NGD - Another strat

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
Over the last few months I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m most definitely at home playing Fender guitars. There’s something about the scale length and necks that just feel right to me.  

As a result I was able to work out a trade with @Boromedic (who is a fantastic chap) for this lovely Fender 50’s Classic Player in shoreline gold.

https://imgur.com/a/csYGjxk
https://imgur.com/a/KoVubMl

Two very different sounding strats but both equally having their place as the 50’s is a very straty sounding strat and the 70’s is a little more punchy (though still sounding like it should). 

I have long been a fan of the Classic Player series and would urge anyone wanting to get either a Strat or a Tele to try one out even against the lower priced American guitars as I really don’t think you get more bang for your buck.  

Obviously whats missing is the 60’s Classic Player......
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    Aaaaand another one joins the fold. Great guitars aren't they?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    horsehead said:
    Aaaaand another one joins the fold. Great guitars aren't they?
    They certainly are mate. I’ve had quite a few of the 70’s classic players over the year and love them, it’s the big U neck. 

The neck on this is quite different but very comfortable, 9.5 radius helps with bends too. 
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Ooooo what a lovely pair!
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    shaunm said:
    Over the last few months I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m most definitely at home playing Fender guitars. There’s something about the scale length and necks that just feel right to me.  

As a result I was able to work out a trade with @Boromedic (who is a fantastic chap) for this lovely Fender 50’s Classic Player in shoreline gold.

https://imgur.com/a/csYGjxk
    https://imgur.com/a/KoVubMl
    Glad we could work out the trade and I'm pleased you're happy too fella. Thanks for the kind words it's very much appreciated, twas a pleasure doing the trade with you aswell. Can't wait to try out thee Sheraton soon, looking forward to it very much.

I've got a few NGD's saved up for my return home now, might do one a week! Hahaha

I do feel a little bit sad to see the 50's CP go, it was a great guitar which became even better after being fettled by Nige at Leicestershire Luthier and played amazingly well. The guitar I've owned the longest other than my Les Paul, however I know I'm not a laquered maple fretboard fan anymore so the time had come to let someone else share the love!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've loved that Shoreline Gold CP50's Strat ever since it first came out. I've seen one that had a hardware swap to gold and it looked a bit too much but as they come, like yours, they're stunning.

I highly recommend you look into the feasibility of swapping the tremolo block for the one fitted to the American Pro (Which I have).
    They've redesigned the arm and socket so it's push fit, into a nylon bush with a grub screw for arm tension. It's transformed using a Strat tremolo for me and the arm has been redesigned too so it sits higher out of its socket and is at a much more usable height.

Honestly, Fender has done such a great job with this, the plan all along was to fit a non-fine tuner FR but this original unit is so good it's almost impossible to follow the plan and do that now. @SteveRobinson made the bone nut which was recently re-cut by @FelineGuitars for bigger strings and Jon also fitted locking tuners. I use Music Nomad string lube in the nut and honestly the things I can do with this factory tremolo leave me in disbelief.
    Vintage style locking tuners are available for your guitar, I'm pretty sure. I know Gotoh make them and I'm fairly sure Fender do, but not 100%. They're SO worth fitting it's silly. My Fender tuners required no modification at all and look and work beyond brilliantly.
    I also use Gotoh HD springs (Two) and they've transformed the feel of the arm in use. There was a massive difference between them and the factory springs.

A Strat is essential to me.
    I couldn't live without mine.

HNGD.
    My lovely old Classic Player, which Shaun is now enjoying already has a cold rolled steel trem block installed, and inside the block is a nylon sleeve which locks the arm into place so there is no side to side movement. The arm is firm in the block, it was a great buy from eBay! It also comes stock with locking tuners, which I thought were awesome too. Perfect tuning stability and flawless in use even with the stock springs, although the trem is covered in copper grease after Nigel did the setup. He swears by it!

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11670
    Happy NGD!

So the Classic Player is the "top end" mexi range?

I have a 2002 Mexican Strat in Blue, but I often wonder if I'd love strats more if I had a different one!
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2014
    Aren't the 70s just Classics, not Classic Players?  7.25" radius boards etc, whereas the CP50s/ 60s have more modern appointments?
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    I agree that these are more than a match for the am std in my book. If the neck was that bit fatter I'd be all over a 50s CP- HNGD!!
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Chuffola said:
    Aren't the 70s just Classics, not Classic Players?  7.25" radius boards etc, whereas the CP50s/ 60s have more modern appointments?
    I believe so, but not sure why. A CP 70s Strat would be great imo 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    Love Shoreline gold, gorgeous finish.

I do prefer vintage appointments though. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    I agree that these are more than a match for the am std in my book. If the neck was that bit fatter I'd be all over a 50s CP- HNGD!!
    Loved the quality of mine but hated the v neck, what a stupid idea : )  Much prefer c shape.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    edited July 2018
    Shoreline Gold CP 50's user here too.

Wonderful guitars that punch WELL above their weight, in fact I struggle to understand why you would buy a US standard?

@Alnico @Boromedic ; - where did you get the Trem Blocks from?

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    welshboyo said:

Wonderful guitars that punch WELL above their weight, in fact I struggle to understand why you would buy a US standard?

Mine came with the guitar. It's a feature on the new 'Pro', however it's still a std style cast block, it just has the new arm and fitment.

I would have had a 'Kev-Block' made by now but I'm having Jon at Feline rout the body for a non-fine tuner type Floyd Rose next year when the guitar has it's refret done and I can live with what Fender gave me until then.
    welshboyo said:

Mine was just one I found on eBay that fit the two post Mexi plate. It was about 6 years ago now, but will see if I can find the seller mate.

edited July 2018
    @welshboyo I've tried finding the seller on eBay but I've failed miserably. Even going back through PayPal transactions has drawn a blank. Sorry fella...

Edit: Alnicos post about KevBlocks got me thinking and I did a Google search and came up with this user: 
    kevinh3324

He has nothing for sale, however surely it's the same guy? I bet this is the block I purchased back then. Actually checking my feedback his name is on there so it was indeed the aforementioned seller!

• welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1808
    Boromedic said:
    @welshboyo I've tried finding the seller on eBay but I've failed miserably. Even going back through PayPal transactions has drawn a blank. Sorry fella...

Edit: Alnicos post about KevBlocks got me thinking and I did a Google search and came up with this user: kevinh3324

He has nothing for sale, however surely it's the same guy? I bet this is the block I purchased back then. Actually checking my feedback his name is on there so it was indeed the aforementioned seller!
    Thanks Mate!!
    No worries :)

• Gerz6558Gerz6558 Frets: 761
    Can't quite tell from the photos on the first post, but has the pickguard been changed to mint? I have the original stark white pickguard and its the only thing visually I don't like about the guitar.

On a side note, I've been thinking of getting rid to get an American Original but I'm struggling to see how it could be that much better. These really are great, other than the sticky neck in the hot weather lately.  Seems a bit ridiculous to spend nearly a grand more just because the nitro would wear in nicely on the neck...
    Nope, it's the original single ply scratchplate that came with it.