New to loop switching, please help

What's Hot
YounghuggyYounghuggy Frets: 0
Hi guys, first post on here. 
I'm wondering if anyone can help, as my title suggests  - I'm not over familiar with loop switching. As easy as my problem sounds, I can't seem to work it out.
On my pedal board rig, I am wanting to be able to switch on my boost pedal and a reverb to make my solo sound fuller at the same time. I would like to still be able to use these effects independently and on top of other effects. I.e not in a separate loop. I have an aby pedal, and have been looking to get the boss LS 2, but not sure if they would solve my problem. Any help would be much appreciated.
Rob.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    edited July 2018
    Look at a basic switcher like a Joyo pxl. most of those allowing simultaneous pedals to be switched on are programmable so you have to create presets with various combinations of pedal on/off. The order will still be in series so will stack if you select multiples in a preset. More complicated like the BOSS es-8 do involved midi patch switching, banks/presets  and can change the pedal order. 
  • Thanks for your reply Winny. 
    I was hoping for something more compact, as these are the only 2 I need to come on together. Do you know of anything more simplistic / smaller?
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7761
    edited July 2018
  • Thanks Winny, looks like I'm gonna have to settle for something large. Was hoping for something pedal sized. Thanks for your help, I'll have a good look at them.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993
    do the verb and loop sit next to each other in the chain?
  • Hi sgosden, they can do. I've thought about practicing pressing both at once, but I'm worried I'll miss one of them at a crucial point.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

just aim for the boost first, a split second of no verb won't be noticeable to anyone other than yourself.

• SporkySporky Frets: 27967
    I don't think there's a simple solution that lets you switch them independently and together. I suppose something with four buttons (boost only, reverb only, both, neither) but that'd inevitably be fairly big.

I therefore favour the idea of just hitting both whenever you need to, and not worrying if it takes another half a beat for the reverb to start.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26878
    Could you not just have a simple 2-loop switcher that has the 2 buttons close enough together that you could hit both at once with a single foot?

Something like a ChaseBliss-type switch layout (i.e. a switch in each of the front-most corners) but obviously with 2 identical bypass circuits inside. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    Sporky said:
    I don't think there's a simple solution that lets you switch them independently and together. I suppose something with four buttons (boost only, reverb only, both, neither) but that'd inevitably be fairly big.

I therefore favour the idea of just hitting both whenever you need to, and not worrying if it takes another half a beat for the reverb to start.

Agreed. The four-button doodad you suggest would almost certainly need to be custom built (I don't think anyone makes one), and it seems like a complicated and costly solution (even more so if the pedals aren't adjacent in the signal chain) to something I'd struggle to call a problem to begin with.

Of course, a dedicated programmable loop switcher would be capable of considerably more than that one job, so might actually be worth the outlay for some players.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Thanks guys. Been doing a bit of reading to try and understand how they work. If I just buy a single looper I could put my boost and reverb into that loop. If I needed to use them independently I could leave the loop activated and just use them in the normal manner. I've even found one with a momentary switch for short boosts. Does this sound right?
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    Thanks guys. Been doing a bit of reading to try and understand how they work. If I just buy a single looper I could put my boost and reverb into that loop. If I needed to use them independently I could leave the loop activated and just use them in the normal manner. I've even found one with a momentary switch for short boosts. Does this sound right?

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Thanks guys. Been doing a bit of reading to try and understand how they work. If I just buy a single looper I could put my boost and reverb into that loop. If I needed to use them independently I could leave the loop activated and just use them in the normal manner. I've even found one with a momentary switch for short boosts. Does this sound right?
    Yup. It just means that your boost is likely to come after any overdrive pedals which is not an issue if you want to increase volume rather than gain. 
    If you have a specific requirement,  it might be worth contacting Bright Onion or Wee Lush. They both do small, simple and cheap loopers and can be customised to meet your exact requirements. 
  • Thanks Beexter, I have my boost after gain anyway. Funny you should mention it, I've just ordered the momentary switch looper from wee lush fx.