Ricky Bass for €5

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    ICBM said:

I do only use one bass at gigs in the current originals band. Having said that, there's times when I would really like to get a good tonal contrast between some songs - you'd have to hear them to see what I mean, but one of the reasons I have put an active circuit in the ACG is to get some more variation to contrast between songs - some need more mids, some need more scooping, and some need that traditional P thump. It's a shame I don't like Jazz basses as it would be the perfect complement for a 2 bass setup. 
    That's partly why I like the Rick - two pickups, which can do very radically different sounds. For the band I'm in at the moment I rarely use anything other than the bridge pickup, but I have used the neck in the past.

Also - and I'm not just trying to wind you up here - there is no style of music where a fretted bass is used that can't be played on a Precision . If you want more tonal variation, you can do that with the amp.
    Guitar bit snipped - I'm not going down that rabbit hole. Not in the bass section.

Again, it's about what you want out of your bass sound. I'm happy with the standard precision tone in every song we do. But for some, a bit of variation would be good. To an extent the new preamp will bring a lot of that. I can't agree with the amp bit though. In some, and maybe most circumstances then yes, but there's lots of time where I don't or can't bring a backline as it's provided, or there isn't room, or bass has to go through the PA due to space constraints etc. I'd say 50% of the time I'm not going through a trad amp and cab setup. Maybe even more. 

In those circumstances I use a preamp pedal - and yes, it gives some variance, and I'm trying lots to see what might be best, but ultimately they give *some* tonal variation - but not to the extent I get between a P and my semi Ibanez.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    I don't take my own bass amp to gigs either usually - I use whatever is provided. In my experience most bass amps have powerful enough EQ to get any sensible bass sound - I've only ever come across one house bass amp I couldn't get 'my' sound out of - and in fact, I was so worried that I would kill it if I tried - it was an old underpowered Carlsbro thing with a 12" speaker - that I phoned a friend of a friend and managed to borrow something far better from a couple of streets away. If that hadn't been available I would have had to make do and DI it.

I would agree that the semi-acoustic will sound a lot different from the P-Bass though, whatever it's going through. That's also why if I get a fretless, it will most likely be at least a semi-hollow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    I don't take my own bass amp to gigs either usually - I use whatever is provided. In my experience most bass amps have powerful enough EQ to get any sensible bass sound - I've only ever come across one house bass amp I couldn't get 'my' sound out of - and in fact, I was so worried that I would kill it if I tried - it was an old underpowered Carlsbro thing with a 12" speaker - that I phoned a friend of a friend and managed to borrow something far better from a couple of streets away. If that hadn't been available I would have had to make do and DI it.

I would agree that the semi-acoustic will sound a lot different from the P-Bass though, whatever it's going through. That's also why if I get a fretless, it will most likely be at least a semi-hollow.
    The more festivals I play, the more I’m seeing “it’s DI for bass and that’s it”

No backline and no space for it. So I take a DI pedal and my frfr which I can get away with as a monitor. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Bridgehouse said:
    The more festivals I play, the more I’m seeing “it’s DI for bass and that’s it”. No backline and no space for it. So I take a DI pedal and my frfr which I can get away with as a monitor. 
    Interesting RIC 4001 alternative at 2:40.

Be seeing you.
    Bridgehouse said:
    The more festivals I play, the more I’m seeing “it’s DI for bass and that’s it”. No backline and no space for it. So I take a DI pedal and my frfr which I can get away with as a monitor. 
    Interesting RIC 4001 alternative at 2:40.

I’m still not convinced 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    I’m still not convinced 
    I chanced upon the Tech 21 GED-2112 video after viewing their Fly Rig Bass product demonstration video. It just happened to be next on the YouTube autoplay suggestion list.

My comments about the faux RIC bass sound were not intended for you. 

Chances are, the Geddy Lee "noisy bastard" middle finger playing technique is going to make most bass guitars sound like he does.
    Be seeing you.