UPDATE! -. My first guitar had come up for sale...

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Careful - nostalgia can even make the 70s seem like a fun carefree time when the summers were endless and fashion was cool...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Careful - nostalgia can even make the 70s seem like a fun carefree time when the summers were endless and fashion was cool...

Really good point well said.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516

That's pretty much exactly how I remember the '70s.

Plus a few power cuts.  And the summer of '76 was a bit too endless....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Philly_Q said:

Flares. Too much hair. Bad taches. No jobs. Too much brown. Too much lime green. Bad collars. Etc etc

You’ll get that first guitar back and be greeted with poor frets, heavy weight, weak pickups, bad action, thin weedy sound and general malaise. Promise
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Mine was a Washburn A20 with a Kahler added by the previous owner.
    I got it back after having it stored for about 20 years at my Mum's.
    It was a bit shit- I left it in a storage unit in the UK when we moved here.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I’d love my old Kawai KS11 back 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    but - will it be like seeing your first love again 40 years later only to realise you deffo dodged a bullet!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

No thanks! 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited July 2018
    Avon calling - no thanks - I wouldn't want to buy this back but I wouldn't mind trying all my riffs and licks out on it seeing as I couldn't play anything other than Doobie riffs in open E and mostly Bass lines on the low E

£45 new from ABC Music in Weybridge in '73 with a red corduroy strap and cable and pick thrown in... Still got the strap but the curly cable went tits up...lost the pick...

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/c1/6d/18/c16d18172abed108fe423b0b9dd4e2ea.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • dwheeldodwheeldo Frets: 65
    I’ve been getting all misty eyed lately about my first real guitar - a Fender California Strat. If anyone comes across a black one with maple board, let me know - I’d like to buy it back!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Philly_Q said:

Flares. Too much hair. Bad taches. No jobs. Too much brown. Too much lime green. Bad collars. Etc etc

You’ll get that first guitar back and be greeted with poor frets, heavy weight, weak pickups, bad action, thin weedy sound and general malaise. Promise
    The advantage to us from the 70s, we can change our hairstyle (or lack of hair), stop wearing flares (soon I promise), and look mainly presentable. Todays yoof will be covered in bad tatts for life!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    So I think I've spotted my very first guitar for sale.  I think I sold it back in 1990 and I'm 99% sure it's the one I owned.  A sentimental part of me is dying to get it back, but I know there was a reason to get rid of it in the first place. It's being sold for a LOT more than I sold it for all those years ago. But but but.. 

So head or heart decision time.

Anyone else bought back their very first guitar?
    Come on then @Flanging_Fred have you bought it??
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    dwheeldo said:
    I’ve been getting all misty eyed lately about my first real guitar - a Fender California Strat. If anyone comes across a black one with maple board, let me know - I’d like to buy it back!
    Nearly
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dwheeldodwheeldo Frets: 65
    dwheeldo said:
    Nearly
    Seeing that one was what set off the nostalgia / gear lust. And that's almost three times what I paid for mine new!
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1737
    I know exactly where my first guitar is. It was a Hondo LP Copy and it was rubbish. I laugh at the prices they go for today. Terrible terrible instrument - ok sentimental value but an utter turd of a guitar.

It's now with an ex who got in touch a while back and told me she still has it - well you can keep it luv.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3010
    BigMonka said:
    So I think I've spotted my very first guitar for sale.  I think I sold it back in 1990 and I'm 99% sure it's the one I owned.  A sentimental part of me is dying to get it back, but I know there was a reason to get rid of it in the first place. It's being sold for a LOT more than I sold it for all those years ago. But but but.. 

So head or heart decision time.

Anyone else bought back their very first guitar?
    Come on then @Flanging_Fred have you bought it??
    Not yet but I put a bid in so now I just have to wait and see... 

I'll reveal all when the dust has settled, although I wouldn't hold your breath.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3010
    Yay, I won the auction.  "It's coming home, it's coming home, my Kawai's coming home" etc...

Pics when it gets here...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Woo!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • wolsnahwolsnah Frets: 189
    Looking forward to the update and finding out what your thoughts are on it once it's back in your hands. Will it be a sentimental keeper or will there be a sobering truth to it? Hopefully the former and you can have the love affair and honeymoon all over again.