The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Aaaand Max has crashed again...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    It’s kind of his thing.  He was jealous of Grosjean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Vettel passes the new improved Williams as it trundles along the pitlane ... :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    If being Kevin Magnusen means being a twat then he had it coming, it was a Maldonarsehole style stunt.
    Garthy said:
    If being Kevin Magnusen means being a twat then he had it coming, it was a Maldonarsehole style stunt.
    Same old crap, jinking towards people on the straight.  The stewards have let him off with it, bizarrely.
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    I'm confused, a really excellent race weekend, and no opinions or comments from you lot?! What's going on???
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    PC_Dave said:
    I'm confused, a really excellent race weekend, and no opinions or comments from you lot?! What's going on???
    New rules .. stewards can play a Joker at any time in the race by having a safety car period .. certainly spiced things up but without Hamilton's poor start and a few crashes it would have been boring. Hamilton showed what's wrong with F1 in under 10 laps.

Fretwired said:
    PC_Dave said:
    New rules .. stewards can play a Joker at any time in the race by having a safety car period .. certainly spiced things up but without Hamilton's poor start and a few crashes it would have been boring. Hamilton showed what's wrong with F1 in under 10 laps.
    Hamilton shows me what's wrong with F1 every time he speaks. Or shows up.
    PC_Dave said:
    Fretwired said:
    PC_Dave said:
    I don't get the hate. He's a council estate kid whose done well through hard work and talent and some luck .. I prefer him to the spoilt, papered brat that was Rosberg.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Are you guys all Sky watchers? 

Eddie Jordon did a piece before the C4 qualifying show ranting about the woes at Williams and McLaren which was quite entertaining.
    Are you guys all Sky watchers? 

Eddie Jordon did a piece before the C4 qualifying show ranting about the woes at Williams and McLaren which was quite entertaining.
    Saw that. He then interviewed the head of McClaren. I thought his comments were fair. Claire Williams was about as convincing as Theresa May. Getting a manufacturer like Porsche onboard is the only way that team will survive. They just lost more sponsorship.

Watching Hamilton carve his way through the field from the back to sixth in under 10 laps shows the gulf. There are four cars and Red Bull. The rest are basically varying degrees of rubbish. Felt sorry for Max and Daniel .. that Renault engine lacked grunt. I'd love to see a Mercedes engine in a Red Bull as that chassis looks awesome.

Fretwired said:
    PC_Dave said:
    Fretwired said:
    PC_Dave said:
    I don't get the hate. He's a council estate kid whose done well through hard work and talent and some luck .. I prefer him to the spoilt, papered brat that was Rosberg.
    I don't doubt the talent, in fact i totally believe he is one of the best racing drivers ever, I just despise his attitude. He's a petulant child who moans when it's going wrong, it's never, ever his fault. Hashtag God Bless etc etc.

He bats on about Silverstone being his home GP, which it technically is, but he hasn't resided in the UK for quite a long time..............
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All my humble opinion, of course...
    Apparently Hamilton was ‘too exhausted’ to be interviewed by Brundle after the race.

Must’ve been out of breath after constantly whinging over the radio for the entire race.
    edited July 2018
    Cols said:
    Apparently Hamilton was ‘too exhausted’ to be interviewed by Brundle after the race.

Must’ve been out of breath after constantly whinging over the radio for the entire race.
    You try it .... they all whinge .. Seb, Kimi, Max, Fernando .. its a tough sport .. it was hot and tense .. Hamilton said he lost 3 kg in body fluids and felt drained. He still managed to take on fluids and go and meet the crowd afterwards ..

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Hamilton seems in an odd place psychologically, don't be surprised if he quits this year or takes a year Out
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Fretwired said:

Watching Hamilton carve his way through the field from the back to sixth in under 10 laps shows the gulf. There are four cars and Red Bull. The rest are basically varying degrees of rubbish. Felt sorry for Max and Daniel .. that Renault engine lacked grunt. I'd love to see a Mercedes engine in a Red Bull as that chassis looks awesome.
    This exactly. It looks exciting but really isn't. Most of the midfield didn't put up a fight. They know they're underpowered by comparison and it's better to let him through. Hammy going past Alonso... christ, no wonder Fernando's fucked off. 

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited July 2018
    I was at work on nights so didn't see the race live, watched it on catch up. It was a great race and the safety cars spiced it up at the end, I think they were warranted both times for once. So many high speed corners at Silverstone it's safest for the stewards.

I'm not sure I agree there's anything wrong with F1 in terms of the gulf in speed between the top teams and the rest. Can you name me a season since the early 80's where outside of the top 2 or 3 teams who have capitalised on the latest regs, there are others capable of gunning for wins or the title? I can't? The difference back in the 80's and 90's was increased retirements etc. which meant someone from midfield could capitalise, doesn't happen so much at all now.

Or you'd get someone exceptional like Senna in 1984 with Toleman. Ferrari/Mclaren/Williams dominated the early to mid 80's, McLaren dominated the late 80's and early 90's. Williams again absolutely made a joke of the field when Mansell won the title in 1992, they all dominated the pack in their eras. Schumacher mixed it with the Benetton against the Williams but they were both ahead of the rest too. Then onto the Schumacher/Hakkinen battles, Ferrari domination. I could go on but you get the drift, as F1 became more and more technical courtesy of the money and the likes of Colin Chapman/Gordon Murray/Newey, it was always inevitable. The action was closer back then of course thanks to less aero and tyre issues and there were more surprise results, but more often than not it was the top teams of the day winning.

Can't say there's been too much wrong with this season, except for the stupid tyre saving and pace management which has bugged me a lot. At least there is a fight between the top two as opposed to a fight between the drivers in one team. As for the Lewis hate, I just don't get it, typical of the Brits to put down one of our best sports stars. Easily one of the best ever and he still gets slagged off, he can't win but I think he knows and doesn't care. Good luck to him, he's a decent fella as far as I'm concerned and I hope he can beat Vettel but whoever wins this year will have earned it.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired said:
    Cols said:

You try it .... they all whinge .. Seb, Kimi, Max, Fernando .. its a tough sport .. it was hot and tense .. Hamilton said he lost 3 kg in body fluids and felt drained. He still managed to take on fluids and go and meet the crowd afterwards ..
    They do indeed; Seb 'blue flags' Vettel, Fernando 'GP2 engine' Alonso, Kimi 'I know what I'm doing' Raikkonen.  Lewis just seems to have an inexhaustible capacity to continue to moan long past the point where it could have any useful effect.

It's his massive persecution complex that really gets on my nerves; the seeming suspicion that everyone, including his own team, are somehow conspiring to sabotage his chances.  Take Sunday as a case in point; after the incident he went on for ages about the car being damaged, despite his engineer repeatedly assuring him that it was fine.  Later on he moaned at length about the strategy and needed continual reassurance.  And then, after the race, effectively accused Raikkonen of committing a professional foul.

His swashbuckling drive through the field to take second was utterly magnificent.  The petulant antics that surrounded it only serve to diminish his accomplishment; he would have been better served to put his head down and stoically get on with it.

To quote Mark Hughes: "Hamilton sulked across the line in second, Räikkönen impassive in third."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26754
    Wis for @Boromedic ;

F1 has always been unequal, and it always will be unless it turns into a spec series.

What I do miss is the days when reliability was lower so you never knew who would be on the podium. between say 1998 to 2001 or so, you knew that it would be some combination of Hakkinen, Coulthard, Schumacher and Irvine/Barrichello if they all finished, but they didn't always, which left space for drivers from Williams, Jordan, Stewart/Jaguar, Benetton, BAR and even Prost (once!) to get podiums.

Now we have Red Bull having a good shot, and occasionally Perez nicks one, or you get a batshit race and Stroll is somehow up there by the last lap. But the others have no chance. I miss that element greatly - how many times has Hulkenberg finished well clear of the rest of the midfield but behind the top 3 teams because they're bulletproof and simply faster? In "the old days" he would have had at least some podiums by now, if not wins
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom