Do Gibson's naturally age?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Young ppl who become cash rich in the future won't be fucked with blues-rock and Les Pauls. They'll be playing offsets just like the indie bands of today. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 871
    My once white les Paul studio from 94 is now an off white thing with yellow edges.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rossirossi Frets: 1698
    You have been able to get get UV stable clear   for quite a few years   I believe..
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    I beg to differ...... I've got a 2008 LP Traditional that isn't a gloss finish. Never seen another LP like it, but after years of hard playing, it's looking pretty aged already:

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I'm already saving up for the LP centenary models.
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Young ppl who become cash rich in the future won't be fucked with blues-rock and Les Pauls. They'll be playing offsets just like the indie bands of today. 
    I don't think you’ll see cash-rich people in the future. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2304
    FarleyUK said:
    I beg to differ...... I've got a 2008 LP Traditional that isn't a gloss finish. Never seen another LP like it, but after years of hard playing, it's looking pretty aged already:

That is gorgeous! Refinished by a previous owner maybe, or have you had it from new?
    Tim
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Thanks!

I'm the only owner, had it from new :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    If Gibson keep on releasing clear finish LP's with shitty tops as the 2018 range then I don't think any checking or ageing is going to make it look like a more desirable instrument to be honest.  I mean, look at this stinker:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-standard-in-mojave-burst-lps18mvch1180019205

Someone at the factory must have been blind drunk when choosing those tops.  The grains are so washed out and thin I'd rather just have a solid colour Les Paul.

Back to your original question, as Farley has shown, I think if you gig a Gibbo regularly then the finish will wear. 

The only guitars that I've had any signs of wear since I owned them are my AVRI Strat and Tele but their finishes are so thin that you even look at them the wrong way and you'll get a paint chip!  Not that I mind!
  • EdPhelanEdPhelan Frets: 6
    FarleyUK said:

Very, very, very nice!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    edited July 2018

Is this one of those "guess the word missing from the title" threads? I'm going with "finishes".

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    DLM said:

Is this one of those "guess the word missing from the title" threads? I'm going with "finishes".

you may well be right, well spotted 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16542
    DLM said:

I think it’s “modern”
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Arktik83 said:
    If Gibson keep on releasing clear finish LP's with shitty tops as the 2018 range then I don't think any checking or ageing is going to make it look like a more desirable instrument to be honest.  I mean, look at this stinker:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/electric-guitars/gibson-usa-2018-les-paul-standard-in-mojave-burst-lps18mvch1180019205

Someone at the factory must have been blind drunk when choosing those tops.  The grains are so washed out and thin I'd rather just have a solid colour Les Paul.

Back to your original question, as Farley has shown, I think if you gig a Gibbo regularly then the finish will wear. 

The only guitars that I've had any signs of wear since I owned them are my AVRI Strat and Tele but their finishes are so thin that you even look at them the wrong way and you'll get a paint chip!  Not that I mind!
    Why is that a shitty top? That looks far more like the real random top you'd get on a 50s Gibson than most of the photoflame lookalikes you usually see now. 

I'd much rather have something which looked like an old stripped Gold Top than a 200 Cort. 
  • Has anybody has any colour change with pelham blue over time?
    Couple of years back my pelham junior special developed about a dozen on so tiny “white” spots where the sun had hit it whilst on a stand - literally appeared in a day - no crazing or cracking though.
    There was no way something mite have been sprayed or splashed on it.
    A handful polished out but not totally.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    WezV said:
    DLM said:

I think it’s “modern”

@WezV I've no idea where to put that. :confounded:

;)

• WezVWezV Frets: 16542
    Do modern Gibson’s....