculous things like trying to do the Crib Goch scramble on Snowden in flip flops or going up the Ben with only a t shirt as it's "a nice day". 

Folks don't realise the seriousness of some outdoor environments. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Oh, yes, because his life probably isn't hell enough already.

Let's at least find out what happend first.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7744
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Thought they were very near entrance and a nearby river suddenly and without warning had a bank collapse and spill straight into the caves??? the reason they ended up so deep in the cave was to escape the water and stay alive.  If all that is true guy with the kids has done an amazing job keeping them alive 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    Reports I've read suggest going in the caves was an initiation ritual, something Thai kids do in that area to prove themselves.  
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Danny1969 said:
    Reports I've read suggest going in the caves was an initiation ritual, something Thai kids do in that area to prove themselves.  
    And did they pass?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Been following this on the news - the coach and his assistant need arresting.

?
    sorry but taking kids at least 2km underground as an initiation/teambuild etc is plain stupid.
    The “coach” is reported to have no caving experience whatsoever.
    l
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 874

?
    sorry but taking kids at least 2km underground as an initiation/teambuild etc is plain stupid.
    l
    There are so many conflicting reports of this story I hesitate to say anything, but we ate at a Thai restaurant a few days ago and the waitress said Thai news were saying the boys went in and the teacher went in afterwards to try and get them out.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Apparently 4 more have been rescued. It's s looking a lot better picture 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    Short interview with someone on the radio earlier who had been in a similar position there. Everything was fine, being taken around by guides and woosh a big wave out of nowhere. Her boyfriend tried to swim for help and drowned, she waited 16 hours in the dark thinking she might drown/ starve until someone found her. No proper rescue teams, just a local bloke with a torch and a big stick. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    revsorg said:

?
    l
    There are so many conflicting reports of this story I hesitate to say anything, but we ate at a Thai restaurant a few days ago and the waitress said Thai news were saying the boys went in and the teacher went in afterwards to try and get them out.
    @suspiciousminds and the above illustrates my point. Calling for jail time is stupid until they know exactly what happend.

If he went in after and kept them safe after a flash flood for 10 days then he is a mega fucking hero. 

Sure, if he led them in he's an irresponsible idiot. But even then I hope he's been doing his best to get the boys through it

Time will tell.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476
    I understand that people are urging caution and how we should avoid making snap judgements without all the facts, but this is social media, can't someone find out where he lives and post a pic of his house, we deserve justice!!!!!!!!!

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom