Cats don't like travel

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    When we moved from Derbyshire to Scotland (8 hour drive), we were obviously concerned about our cat.
    In fact he was fine with it and slept most of the way. The odd plaintive meowing session, but soon calmed down again.
    We were advised NOT to feed or water him after breakfast, as this increases the chance of travel sickness and toilet accidents.
    They aren't people and don't need a cup of tea and a chance to stretch their legs! We did get a larger travel cage, but in fact he pretty much stayed put.
    It worked, we had no problems.
    Our cat had previously never been further than a cattery 30 mins away, although he is a mature and fairly chilled cat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    gusman2x said:
    How long are you away for? I’d vote Cattery if it was me. 
    This is, for her, a permanent move. We may have to move again when I buy a house but it won't be far.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Just go with it, we moved ours from Surrey to South Wales with no issues, not even the moaning we now get going 1/2 mile up the road to the vet. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    We get a lot of people adopt rescue cats out here then fly them home when they return- that’s at least 8 hours to the UK but can be as far as Oz or Canada, and the cats are usually fine.

Its really good that you care, but you don’t need to worry too much. 

(I will remind myself of this when we have to leave and bring our boys with us!)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    had a talk with the v.e.t.

suggestion = get a flat pack medium dog cage from amazon (measure car first). It will allow the cat to move, to take a dump if she needs to, and if you put something that smells like her in there (eg the thing she sits on when on my settee) she will feel at home. Also, feliway spray. In the car, in the new place.

It all sounds like good advice
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    Put your cat in a cattery overnight near where you live, taking them on a long car journey is very stressful for them.

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    She'll be fine. She won't like it, but the things that smell of her, and the feliway are good ideas. Do you have anyone that could make the trip with you? My cat hates travel, and is much better when she can get out of her carry case and sit on my wife's lap.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    Get a cat harness and take them for a long walk at regular intervals.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    I feel a bit of a contradiction on this sort of thing.

I'm such a fucking softie with my cats. If one of them is sitting on my place on the sofa, I'll let them have it and sit somewhere else. If they're cold at night I'll let them under the duvet for snuggles. If a visitor comes round and our skittish one is scared I'll go and find her and let her know it's ok. I make real efforts to communicate with them through body language, verbally etc...

But with this kind of thing, balls to the little bastards. Yeah, maybe they'll hate a long drive but if it needs to be done it needs to be done. They won't have a clue what's going on as you abduct them and spirit them through all the dimensions of hell to a place where the very rules of nature have changed, but they'll get out the other end, you'll be there to tell them it's ok and help them settle in, and everything will be fine. Their human will be there to provide for them as always.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited July 2018
    #...they luv-it...#
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>