Pocket Pod or similar as busking monitor through earphones?

thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9697
edited June 2018 in FX

Hi all,

Wasn't sure which category this should go in, as it covers Acoustic guitar, FX, and playing Live. But I've gone for FX primarily because it's the fx unit I'm hoping will solve the other two.

I'm hopefully playing at a "Picnic in the Park" type event in July, in an acoustic tent, playing acoustic and singing. Which is odd given my strengths do not lean towards playing acoustic or singing, but that's another ball game entirely.

Anyway, when I played it last year, I struggled to hear the guitar a bit as there is also a louder main stage at the same event which was overspilling a bit in my left ear. This meant my singing, particularly on the lower notes, was a bit off, and also that my playing had to be a bit more brash strummning than I'd have liked in order to hear it. They had a couple of those rechargable PA type speakers which sounded great out front but had no monitoring back. I play a child proportion guitar (Big Baby Taylor) so the volume is naturally quite low acoustically, and I do have issues with background noise in general (misophoniac I am told!) so I was wondering about how I might fix this so I can "play my own game" a bit more rather than having to strum really loudly.

Could I use something like a Line 6 Pocket Pod (Express version I guess is cheapest) or similar battery powered multi fx, use a headphone out to my left ear, then the amp out put to the PA speakers? If so, are there any other similar such units that I could somehow attach to my belt in the same way (thinking camera bag/case type thing)? Cheaper the better as I don't make a habit of doing busking type gigs.

Thinking I could also add a bit of reverb to the guitar as well which might sound nicer than the usual quacky acoustic sound. Hoping it has an option to turn off amp model or just something clean or flat

I do have a Zoom G3 which works on batteries but it's too big to wear on a belt and my earphones wouldn't stretch from the floor.

Thanks in advance
Matt
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    Headphone extension cables are quite cheap...

... but I have a Pocket Pod I could sell you if you like :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Pocket Pods are notoriously noisy and can pick up all manner of interference easily... I wouldn't...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Pocket pod would work, just come up with a way to fill the set as you change batteries between every song! :)
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9697
    Ahh right  thanks guys, doesn't sound good then. A cable from the floor to my ear does not appeal as I'll definitely trip over it or kick it or whatever.

So are there any other recommended headphone amp type things that might do the trick?

I've not actually confirmed back to the host of this event yet so I'm not averse to turning it down...

Right then, I've had time to think it through and think I may have the solution.

I find I play and sing better sat down, and for this purpose I have a little Ikea step stool thing which allows me to sit with one foot on the floor and one on the step to get a good angle. Anyway, this leaves room on the same step for the Zoom G3, which I understand works well with batteries. Not sure if the headphone cable will reach but I have an extender (yesssss it's an extender!) and as it will go around the back and I'll be sat down should not represent too much of a trip hazard. Then just a simple XLR output to the PA. The Zoom will sound better than the Pocket Pod, I get to sit down (and the guitar will be louder acoustically for me then as well as it'll be closer to my ears), and I already own the required kit.

Now, if only there was a way for me to power my TC Voicelive fx by battery I could run vocals and guitar through that and sound better still! It's 12v (and i think 2000ma) though so I think that unlikely

In case it's of any use to anybody, this did not work especially well when I tried it last night! The guitar sounded great through the Fender Twin with spring reverb, however I couldn't hear myself sing so the high and low notes were still out! So I've got a battery powered mixer arriving first thing tomorrow so I can hear the vocals in the headphones as well, fingers crossed that'll work instead! Hopefully still room in my carry box for the Zoom G3 though...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    edited July 2018

"Now, if only there was a way for me to power my TC Voicelive fx by battery I could run vocals and guitar through that and sound better still! It's 12v (and i think 2000ma) though so I think that unlikely"

Do-able if you can solder. You need a 12V 1200a/h Sealed Lead Acid battery (or a modern Lithium equivalent but pricey)  and some coax power leads. The Behringer HA400 is a good H/P amp for a score and I have run mine on a pack of 6 AAs for some hours.

The TC Live box I found was a much lower 400mA.

Dave.

Thanks Dave but my soldering isn't up to that, I did read a number of forum threads about using those batteries and hooking them up but sounded way out of my league so I decided to leave my vocals un-enhanced!