Boss Katana air

What's Hot
guitarblasterguitarblaster Frets: 359
Hey guys,
Did anyone buy one of these? 

I'm going to be living in a flat with my girlfriend for a bit and this would probably be ideal. The ability to place it anywhere is a big plus, I think I'd be appreciated by her.

The big con is the price, it's pretty expensive for what it is - cheapest I can see is £350. 

Just sold my Princeton 68 and would be leaving my pedals at my dads (well I've advertised 2 here).

Anyone used one?

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11669
    The ability to place it anywhere is a big plus

Yeah girlfriends are great
    We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    edited July 2018
    I was really interested in one despite the high price but due to the wait I ended up getting a VOX Adio Air GT.  It's a great bit of kit!  Still has some of the digital modelling harshness to it but great practice unit and has bluetooth so great for a portable mp3 device.

I saw this video on Andertons YouTube: 

and saw they had a Katana Air in the shootout so was interested to hear how it sounded. 

Not sure if it was a bad setup but it sounded shit to be honest, nothing like the normal Katana, they also have the Adio in the shootout so it gives you an idea of the sounds, then also using a princeton and a low wattage "valve" amp as well.  

Like I say, maybe the set up wasn't ideal for the Katana but based on that video I would try before you buy, especially at £350.

Good luck with your hunt!
    Serious answer time...

I have a Katana 50 and it's really all the home player ever needs, no flies whatsoever on the Katana range.

As for the Katana Air, one of the biggest problems I have with playing when my wife is around is when she notices me setting up and pisses all over it (NOT literally), once I'm playing it's easier to ignore her.  So the Air's wireless "pick up and play" idea has some appeal.

I'd say the Vox handbag edges it for tone in the Andertons vid, and both are better than the THR, but I'd like to try the Handbag in the flesh, see what it's really like.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Yamaha thr5 £155 great home amp plays ridiculously quiet and can run on (many) batteries. Not blue tooth but even I could stretch a couple of feet to plug a cable in. 

@darthed1981  if you ever kick the missus out give her my number : )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Serious answer time...

I have a Katana 50 and it's really all the home player ever needs, no flies whatsoever on the Katana range.

+1.
    I bought a Katana 50 last week here in Singapore as I needed something to use until my stuff turns up.
    For what you pay (I got mine for $250 SGD, or about £140) you get a hell of a lot of amp.

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1645
     one of the biggest problems I have with playing when my wife is around is when she notices me setting up and pisses all over it (NOT literally), once I'm playing it's easier to ignore her.  So the Air's wireless "pick up and play" idea has some appeal.
    Why not just buy a separate wireless unit??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

one of the biggest problems I have with playing when my wife is around is when she notices me setting up and pisses all over it (NOT literally), once I'm playing it's easier to ignore her.  So the Air's wireless "pick up and play" idea has some appeal.
    Indeed, I probably will at some point.

Honestly my biggest challenge as a guitarist is literally getting the opportunity to play, having young kids, work, my other half (shes alright really) and other hobbies as well, it's genuinely difficult.

I look and ogle at valve amps capable of smashing all my windows, but what I probably need most is the most convenient thing ever, turn it on and you have a fun, usable tone to noodle or play with.  The Katana 50 on it's own is almost there actually, but its big enough that its in the corner, and going and turning it on is "a thing".

It's hard to explain!
    Inicdentally, I love the bit in that video where Lee is forced to mock Chappers for basically saying the best home practise solution costs £2200 or so.

"The only acceptable solution costs thousands" is at least consistent throughout sections of the guitarist community!
  • Thanks a lot fellas ...

Hmmm yeah the Boss does sound a bit rubbish in that vid. What a shame. The Vox sounds better but does look weird and still needs a cable. 

Yeah it's hard to explain how valuable the wireless guitar thing is until you are restricted for space! 
    I could place it on a table/unit where you couldn't normally have a guitar amp and it would stop that "thing" that darthed is talking about! Perfect for a flat. 

I was playing my princeton with a pedalboard until last week ...  :'(
    Indeed, I probably will at some point.

Honestly my biggest challenge as a guitarist is literally getting the opportunity to play, having young kids, work, my other half (shes alright really) and other hobbies as well, it's genuinely difficult.

I look and ogle at valve amps capable of smashing all my windows, but what I probably need most is the most convenient thing ever, turn it on and you have a fun, usable tone to noodle or play with.  The Katana 50 on it's own is almost there actually, but its big enough that its in the corner, and going and turning it on is "a thing".

It's hard to explain!
    Get the Head version. the 8" speaker is extremely handy...Definitely more plug and play as a result.

It has the benefit of extra presets and midi too.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Thanks a lot fellas ...

Hmmm yeah the Boss does sound a bit rubbish in that vid. What a shame. The Vox sounds better but does look weird and still needs a cable. 

Yeah it's hard to explain how valuable the wireless guitar thing is until you are restricted for space! 
    I could place it on a table/unit where you couldn't normally have a guitar amp and it would stop that "thing" that darthed is talking about! Perfect for a flat. 

I was playing my princeton with a pedalboard until last week ...  :'(
    Check out this guy for some better videos of the Kat capabilities..

My trading feedback

• Thanks for the input guys ...

I've bought the Katana Air!

I went to try it out at Rimmers and it exceeded my expectations! With a strat, sounds beautiful clean (And I've just sold a Princeton Reverb) and fab distortion sounds!

I've been playing it in the flat for about an hour now and it's exactly what I wanted. This is definitely a honey moon stage but I don't remember being this pleased with a  piece of gear before? 

It's the lack of a cable that I wanted, that to some will seem strange, but when you are restricted for space and have a girlfriend that doesn't want the place to look like a studio, this is great! 

What was very cool is, there's no hum at all with the lack of cable! 

To clarify, this isn't about me being lazy hah ... I was using a 100w Marshall Superbass in a Matamp 4x12 with a homemade pedal board for gigs. 

Thanks everyone for the advice.