Are these "Fender" machine heads genuine?

I have a Squier Affinity Tele for which I am considering a few upgrades. I don't want to denigrate anyone if this is genuine but looking at the pictures and other stuff on offer from the same seller I am suspicious of these tuners. I would appreciate a second opinion https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-machine-head-tuners-6R-black-chrome-stratocaster-telecaster-right-hand/153071466774?hash=item23a3c53916:g:B44AAOSwPbla2G2w
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    you can get locking machineheads for a similar price tbh
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    I'm going to call fake.

Although Gotoh, Ping or Jin-Ho machineheads would not be out of place on a Mexican-made Fender electric guitar, if they have any legend on the gear housings, it is either the CBS-era script or just the reversed F. 

Spaghetti script engraved on the circular inserts is a new one on me. Chender.
    Be seeing you.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9501
    I don't think Fender have ever made their own tuning machines themselves (at least in recent years), but these are the only black tuners available on the Fender site: https://shop.fender.com/en-GB/parts/electric-guitar-parts/tuning-machines/?prefn1=color&prefv1=Black

Pretty sure they're fake then, and almost certainly not an upgrade on what Fender put on the Squier Affinities.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I think they're real, but they're off a far-east Fender. I'm pretty sure I've seen the chrome version on a Fender guitar (stock) recently, but I can't remember exactly what...

Bear in mind that the description is incorrect though - they need a *10mm* hole, not 8mm. If your headstock has 8mm holes you will need to bore out the back to fit them, which is a slightly tricky job without the right tools.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• sweepy said:
    you can get locking machineheads for a similar price tbh
    Yes thanks, I have seen them. I was just curious to see what others thought about the ones offered in the link. I bought the Squier Tele to mod but I was surprised how good it is so I'm not sure If I will do much to it. The pickups are a bit noisey but then they are single coils. Compared with the Squier Strat I have in pieces for modification this Tele seems much better built.