I just spent the evening with a PRS - Wow!

What's Hot
I'd never played a PRS before but anytime I'd seen them on YouTube etc I always thought they seemed a bit 'meh'. Not very exciting in terms of tone or appeal.

My father in law brought down his PRS SE 245 this evening to let me try it (comparing it to my Epiphone Les Paul) and I have to say I am all turned round on the subject!

Playing through my little Blackstar HTR-1 it produced a rather fantastic sound, and the guitar just felt great. It just goes to show that all the comparison videos in the world don't mean anything without actually playing said guitar! I love the grunt that my Les Paul gives, but the PRS had much more 'space' tonally, for want of a better expression.

I'm seriously considering trading/selling the Epiphone and picking up a used SE of some description.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2331
    There's a school of thought that say you still haven't played a 'PRS'. The SE's are made under licence for PRS, go try a U.S one and report back  :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    If you pick up the "right" guitar of model in whatever manufacturers range your aversions can be thrown right out of the window!

Glad you enjoyed the experience. There are plenty of s/h SE's out there, may not have to lose your Epi!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited July 2018
    The DGT is my favourite humbucking guitar - exceptional in every way. I recently sold my (genuine) ‘64 335 that I’d owned for 15 years - aside from ‘vintage’ mythology - the PRS is a better guitar....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited July 2018
    Since being reunited with my Custom 22. I've started using her in my Shoegazey Alt Rock band. Our Indie loving bass player was quite put off when I opened the case last week. But by the end of rehearsal even he was impressed. My usual guitar in that band is either a Telecaster or Yamaha SG. But the Custom 22 has this midrange push that sits in a separate place. I can hear the bass player more.

When it was stolen. I was in a Classic Rock band. But I actually think it could become my mainstay in something more esoteric. 

At risk of sounding like your Dad, you have to judge stuff on how you perceive it. Not others. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1756
    Not that I don’t like other guitars but that’s how I felt in 89 when I bought my first one and despite flirting with other stuff a week back on the PRS and I am home, that guitar has always made sound and play way above my paygrade.

SE vEpiphone is that same jump.

As said the jump to proper US is again a revelation and again to Private stock, although a lot of that is gazing at the fit and finish.

A 2nd hand SE well worth the chop
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Do not overlook the S2 range.

Some of them are unashamedly cost cutter versions of their Core series namesakes. Others are genuinely innovative designs that were probably considered too quirky to try to bring to market at Core series prices. 

The S2 Starla, Vela and limited edition Studio all have their own identity and sound sets, separate from the more expensive models. 

I must declare a vested interest. I own a Vela. I would like to own another. 
    Be seeing you.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    I'm a Fender guy really, and usually play strat-derived designs
    but I had a Gibson LP and 335
    Both were sold after getting a PRS hollowbody and Custom, both through swaps in the same week with no planning in advance. They are just far better instruments, which I am far more happy turning to when I am feeling less Fendery.

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    After getting my CE24 I doubt that I will ever buy anything but PRS again.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3300
    The Vela is a special instrument for sure.