The Kemper thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Good to hear that it all went well, @Wazmeister! Is it worth taking the Kemper along to a local Line 6 dealer? Beauty of Line 6 is that they're accessible, unlike Kemper and Fractal. Would be really interested to hear the results and if you prefer it.

Failing that, is there an opportunity to run your powered head into your Zilla cab?

Or, could you warm the DXR up with a bit of EQ? I know what you're saying though, it's a very clinical sounding speaker, sometimes which can be quite jarring. It works for me and my needs.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Good to hear that it all went well, @Wazmeister! Is it worth taking the Kemper along to a local Line 6 dealer? Beauty of Line 6 is that they're accessible, unlike Kemper and Fractal. Would be really interested to hear the results and if you prefer it.

Failing that, is there an opportunity to run your powered head into your Zilla cab?

Or, could you warm the DXR up with a bit of EQ? I know what you're saying though, it's a very clinical sounding speaker, sometimes which can be quite jarring. It works for me and my needs.
    Hiya mate,

Yep, some Kemper profiles sound great through the Zilla (neo creamback - very light) but others are def coloured too much maybe.

The DXR10 is a wonderful speaker; very 3D and room filling, but as is well know, it can be harsh. 

Either way, I'll need another FRFR or a DXR10 as this is the PA One !
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Anybody seen this video? It played a big part in my making the switch to Kemper. Thoughts?

to me the Axe-fx sounded fuller.
    I appreciate that could all be down to the settings in place. 

to be fair I am sure both would be more than adequate 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Anybody seen this video? It played a big part in my making the switch to Kemper. Thoughts?

to me the Axe-fx sounded fuller.
    I appreciate that could all be down to the settings in place. 

to be fair I am sure both would be more than adequate 
    "Fuller", yes, I can see that. My old Suhr Classic also sounded "fuller" than my Fender Strat, I know which I prefer though from a sound and tone perspective. The Kemper sounds so much more like an amp to me in that video.

Yes, I think both would be amazing. I loved my Axe FX. Difference between it and the Kemper is night and day to me though. But I know this is all very subjective stuff.

I wouldn't have said one sounded more amp like than the other. 
    The kemper sounded very scooped where as the Axe-fx had more mids (to my ears). 

The front of that kemper looks bonkers. Like an old fighter planes cock pit or something
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • I wouldn't have said one sounded more amp like than the other. 
    The kemper sounded very scooped where as the Axe-fx had more mids (to my ears). 

The front of that kemper looks bonkers. Like an old fighter planes cock pit or something
    Maybe. Maybe I just thought it sounded sweeter, which is why I used the Suhr/Fender analogy earlier which I think is the same thing...the Fender sounds sweeter to my ears in the same way the Kemper does.

It looks more complex than it actually is. It's incredibly intuitive and great to have full access to everything from that front panel. Just takes a tiny bit of getting used to.

Still can't get away from the fact that video seemed night and day to me, goes to show we're all very different.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413

I hardly ever use most of the stuff on there.  Most of it is pretty intuitive if you do use it though.
    I'd like to try a kemper and the axe fx. I havent typically seen them knocking about in shops though. 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    edited July 2018
    I've never tried an AxeFX III but I do own an AF2 and a Kemper. They're both capable of producing very realistic amp tones but the Kemper was definitely ahead until Fractal released the Quantum firmware which closed the gap.

The Kemper is the more intuitive device and, despite the old time fighter cockpit thing, it's very easy to get to grips with. The Axe is a tweaker's paradise and you can spend hours sculpting tones if you want to.

I don't think it's a case of which is better. They're slightly different tools that do a similar job and it's up to the user which is a better fit for their particular needs. 
  • @meltedbuzzbox ; Guitarguitar stocks Kemper, and Anderton's. Fractal though, you'll have to bite the bullet and order from g66.eu and take advantage of the 30 day returns policy.

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    I think my Kemper has made me forget what I think what I like amp wise. Pre modellers, I was always into the big Marshall stack tone, my last performance I created mainly had Fender profiles.

I can't even remember what the current clean profile I'm enjoying is based on from ToneJunkies, all I know is it sounds great.

My problem when I had my PodHD (which is why I wouldn't get a Helix or AxeFX) is that I spent much more time fiddling around making tones rather than enjoying them. Now I tend to just browse them on my Mac and preview the ones with roughly the right gain level for what I'm hoping to achieve :)

The FX are only getting better in the Kemper too, the delays are amazing and the new reverbs are sounding brilliant from the Beta and the YouTube videos surfacing too 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The modulation on the reverb on that clip really reminds me of the Stereo Wet. Sounds great, will have to try a Kemper with all the new updates.
  • AX8 user for the last 6 months and quite happy going direct to PA with DXR10 behind me. Incoming Kemper rack and Remote as I need to know if it does it any better.....
  • Rack and Remote all unpacked and connected. After watching some YouTube videos sorted 5 basic rigs in around 30 minutes. Need to get it loud to really hear how it sounds...
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9446
    Rack and Remote all unpacked and connected. After watching some YouTube videos sorted 5 basic rigs in around 30 minutes. Need to get it loud to really hear how it sounds...
    I think the Kemper Remote IS one of the best digital units Ive used...

And dont worry, I do believe that the Kemper excels ‘loud’ !
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2364
    Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but ToneJunkies have setup 'Profile Crate' a free subscription where you get some of their profiles each month.

Worth joining - I've done it with my gmail account rather than my main one, but no 'spam' from them so far :)

https://www.profilecrate.com/ ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • First try of the sounds I loaded in the Kemper at sound check this evening. Very impressed, felt and sounded very amp-like. May use it for the gig tomorrow night, in at the deep end...
  • PVO_Dave said:
    Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but ToneJunkies have setup 'Profile Crate' a free subscription where you get some of their profiles each month.

Worth joining - I've done it with my gmail account rather than my main one, but no 'spam' from them so far :)

Thanks for this, mate! I'll sign up.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    PVO_Dave said:

Thanks.  Signed up.
  • So I've been test driving the Cali 76 CD into the Kemper over the last fortnight, it's great...but the onboard compressor is just quality and I just can't justify keeping the Cali. I've dialled the Kemper compressor as close to my favourite Cali setting as I can (which isn't very subtle, admittedly) and it just feels more alive and bouncier than the Cali. I prefer the Kemper. So the Cali is going back!

Sorry, this won't be TFB's most popular post.

I've also delved a bit deeper with the onboard drives too. I've found a good pedal platform with MBritt's AC30 profile from the Sweet Sixteen pack and the drives sound better with that than they did with the clean profiles I've used before. Time to have a play, I think. I'm getting really close to the sounds I really enjoy and am really happy with the Kemper, sounds beautiful!