Unexpected NGD

What's Hot
freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
edited July 2018 in Guitar
This is a bit late but I have been very busy over the past several days preparing to move house (or not, depending on the 7 other moves in my chain!) It's also taken a few days to recover from the shock.

Anyway, last Thursday evening I attended the Mark Holcomb/Nick Johnston guitar clinic at Peach Guitars in Colchester. As well as putting on another great guitar event, they were also trying to raise some money for a really good cause, so I donated online and duly purchased some raffle tickets on the way in. 

Needless to say, the clinic was fantastic. I saw Nick Johnston at Peach in April and he is jaw droppingly good as well as being an entertaining speaker. I would urge anyone that hasn't heard of him to check him out on YouTube. I had heard of Mark Holcomb but only by virtue of his signature PRS guitars. (I think Peach used to have an 8 string model that was over £10k). The demographic of those attending was very different to the clinic in April with many younger attendees who were clearly fans of Periphery and Mark Holcomb. My friend informed me that Periphery are a progressive metal band, which is not a genre to which I have previously been exposed. Mark Holcomb is a remarkably good guitar player and I've been checking out Periphery online every day since. CDs are on order too! Powerful in your face stuff but with real technical proficiency.

The highlight of the evening for me, as it turned out, was the raffle. Ticket Green 429 was picked out of the box and moments later Mark Holcomb was handing me his signature PRS SE!  A little later he signed the control plate too. Here it is:-

I must admit that a PRS would not normally have been high on my GAS list but, having lived with it for several days now, I absolutely love it. It came tuned to drop C with 10 - 52 strings (for that prog metal thing) but this is a surprisingly versatile guitar. I'm just delighted with it and so grateful to Peach Guitars for putting on the whole thing. Good times!
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 23reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Awesome, congrats on the good luck. It's lovely when things like that happen!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • wesker123wesker123 Frets: 496
    Good score mate :)
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    The pickups are amazing.

They work well for clean and heavy stuff and don't generally lose any clarity.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2797
    Congratulations!
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    "Position available for guitar shop assistant. Guthrie Govan resemblance essential for successful candidates" 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Wow! Congrats mate and enjoy.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    WOW! Congrats matey, that's a hell of a win!
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3299
    That looks really nice in your pictures. Others I’ve seen online make the top look a bit more photoflame whereas yours looks like it might have some movement to it?
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    You spawny get!

Congrats.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1207
    grungebob said:j
    That looks really nice in your pictures. Others I’ve seen online make the top look a bit more photoflame whereas yours looks like it might have some movement to it?
    Thanks. It does look great and overall effect changes depending on the light and the angle that you like at it. I'm well pleased!
    Link to my trading feedback
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    Great story and your good intentions with the raffle tickets paid off.
    I hope you continue to enjoy the guitar!
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • HumbuckedHumbucked Frets: 89
    Good times. Enjoy!
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

Congrats on the win! You must be chuffed.

A friend has one of those. They are nice guitars. Enjoy!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Jackss565Jackss565 Frets: 8
    Congrats. Lovely looking guitar
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Nice to see Ed Byrne behind the counter of a music shop.