Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Fractal Thread

What's Hot

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    Am I right in assuming that a new FX8 (mk iii) is in the wings, as they have reduced the price of the old ones ?
    Fractal have been busy with the Axe-FX3, so I'm not sure if they have had the time or the resources to introduce a new FX8 model? They haven't even had time to fix the latest broken FX8 firmware from Nov 2017. Cliff did post in the FX8 forum recently confirmng they had been tied up with the Axe-FX3 launch, and when things calm down they'll have a look at the FX8 Mk 1 & 2 firmware.
    Interesting - what specifically was wrong with the November '17 firmware update?
    Can't do backups to the new Fractal Bot.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fx8-v5-04-released.132375/
    Does that matter though? If Cliff hasn't fixed it then it must be fine, on account of his omniscience and all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    DefaultM said:
    Freebird said:
    Freebird said:
    Am I right in assuming that a new FX8 (mk iii) is in the wings, as they have reduced the price of the old ones ?
    Fractal have been busy with the Axe-FX3, so I'm not sure if they have had the time or the resources to introduce a new FX8 model? They haven't even had time to fix the latest broken FX8 firmware from Nov 2017. Cliff did post in the FX8 forum recently confirmng they had been tied up with the Axe-FX3 launch, and when things calm down they'll have a look at the FX8 Mk 1 & 2 firmware.
    Interesting - what specifically was wrong with the November '17 firmware update?
    Can't do backups to the new Fractal Bot.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/fx8-v5-04-released.132375/
    Does that matter though? If Cliff hasn't fixed it then it must be fine, on account of his omniscience and all.
    PLEASE post that on the official forums. We'll all take bets on how quickly you get banned.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    sweepy said:
    The Fractal Forum is a very strange place indeed, any awkward questions and you are branded a Heretic :)

I agree with this, it's one of the most hostile forums I've been on - you do get good advice. But be prepared for condescending replies (where they haven't read your question) and slavish defence of Fractal (I love the product, but the III rollout and the FC footswitches hasn't been well handled, your device will still work if you admit that!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    peteri said:
    sweepy said:
    The Fractal Forum is a very strange place indeed, any awkward questions and you are branded a Heretic :)

I agree with this, it's one of the most hostile forums I've been on - you do get good advice. But be prepared for condescending replies (where they haven't read your question) and slavish defence of Fractal (I love the product, but the III rollout and the FC footswitches hasn't been well handled, your device will still work if you admit that!)

Yep, absolutely.

What really gets me is the constant arse-kissing of Cliff and the team, and the impression they are delivering the greatest customer service in the World - and that they seem to be the only company that support products after release. It amazes me how some people have such closed experiences!

Kind of annoys me as I'd love an AFX III, but the whole fiasco of the europe launch etc. has put me right off.
  • FarleyUK said:

Kind of annoys me as I'd love an AFX III, but the whole fiasco of the europe launch etc. has put me right off.
    This is what put me off, well partly. As well as all the nonsense on the forum.

I'm not going to pretend the Kemper forum is brilliant though, there are some weirdo's on there too - but, Kemper being a European company, there's a typical refrain that exists there that doesn't on the Fractal forum.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    FarleyUK said:

I'm not going to pretend the Kemper forum is brilliant though, there are some weirdo's on there too - but, Kemper being a European company, there's a typical refrain that exists there that doesn't on the Fractal forum.
    And possibly a sense of humour :)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

What upsets me is many of the Fractal Weirdos are European!

On another topic - I run my III at home, the same way as my AX8, summ'd (L+R) in the unit to one DXR-10, and I like the sound.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of getting a second speaker and running in stereo for the delays and reverbs mainly (possibly a bit of chorus, but I tend to run that ahead of the amp).

Space is a bit of an issue, so it's much better if I don't do it! Just wanted to ask, is it that much better? (I don't have any summing issues at the moment)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    peteri said:

On another topic - I run my III at home, the same way as my AX8, summ'd (L+R) in the unit to one DXR-10, and I like the sound.

Recently I've been toying with the idea of getting a second speaker and running in stereo for the delays and reverbs mainly (possibly a bit of chorus, but I tend to run that ahead of the amp).

Space is a bit of an issue, so it's much better if I don't do it! Just wanted to ask, is it that much better? (I don't have any summing issues at the moment)

I can't run in mono anymore.. I hate it. All my patches no matter what platform.. stereo delay + stereo flanger
  • sweepy said:
    FarleyUK said:

And possibly a sense of humour :)
    Haha, I'd agree with that!
    peteri said:

Stereo is always worth it!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    peteri said:

YES!

I run two DXR10'S, and the sound is immense. Have one either side of the drummer as a backline, and the stereo effects really fill the sound out.

Also helpful as I'm the only guitarist....
    Our omnipotent Lord and saviour has stated that what should be the final beta for q10 is with the beta testers.....

I'm going to guess it'll drop in a week.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    sweepy said:
    a bit like here and the helix thread
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    People love their Helices. :)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    edited July 2018
    They are both great bits f kit, it’s down to taste and budget, esp as an Axe F3 is 3 times the price of the Helix equivalent oh and don’t mention the fan ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Here's a question I haven't had answered successfully on the Fractal Forum - just a load of BS to be honest.

The one thing which is really frustrating me on the III - because there's no FCx available yet, I bought a MC6 from Thorpy - I've got everything working well apart from preset up and down.

I have the following:

My presets start at 420

So I have a footswitch which navigates me to 420 - works

I have a footswitch which sends PC Scroll Up - at this point works

I have a footswitch which sends PC Scroll Down - when I press this it starts scrolling from the end of the bank, which is useless

Then pressing the scroll up again makes the preset jump to the next preset from where I started.

Clearly the MC6 is keeping a memory of the programme it's on and sending that not a 'next programme' type construct.

Ok, so I connect the MC6 to the III (Midi in to the MC6) - meaning the III can now send programme information to the MC6, but (of course!) that means when I change preset on the III it changes the MC6 programme each time.

It seems to me, unless there's a bug in the MC6 - there's simply no way of having a foot controller move up and down presets, which is a joke.

I would buy any controller which would overcome this - it's very annoying!

Any ideas?

Sorry mate, wish I had a AFIII to be able to help...! Is there an official email you can contact to try and get help? I think the Fractal Facebook group is slightly less toxic - maybe try there as well?

On a tangent - what's everyone's high and low cut for the IR cab block set at? I use 2 DXR10's and normally had the cuts at 110Hz and 7KHz.... however, I've now changed it to 90Hz and 6.5Khz, and it seems a lot easier on the ears now.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    You have to do those cuts by ear.  It depends on too many factors to be able to give exact numbers.
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Never used a III but I'd have a look in the Midi settings to make sure it's not set up to start scrolling from the end of the bank. No idea why you'd want to do that but worth checking to see if it's an easy fix.
    Fixed it! It's on the MC6, both scroll up and down need to be in the same slot - obvious once you know it!
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7271
    What happened on the fractal forum to make them post that annoying banner at the top of the page?