Patina on brass.

What's Hot
does anyone have a good recipe for getting a patina on brass?

I’ve Googled “aging brass” and all I get is pics of my mates mum!...
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Yup, put your greasy maullers all over it.....that'll do it.  Might take a year or two   ;)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    The usual vinegar fumes method should do the job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • telehacktelehack Frets: 93
    If we're talking bridge saddles, I wouldn't even bother. I put new brass saddles on recently and just resting your hand on the saddles for palm muting will start to discolour them in a matter of days or weeks.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16541
     vinegar  should give it a start.  It may make it look cleaner first
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098
    WezV said:
     vinegar  should give it a start.  It may make it look cleaner first
    Yep, cleaner than when it went in!

will give it to the yoof when he gets home from school, he seems to be able to reduce a brand new set of strings to rusty wire within a day so I’m hoping his greasy hormonal hands will darken up the saddles!...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 760
    As others have said, brass will discolour quite quickly once sweaty hands have been on it, so give it a couple of weeks before trying anything else.

Cold patination techniques are commonly used in the restoration/ reproduction of antiques. There is a business near me (Bury, Greater Manchester) which sells these products, assuming sweat/ time don't give the desired results:

https://www.restoration-materials.co.uk/index.php/metal__marble-antiquing/?k=1906:37::
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30824

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    Vinegar does work. Interestingly if you put the item in vinegar with salt it will remove all patina.. but exposed to vinegar fumes will encourage a gentle patina to develop. 

A stronger acid acid will do the same job but more quickly. Nickel and copper the same. 

I do agree that brass will naturally tarnish quite quickly with sweat - just like copper coins do when handled. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2370
    Some brass saddles come clear coated, this may need removing before any tarnishing will appear.
    I take off the clear from old Matsumoku brass parts by just leaving them soaking in standard thinners for a couple of days the a quick rub with a rag or soft brass suede brush. 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9098