Watch servicing?

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1561
I have an automatic Hamilton (not a euphemism) which was a wedding present from my wife. It's got to the point now where it can't hold sufficient charge(?) to be useful.

Took it to a local repair place in Nottingham today which seems to be the most recommended online and they said it would need to be serviced - £250 / 6 weeks.

Does that sound about right, or are they trying it on? I've no idea!

Any informed advice would be very welcome please.

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    It costs me about that to get my Rolex serviced every 10 years or so ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    What model is it? Chronograph, or just something with 3 hands (and maybe date). 

Modern Hamiltons are generally ETA movements so standard parts and shouldn't cost that much to service, but it would depend on the exact model. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • horsehorse Frets: 1561
    What model is it? Chronograph, or just something with 3 hands (and maybe date). 

Modern Hamiltons are generally ETA movements so standard parts and shouldn't cost that much to service, but it would depend on the exact model. 
     Just 3 hands and date. It's a nice watch by my standards but not in the Rolex league of value by any means. 

Any tips on how to get it working without getting ripped off? I went into the Swatch shop but they won't look at it despite Hamilton being part of the Swatch group.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26743
    Ok. A whole new movement should be around 200, so I'd be surprised if a service would cost more than that. I'd ask @Neil for the best advice - if anyone here knows watches it be him :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Ok. A whole new movement should be around 200, so I'd be surprised if a service would cost more than that. I'd ask @Neil for the best advice - if anyone here knows watches it be him :)
     That's useful to know thank you!
    Looked up online and took it into a jewellers who sell them- they've sent it off for £160 - so the first place does seem to have been a little ott on price. Thanks for the help guys.
  • shugzshugz Frets: 768
    edited July 2018
    Had my Heuer Monaco recently worked on by The Watch Doctor in Tring. Very happy with the service (it was a total leap of faith really based on online reviews). The watch came back within a month (was quoted 2-3 months) and it genuinely looks new. Very happy with the job.

My costs were just under £400 but my strap was finished so had to replace that as well. I also had to replace the broken crown.

Cheers
    Hugh

www.proudhoney.com

• NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    horse said:
    Looked up online and took it into a jewellers who sell them- they've sent it off for £160 - so the first place does seem to have been a little ott on price. Thanks for the help guys.

That seems to be much nearer the price than your first quote!

Glad you got it sorted, Hamiltons are nice watches.