Opeth recommendations

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
Hello all, 

I have recently stumbled upon Opeth. Does anyone have any recommendations?
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1468
    Blackwater Park first. 

Then Damnation

Then Ghost Reveries

Then everything else. 

But definitely Blackwater Park first. It's a fucking masterpiece. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Ghost Reveries, Damnation, Deliverance, Watershed in that order are my faves. GR in particular is  masterclass in what death metal drumming could be.

Nothing after 2008
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Blackwater Park. It's brilliant 
    Ghost Reveries, Damnation, Deliverance, Watershed in that order are my faves. GR in particular is  masterclass in what death metal drumming could be.

Nothing after 2008
    This is important. 
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited July 2018
    In this order...

Deliverance
    Blackwater Park
    Watershed
    Ghost Reveries
    Still Life
    Morningrise
    My Arms, Your Hearse

The rest of their albums are shite
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2403
    Opeth are a great band to "stumble" upon. Ghost Reveries is my personal favourite album of theirs, but I agree with pretty much what the others have said. I didn't think much to Heritage.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    I've grabbed Damnation, Ghost Reveries and deliverance
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Also...their Roundhouse Tapes is probably the best of their live albums...pretty much the best of Album!
    So not Blackwater Park? WHAT THE HELL, MAN?!?!
    joneve said:
    So not Blackwater Park? WHAT THE HELL, MAN?!?!
    give it time ;-)
    actually my bad I have ordered

Blackwater park
    Ghost Reveries and Damnation 

all arriving today on that cutting edge format of CD
    actually my bad I have ordered

Blackwater park
    Ghost Reveries and Damnation 

all arriving today on that cutting edge format of CD
    Laddy. 

Deliverance is worth a squirt too as has been mentioned, but the 3 above are my favourites. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    edited July 2018
    I purchased Blackwater Park as a non-fan way back in 2001 after recommendations from a friend...and I was so impressed with it that I listened to it on headphones three times in a row. It's utterly stunning and has some of the best production I've ever heard. Okay...some parts may drag a tiny bit but on the whole it's superb. The opening flourishes to 'Bleak' are out of this world.

In fact the first five albums are just fantastic. Orchid may be ancient now (released in 1995) but for a band just starting out it's still brilliant. 'Forest Of October' is incredible.

I find Deliverance a wee bit overrated as it sounds a bit sterile to me. Andy Sneap should not be producing Opeth records! Still a great record though, if some parts seem to go on for ages (eg. the ending to the title track).

Ghost Reveries was a return to form and impressed me a lot thanks to the addition of keyboards. Must give it another listen soon actually. Probably the last great album they did.

It's a new direction yes and probably much needed from their eyes, but yeah anything after Watershed I have pretty much ignored. Just tedious.
  • schrodinger1612schrodinger1612 Frets: 390
    edited July 2018
    @dopesick Check out the Deliverance remaster - there’s a significant difference, sonically
    Feedback Thread: https://goo.gl/bquaSD
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Pretty much what everyone else has said. Blackwater Park is easily one of my favourite albums of all time.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    I think I have a CD under the bed that I've never listened to. Maybe I'll dig without one day. 

I did once see Michael wosisname sing for Candlemas once but he was awful. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    I've never made my mind up about Opeth. Some of the bits are just awesome but there's a lot of slow acoustic stuff between them which I don't enjoy so much. Damnation is like a compilation of all the boring bits I hate about the band! As others have said Blackwater Park is great and I like Still Life too. Watershed has its moments such as Heir Apparent.
    The opening track to Blackwater Park is very angry
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    TTBZ said:
    I've never made my mind up about Opeth. Some of the bits are just awesome but there's a lot of slow acoustic stuff between them which I don't enjoy so much. Damnation is like a compilation of all the boring bits I hate about the band! As others have said Blackwater Park is great and I like Still Life too. Watershed has its moments such as Heir Apparent.
    For me they are at their peak where they have both as part of the appeal is the contrast.

Imho despite Steven Wilson being a genius when he was still doing PT.... he had a disastrous influence on Akerfeldt and Opeth's decline can be linked directly to them working together.

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    @PolarityMan ; I thought there were a lot of similarities between Opeth and Porcupine Tree when I first heard Opeth. Thats what made me check them out. 
    From the little I have heard Opeth seem to have more harmonies and sections in their tracks. 

So far so good.