The Fretboard Cover Challenge #1

What's Hot

Comments

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1806
    poopot said:
    I haz intro ;)

I has full track with only vocals left to add... ;)

Better check I can sing it in the key I've gone for :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    horse said:
    I can't think past this gem of a cover from 1989 - great album too

That's a great version 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    poopot said:
    I haz intro ;)

Blimings!.... will bang out some more tomorrow hopefully... 
    poopot said:
    poopot said:
    I haz intro ;)

Blimings!.... will bang out some more tomorrow hopefully... 
    It's not a race. Loads and loads of time left. 

And just because it was done quickly doesn't mean it's good! 

Oops. That was close. I'd transposed it to E and ended up needing to sing most of the choruses up the octave rather than in the lower register for the right effect.... Literally just manage to push out the top notes. I think I couldn't have gone any higher without falsetto 
    Ok, I haz “vocals” of sorts and an almost finished tune!... will polish the turd a bit more tomorrow... maybe we have the start of a playlist!...
    Ladies and gentlemen we now have an official Email address to send your tracks to:

covers@thefretboard.co.uk 

@poopot has very kindly set it up and is the one overseeing the emails so tag him if you have any related queries. 

My OP stated we'd wait until all entries are in before posting a playlist. I think that the surprise element could be better for this challenge. But there's no reason we couldn't post entries as they arrive as that can give people idea and keep the threads fresh. Happy to go with the majority on this 
    I’m easy either way... happy to wait... keen to hear!..,
    Right... Im done... No more tweaking... Its as bad as its gonna get!...
  • enjoenjo Frets: 250
    I've sort of figured out what I 'could' do... it remains to be seen if I actually do the doing though!
    I'm pretty much finished. I ended up making the short of track you'd find on a "cheesy soft rock for driving CD" you might get for father's day. 
    Anyone else? From a few DM's I know there are a few of you out there putting stuff together :)
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 581
    Back from Austria!  So I can start on this on the weekend ... so many ideas now, just have to choose which way to go with it.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    poopot said:
    Anyone else? From a few DM's I know there are a few of you out there putting stuff together :)

I'm still in for this one, I've got my "influences" pretty straight in my head now I think but I do need to learn the solo on guitar rather than synth I think.

The tune doesn't seem too bad, for those considering singing, there's not a lot of range to it and it's just a case of picking the right key I think. I think I'm in D or E at the moment but that is subject to change when I add the vocal effects as to what sounds better...

I think I've written I think too many times there. I think
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    Cool!... the track lends itself quite easily to creating different versions!... I’ve heard two of them and they are both brilliant and are polar opposites musically!...

cant wait to hear the rest!.
    @thecolourbox make sure you check your key for vocals before recording. I recorded mine in E as I was using a lot of open E and B strings
    . I then discovered I needed to sing the chorus up the octave for the right effect. I just managed it without falsetto as there are lots of G# and F#s. It's easy if you sing it in the lower register but that might struggle to cut through depending on the guitar tone you use. 
    ^ this.

i did mine in the original key and the chorus was either too low or too high... went with both in the end :) not that I can sing... can just about fart out a note!...
    Bezzer said:
    Back from Austria!  So I can start on this on the weekend ... so many ideas now, just have to choose which way to go with it.

Look forward to hearing what you come up with. FWIW I ended up going with cheesy dads soft rock and poopot went with sleazy funk 
    Bezzer said:

Look forward to hearing what you come up with. FWIW I ended up going with cheesy dads soft rock and poopot went with sleazy funk 
    Sleazy? Creepy more like :) 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    Ah yes I know my vocal range quite precisely so have a fairly simple way of pitching songs to keys by taking the highest and lowest degrees of the scale and matching it to what my ranges are in each keys. My guitar is tuned up a semitone which is why i can't remember which key it is (as if I'm playing a D it's actually a D# etc), but I will basically be A-shape using barre chords so it doesn't matter too much on this one which key it's in as long as it's down that end of the neck.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic