Lacquer cracks at nut - thoughts?

What's Hot
redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
Just received this guitar, second hand but from a well known shop who described it as in superb condition with only very minor scratches.

It has these lacquer cracks on either side of the nut.

https://m.imgur.com/rRmJ4OV
https://m.imgur.com/wV8RGXa

They don’t appear structural, but what do people think. Could there be anything hidden here?

I’m definitely going to contact the seller.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Zodiac51Zodiac51 Frets: 340
    How much did you pay 2nd hand for the made in China Epiphone? I only ask as I'm not sure what you expected for the money?

Nut fit looks awful, but it probably left the factory like that. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    In what container(s) did the music store ship the guitar? It may have taken a knock in transit. 
    Be seeing you.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6021
    Zodiac51 said:
    How much did you pay 2nd hand for the made in China Epiphone? I only ask as I'm not sure what you expected for the money?

Does it matter what was paid? The store described it as superb with only minor scratches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745
    In what container(s) did the music store ship the guitar? It may have taken a knock in transit. 
    It is possible. Gig bag albeit packed decently in a lot of packing material.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 745

JezWynd said:
    Zodiac51 said:

Does it matter what was paid? The store described it as superb with only minor scratches.
    This! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Could be simple expansion and contraction - especially in the current weather. 

Zodiac51 said:
    Nut fit looks awful but it probably left the factory like that. 
    The cracks in the photographs are in places where they might be expected to appear during unsympathetic nut removal, refitting or slot filing work.
    Be seeing you.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    They're not in the wood since they run across the grain not with it. It could be the result of the headstock being flexed backwards but not far enough to break it, or temperature-related shrinkage.

It could have happened in shipping if the box was dropped, or possibly if it was left somewhere very cold, although that wouldn't apply at this time of year unless it was shipped by air - heat is much less likely to do that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

I’m definitely going to contact the seller.
    Point out the defects. Use your distance selling customer rights to request either the return of the guitar and a refund or some partial refund to reflect the guitar's less than "superb" condition.
    Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    I have the same explorer, mine doesn’t have those cracks and it’s been accidentally dropped off the stand by the young one. 
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Agree with what's said above, the headstock has taken an impact and cracked the lacquer. Probably as suggested, whilst in transit. Take more photos and contact the shop to see what your next move may be, they probably will want to raise a claim with the parcel company. 

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    Boromedic said:
    Agree with what's said above, the headstock has taken an impact and cracked the lacquer. Probably as suggested, whilst in transit. Take more photos and contact the shop to see what your next move may be, they probably will want to raise a claim with the parcel company. 
    With which they will have no luck if it was sent in a gig bag, no matter how well packed.

Look on the bright side, at least it was an Epiphone with a proper scarf-jointed headstock, not a Gibson...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Hahaha, yeah probably I never thought of that. It's a shame couriers are such vandals, I used to work for Royal Mail and never dreamed of treating peoples parcels like that. Cnuts.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    trauma induced of some description for sure. Also see is a scarf joint... how is the tuning and intonation stability??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>