Renting

What's Hot
Never done it before apart from a council flat umpteen years ago.

I get on rightmove and enquire about a place and all I get is an email saying it is no longer available. A small number of them state pet-friendly quite a few say no pets and the majority don't say either way. rightmove doesn't have a pets or children filter. Must I really  enquire about everything that doesn't say about pets and then be prepared for most of them to say I can't bring my cat?

What's the typical lead time from deciding you want a place to moving in?
"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    Renting is a complete pain if you have a pet. The properties that allow them are likely to be either overpriced or not the best. If you have time on your side you may get lucky and find a reasonable landlord. Often if it’s not specified in the advert it might be negotiable. If all else fails though, cats are pretty quiet and unobtrusive if you catch my drift?
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    you usually have some sort of vetting and put your deposit down plus a months rent. 
    From my experience about 7 years ago it takes about a week for all that and you usually move in at the start of the following month
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1467
    try www.openrent.co.uk

you'll deal directly with the landlord rather than going through an Agent (I use it for renting our flat)...it's great for both Landlords and tenants. Tenants only pay £20 for referencing and then the required deposit and first month's rent. 

For landlords they charge £49 to advertise (goes on Rightmove and Zoopla) and for the setting up of the AST contract and processing the application. 

Allows landlords to get someone in who they're happy with and gives tenants the opportunity to negotiate things like pets (we just charge an extra amount on the deposit for a pet and add it into the contract). 
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    A typical credit check is around £39, we charge £50, an agent will charge anything from £200 up, plus a shed load of other Admin fees they can magic up.

Our deposit is 1 month rent, our local agents are now asking for 3 months up front and sometimes plus a guarantor from a homewoner.

Typical move in cost for private LL is about half that via an agent...avoid all agents if at all possible, it will not have a happy ending.

From enquiry to moving in can be as little as 3-4 days or as much as 2-3 months.

Pets can sometimes be covered with a separate insurance policy.

Have you checked Gumtree?

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • I think I heard something recently that government is looking at changing legislation so that landlords have to accept tenants with pets/tenant has the right to have a pet. No doubt it will take a while,but I'd say it's coming.
  • heavyrockerheavyrocker Frets: 810
    I think I heard something recently that government is looking at changing legislation so that landlords have to accept tenants with pets/tenant has the right to have a pet. No doubt it will take a while,but I'd say it's coming.
    No I think that was Labour pledging to introduce it? Mind you the way the Tories are going you could be right that it’s coming!
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I don't see the problem with pets. If they honk up on the carpet and spoil it you have to replace it anyway regardless of whether the cat did it or if you spilt used engine oil on it you'd still end up buying a new one.

@joneve thanks for that url, I'll check it out.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • I think I heard something recently that government is looking at changing legislation so that landlords have to accept tenants with pets/tenant has the right to have a pet. No doubt it will take a while,but I'd say it's coming.
    No I think that was Labour pledging to introduce it? Mind you the way the Tories are going you could be right that it’s coming!
    Ah,ok. 
    What's with minimum length tenancies? If I signed up for 6 months and managed to sell my house and buy another inside that time, what's the worst that can happen? Lose your deposit (no biggie if it's a cheap rent)? Pissed-off landlord tries to do you for fictitious "damage" to property (difficult to prove if you've got photographs)? Bad reference (who cares when you have moved into your own place)?
    What's with minimum length tenancies? If I signed up for 6 months and managed to sell my house and buy another inside that time, what's the worst that can happen? Lose your deposit (no biggie if it's a cheap rent)? Pissed-off landlord tries to do you for fictitious "damage" to property (difficult to prove if you've got photographs)? Bad reference (who cares when you have moved into your own place)?
    Most AST agreements have a no-break clause within the first 4 months (so you'd at least lose your deposit and would probably be responsible for paying up the "missing" months), after that you can give a months notice I believe
    @Phil_aka_Pip as a landlord - if you were honest and up front with me about needing to rent very short term (possibly), I probably wouldn't have an issue as I could either take you or leave you but if I really needed to fill it then the option is there
  • EdPhelanEdPhelan Frets: 6
    Renting is so expensive and is still somewhat insecure, especially as the landlord only needs to give you 2 months' notice before telling you to move out. The fees are also incredibly high, and when coupled with deposits,you are likely going to be paying out at least £2,000 just to move into a property. I have quite a few friends who were forced to resort to maxing out credit cards just to put a roof over their heads.
    edited July 2018
    EdPhelan said:
    Renting is so expensive and is still somewhat insecure, especially as the landlord only needs to give you 2 months' notice before telling you to move out. The fees are also incredibly high, and when coupled with deposits,you are likely going to be paying out at least £2,000 just to move into a property. I have quite a few friends who were forced to resort to maxing out credit cards just to put a roof over their heads.
    This is only the case if you go through an agent.

On top of their first month's rent, my current tenants dealt with me directly and had to pay £20 for their references (per person) and their deposit of £725 (which I don't see), and that's it.
  • EdPhelanEdPhelan Frets: 6
    joneve said:
    EdPhelan said:

On top of their first month's rent, my current tenants dealt with me directly and had to pay £20 for their references (per person) and their deposit of £725 (which I don't see), and that's it.
    That sounds so much better, and it sounds as though you actually care about your tenants! I have rented directly through a landlord before and had a much better experience, sadly most tend to go through agencies though. Do you do the inventory upon checkout of the tenants, or do you have a 3rd party doing it?
    EdPhelan said:
    joneve said:
    EdPhelan said:

That sounds so much better, and it sounds as though you actually care about your tenants! I have rented directly through a landlord before and had a much better experience, sadly most tend to go through agencies though. Do you do the inventory upon checkout of the tenants, or do you have a 3rd party doing it?
    Yea, we have a friend of ours (who used to work in a letting agents) come and do it - keeps everything neutral so there's no influence either way - everything else I deal with myself.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @joneve you don't have any cheap cat-friendly rentals going south-west of Hereford do you?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Renting or Cottaging - what do you prefer?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    haha. if you were a bit further south (Gloucester) I could have possibly helped you out. Two of my previous tenants had cats.