Brunetti Pleximan - opinions ?

What's Hot

Comments

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    Pleximan landed today, first impressions it's VERY light which is great for portability. 5w setting is a winner at home, only had 10 mins through it so far but the clean channel is nicer than i was expecting, drive channel is nice and chewy. I've only tried it through a 75w Creamback so far, would like to hear it with a V30 too.
    The various switches are interesting too, lots of tonal variation....to be continued

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    i've been playing the Pleximan for a few days now and it's a very cool amp. I'm not used to the Plexi sounds rather than the JCM800/JMP sound it's a little more lary and raw than the 800.

It sounds killer with my CS Strat, you can really hear what guitar you have plugged into it (which I like).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    Was loving mine but had no cabs for a while to enjoy it :( Picking up a used Harley Benton with V30's next week so dying to hear it again. 
    Got some dep gigs next month with a rock covers band so will be using it instead of my Deluxe Reverb.
    #thebatesmotelband
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I personally think its one of the best amp designs of recent years and relatively inexpensive when compared to USA boutique brands.

I'm a big Brunetti fan, i've owned the Maranello, MC2, XL-r Evo II, Pirata 141 and a few of the pedals too. They do have a unique voice, its very much what Marco hears in the sound of the plexi that gives it such a different vibe to something like a Friedman or Bogner. Marco also does custom stuff, we did speak briefly about a Maranello 40w head, but i decided not to pursue that idea after buying my Budda.
    i just ordered a WGS Veteran 30 as I read on TGP that this is the Speaker the Pleximan was voiced for, it sounds good with my Creamback but I suspect the extra low mids of the V30 will bring out the vibe a bit more

• DominicDominic Frets: 16003
    I really like it.....can be quite versatile ,likes pedals too.The clean is good and the control pedal has some good options for changing the sound on the fly.
    The hotrod switch gives it a bit of oomph in the bass.
    It's quiet for a 50w amp.
    I don't notice a huge difference between the 50w and 5w settings 
    @Dominic I've not had the chance to push mine loud yet, but yesterday I did have the volume on around 4-5 on the 50w mode and it wasn't super loud. It may have a really good taper on the volume pot so the volume actually goes up all the way to 10. On my 50w JCM800 by the time you get to 3 the curtains are flapping and everything after that is just painful!

my Mrs just went to pick the kids up so i had the chance to move some air for 15 mins, HOLY SHIT!

I have the Pleximan running through a WGS Veteran 30 in an oversize Mesa 1x12 and my god it sounds amazing! It sounds good at bedroom volume, but in 50w mode, volume on half it just sings. Tried it with mt Knaggs with HBs in it and it's good, but with my CS Strat it's other worldly.

I did have my trusty JCM800 running next to it loud too for reference and I have to say the Brunetti had a sweeter sound to it, just as much punch but a richer tone, which could be partly to do with the bigger cab, but it's definitely voiced different.

That's a lot of noise from such a small, light package - very impressed. And for £600 it's an absolute steal.

Agree ;really cracking amp but the dirty channel needs the Hotrod switch on to get that thump
    i had mine thumping today without the hotrod on, honestly it sounded ace. The hotrod adds a lot of bottom end, i boosted the gain channel with a Klon type boost and it works brilliantly, adds gain but with the frequencies right where you want them. Try a Tumnus or Archer with it.

Yes have done (Tumnus) that also adds a lot of bottom but it's a great pedal
    How you getting on with Pleximan now that you know it better.........I got a THD attenuator and can crank it more now and it is really impressing me through a 2x12 
    More and more impressed the more time I spend with it. 5w is surprisingly loud, I've found a nice  balance between the gain and hot rod channels now too. All the switches give a lot of options to tweak which is very useful. Not tried it with the band yet but looking forward to it

• ChesterChester Frets: 52
    I'm seriously looking at a pleximan ... sounds like a killer amp, and I'm torn between this and a Sheriff 44 head. Do any of you folks have experience changing out the power glass? Are the bias points easy to access, or do you need to take the chassis out of the headshell and risk life 'n limb messing around the innards of these things?
    no idea on any of the above Chester, but the more time i spend with this amp the better it gets.
    The solo boost means you don't need to use the loop which is ace if you like old school delay before drive

i tried my Pleximan for the first time with the band last night, and I was very impressed. Most of the stuff we play suits a crunch and a thicker sound that my 800 nails with a TS type boost so i wasnt sure how the Pleximan would handle the heavier stuff. I was playing Alice In Chains on it in drop C# with no pedals and it sounded ace :)
    It's a very different volume taper to a Marshall, i had it in 50w mode with the volume on 5, which on an 800 would have been peeling the paint off the walls. Which is a good thing as the volume goes up gradually from home levels to band volume rather than having a big jump.
    Amazing to have a 3 channel amp, with solo boost in such a small package, the only thing i would change is to have a gain on the clean channel as it stays very clean even at proper volume (which i know some people love), i prefer a bit of hair on the clean personally.
    I had it through the Veteran 30 in an oversized Mesa 1x12 cab, it was punchy and crystal clear.
    I A/B'd it with my 800 last week pretty loud and they have a very different core tone, the 800 is much squishier and simple sounding (if that makes sense), whereas the Pleximan is much more detailed and articulate. I've never owned a Plexi so i don;t know if this is typical of that amp type, but from clips i've heard it makes sense. The EQ is totally different too, you can run this with the mids and treble high at volume and it stays thick, whereas an 800 will take your head off if the treble is over 5 at band volume.

Amazing amp for the money.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes.......totally agree.......it is a fantastic amp for that job
    I like the clean staying clean (can always hit it with a Klon type for a bit of hair)
    The Hot Rod gives it real thump when you need it
    I am very impressed .......easily top boutique quality........that's why Guitarist rated it so highly
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I’ve often thought about asking Marco to build me a pleximan combo, the only thing that’s stopped me is my Budda, which I think nails the mid/high gain sounds better. 
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 91
    Nice review. I love mine. Really good amps.
    ok i solved the clean being too clean, i tried it with the Dense switch in and EQ brighter and there you go, the clean channel has a hint of hair on it with single coils and a bit more with HBs, but it stays dynamic so when you pick light it's clean and when you give it some it breaks up a bit - perfect. It's like Mr Brunetti thought about exactly that :)