Not there for the football, I'm guessing...

What's Hot
Image may contain 1 person smiling text
Not much of the gear, even less idea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    I'm still watching it though!
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    “I have nothing against football. It just seems very wasteful losing 2 hours of my life to watch 22 millionaires on TV chasing a bag of wind in their underwear.” – Guy Martin
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1097
    PC_Dave said:
    “I have nothing against football. It just seems very wasteful losing 2 hours of my life to watch 22 millionaires on TV chasing a bag of wind in their underwear.” – Guy Martin
    We can watch one millionaire for one hour on TV instead!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    PC_Dave said:

I've never understood that quote, given that his favourite sport, motorcycle racing, is a bunch of millionaires literally just going round and round in circles ...and his favourite event in that sport (the Isle of Man TT) is people riding round and round in circles for a fortnight!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    The "circles" are of an, er, interesting shape to ride around. Takes a bit more skill than just opening the taps up and leaning the bike over.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    The "circles" are of an, er, interesting shape to ride around. Takes a bit more skill than just opening the taps up and leaning the bike over.

But then football is more than just chasing a bag of wind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Please don't take my observation on what Guy said as a pop at motorcycle racing.  I've probably spent more money on going to see it over the years than I have on guitars!

In fact, I've probably spent more money going to see motorcycle racing just at Brands Hatch that I have on guitars...

In fact, I've probably spent more money on Pitstopper fry-up breakfasts at Brands Hatch than I have on etc, etc...

:# 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    PC_Dave said:

It's only really dawned on me this year how acceptable it seems to be to make derisive comments like this about football- more so than just about anything else.

You could say something just as snide and factually correct and simultaneously really not the point about just about anything, but people would think you were a twat. Football though? Have at it.

I'm not even a football fan, I just think it's odd.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6672
    edited July 2018
    I think that the Guy Martin quote is very funny. And in the interests of maintaining humour in the world, good for him. We need to be able to laugh at ourselves, our fellow team/room mates, our foibles, our bullshit, otherwise we may as well just roll over and die. 

The fact is that everything is shit unless you're into it. (And even then it's questionable). 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    PC_Dave said:

It's only really dawned on me this year how acceptable it seems to be to make derisive comments like this about football- more so than just about anything else.

You could say something just as snide and factually correct and simultaneously really not the point about just about anything, but people would think you were a twat. Football though? Have at it.

apparently guitar playing is just plucking a few bits of wire and you get money for nothing  and chicks for free ....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6672
    west said:

apparently guitar playing is just plucking a few bits of wire and you get money for nothing  and chicks for free ....
    Yes all true but all the drugs are still expensive. 
  • westwest Frets: 996
    it's what advances used to be for ;)
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    PC_Dave said:
    I presume common decency dictates that we're not supposed to ask how the bag of wind came to be in their underwear?
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PC_DavePC_Dave Frets: 3396
    Football is shit.
    This week's procrastination forum might be moved to sometime next week.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107

Compared to bankers a few years ago, football gets off pretty lightly. 

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2018

Compared to bankers a few years ago, football gets off pretty lightly. 

Agree .. I recall a thread about bankers bonuses moaning about some guy in the City with a £500K bonus (this was post crash so bonuses were lower) and I pointed out Rooney was on £500K a week. Both were getting performance related pay so what was the problem? One was a banker ... that was the problem. I guess it was estate agents before that .. footballers do get let off lightly.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22107
    Fretwired said:
    Agree .. I recall a thread about bankers bonuses moaning about some guy in the City with a £500K bonus (this was post crash so bonuses were lower) and I pointed out Rooney was on £500K a week. Both were getting performance related pay so what was the problem? One was a banker ... that was the problem. I guess it was estate agents before that .. footballers do get let off lightly.
    Russell Brand doesn't like bankers because they're dodgy and involved in dodgy deals. As a West Ham supporter, he's definitely at the right club for that kind of thing. 

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11285
    Guy Martin doesn't want to watch football? And yet the world still spins.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    scrumhalf said:
    Guy Martin doesn't want to watch football? And yet the world still spins.

That's an amazing fact ... the BBC doesn't report things like this .. have a wis. I'm off to tell the wife ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!