That neck on your guitar - you've never found a better neck since

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 947
OK folks, a few of you might have heard me harp on about my MIM Fender Standard Telecaster. 

It was bought in January 2004 so it's likely to be a 2003 model - in black, with white scratchplate and all standard parts etc. 
The neck has a fairly thin gloss. 

I upgraded the pickups to Samarium Cobalt Noiseless in probably 2007-2008 (I didn't know much about pickups at the time so it was a case of price and limited research, but apparently that's what the American Standards were fitted with at the time). 

I can remember trying a few guitars just before buying it, including a similar MIM Standard Tele in the local music shop, but the neck felt almost chunkier at the time. 

The neck on my MIM Tele is the best I've ever played/felt on a guitar (subjective, of course) - and every MIM Tele I've tried since just doesn't have the same feel on the neck - they either feel chunkier or less smooth. There's no fighting, no compromise required, it just feels like I can glide anywhere on the fingerboard and, even with my short, stubby fingers, I can shape most chords and scales easily. It's like butter, as the cliche goes. 

When I had those pickups changed around 07/08/whenever it was, the guys in the shop couldn't stop playing the guitar, and said it felt amazing. They couldn't believe it was a 'standard' Tele because it felt better than so many other guitars in the shop (which varied between your Squiers and your top-end Fenders).

Now, I appreciate that I've had this guitar for over 14 years, I'm a bit biased, and it's aged wonderfully - the once pale maple has become a warmer colour, and the frets are a bit more 'played in' - but is it likely that Fender would have changed the neck profiles at all? Even within the same run of Teles (hence me finding the ones in shops at the same time felt different)? Was I lucky and did I get a 'good one' of the batch? 

I know there's the adage that every guitar is different, even in the same run, but would the difference really be that tangible? 

Let me know your thoughts - there are wiser folk than I on here who can probably answer, but also interested in hearing about your 'perfect neck' guitar experiences. 
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    Godin. I've had three and the necks have been the best I've had. The right curve, the right width, the best glide.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    DiscoStu said:
    Godin. I've had three and the necks have been the best I've had. The right curve, the right width, the best glide.

Oh, I'd agree there, too - I had an LG P90 from the 90s and an old Artisan TC and both of them had fantastic necks despite being very different guitars. The Artisan came alive when I tried it out in the shop before buying. I just didn't love the pickups in the Artisan and never got round to switching them for something else. The LG P90 had lovely SD pickups but I just found I wasn't playing it that often, so sadly it went as part of the big guitar sell off. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9550
    edited July 2018
    Years ago I had a Squier Affinity Tele that I should never have got rid of. I played several and the neck on mine was just so much better than all the others I tried. Also, the (maple) fretboard had lovely figuring and was and that golden honey colour rather than the usual anaemic hues found on low end Squiers - I’m surprised that they hadn’t put the wood aside for something pricier.

Anyway, it got moved on when I bought an American Std Tele (I foolishly thought at the time that the Affinity wasn’t a real Tele since it lacked the skunk stripe and through-body stringing). Certainly the US Std is a better guitar in almost every way, but it is no more ‘Telecaster’ than the Affinity. In fact the Affinity’s basic simplicity probably makes it truer to Leo’s plank than Fender’s higher-end offerings.

The Affinity is the only guitar I’ve ever regretted selling but I suspect there’s a bit of the rose-tinteds going on here since the hardware was generally on the cheap and cheerful side. Nonetheless, the neck was way better than you’d expect from a budget instrument.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • My first thought was a Squier Joe Trohman Telecaster. The neck was WONDERFUL.
    Thankfully the one on my current Partscaster is just as good- nice profile, 14” radius, medium jumbo frets and satin finish. It’s lovely. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    The one from my 2009 MIM Fender Robert Cray and it's described as an early 60's "C" shape, but with a 9.5" radius and medium jumbo frets.

I believe they used to be fatter, like the Jeff Beck necks on his first round of signature Strats (Lace Sensors etc) and more of a baseball but over the years, they've made them slightly thinner. It's full and much fuller than a regular MIM neck, but not really that "fat" or like a "baseball bat"

I'd love to replicate this one and it's perfect and comfortable for rhythm and great on lead.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    The neck on the MM Stingray bass is the most comfy neck shape to me right now.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    joetele said:
    is it likely that Fender would have changed the neck profiles at all? Even within the same run of Teles (hence me finding the ones in shops at the same time felt different)? Was I lucky and did I get a 'good one' of the batch? 

I've owned a lot of guitars with theoretically identical neck profiles and no matter the manufacturer, no matter their reputation for quality control (or lack thereof), the necks always, always feel different.

I think it's inevitable when the material is something as variable as wood and there's some degree of human intervention, no matter how little, in the manufacturing process.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Tom Anderson Even Taper with 'heavy' frets is all I need.
    Afterwards everything else feels weird.
    HAL9000 said:
    Years ago I had a Squier Affinity Tele that I should never have got rid of. I played several and the neck on mine was just so much better than all the others I tried. Also, the (maple) fretboard had lovely figuring and was and that golden honey colour rather than the usual anaemic hues found on low end Squiers - I’m surprised that they hadn’t put the wood aside for something pricier.

Anyway, it got moved on when I bought an American Std Tele (I foolishly thought at the time that the Affinity wasn’t a real Tele since it lacked the skunk stripe and through-body stringing). Certainly the US Std is better guitar in almost every way, but it is no more ‘Telecaster’ than the Affinity. In fact the Affinity’s basic simplicity probably makes it truer to Leo’s plank than Fender’s higher-end offerings.

The Affinity is the only guitar I’ve ever regretted selling but I suspect there’s a bit of the rose-tinteds going on here since the hardware was generally on the cheap and cheerful side. Nonetheless, the neck was way better than you’d expect from a budget instrument.
    I've often considered getting an Affinity and putting in the MIM Tele's original pickups - a lot of the Squier stuff has felt lovely in terms of body and quality. 

Philly_Q said:
    joetele said:
    is it likely that Fender would have changed the neck profiles at all? Even within the same run of Teles (hence me finding the ones in shops at the same time felt different)? Was I lucky and did I get a 'good one' of the batch? 

I've owned a lot of guitars with theoretically identical neck profiles and no matter the manufacturer, no matter their reputation for quality control (or lack thereof), the necks always, always feel different.

I think it's inevitable when the material is something as variable as wood and there's some degree of human intervention, no matter how little, in the manufacturing process.
    Glad to know it's not just me and that I'm not insane for thinking it...I honestly feel like I was lucky with this one - it was ordered online after trying them in shops because the online store had them for £299 - and I guess I got a good one! It's a very thin neck but very comfortable and sublimely easy to play. I've only ever used 9s on it for strings, as the bends are immense. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader
    joetele said:
    OK folks, a few of you might have heard me harp on about my MIM Fender Standard Telecaster. 

It was bought in January 2004 so it's likely to be a 2003 model - in black, with white scratchplate and all standard parts etc. 

I upgraded the pickups to Samarium Cobalt Noiseless in probably 2007-2008 (I didn't know much about pickups at the time so it was a case of price and limited research, but apparently that's what the American Standards were fitted with at the time). 

I can remember trying a few guitars just before buying it, including a similar MIM Standard Tele in the local music shop, but the neck felt almost chunkier at the time. 

The neck on my MIM Tele is the best I've ever played/felt on a guitar (subjective, of course) - and every MIM Tele I've tried since just doesn't have the same feel on the neck - they either feel chunkier or less smooth. There's no fighting, no compromise required, it just feels like I can glide anywhere on the fingerboard and, even with my short, stubby fingers, I can shape most chords and scales easily. It's like butter, as the cliche goes. 

When I had those pickups changed around 07/08/whenever it was, the guys in the shop couldn't stop playing the guitar, and said it felt amazing. They couldn't believe it was a 'standard' Tele because it felt better than so many other guitars in the shop (which varied between your Squiers and your top-end Fenders).

Now, I appreciate that I've had this guitar for over 14 years, I'm a bit biased, and it's aged wonderfully - the once pale maple has become a warmer colour, and the frets are a bit more 'played in' - but is it likely that Fender would have changed the neck profiles at all? Even within the same run of Teles (hence me finding the ones in shops at the same time felt different)? Was I lucky and did I get a 'good one' of the batch? 

I know there's the adage that every guitar is different, even in the same run, but would the difference really be that tangible? 

Let me know your thoughts - there are wiser folk than I on here who can probably answer, but also interested in hearing about your 'perfect neck' guitar experiences. 
    If you have a guitar that feels that great , no matter what the brand - hang on to it!
    I have seen people with a similar "perfect for them" guitar trade it away in a quest for a more "desirable" (?) brand on the headstock and later realise their mistake.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    joetele said:

If you have a guitar that feels that great , no matter what the brand - hang on to it!
    I have seen people with a similar "perfect for them" guitar trade it away in a quest for a more "desirable" (?) brand on the headstock and later realise their mistake.
    Oh, don't worry - in all the years I've bought and sold guitars that didn't click with me, or to fund a purchase - I never once considered selling this one! Even if I eventually get something much more expensive, I'll never sell it. It's been with me too long, and plays too nicely. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    The best neck I've ever had is on a no-name bolt-on neck LP copy. I have my doubts as to how much of it is actually wood, but it feels wonderful.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    It depends a little on the guitar. My 336 has basically a "slightly-bigger-than-slim-taper" which is lovely. But my Strat has a CP60's neck which is very similar, and I'm swapping that having recently played US Standard and slightly falling in love with that feel specifically for a strat. My JM already has a very similar neck; just a medium C with heavy rolled edges. But that wouldn't feel right on a Gibson 

It's hard to describe why. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited July 2018
    If think there’s a degree of familiarity breeding irreplaceability with necks. Generally whichever guitar I play most has my favourite neck - and unless a particular one is either ridiculously big or ridiculously small - I can usually adjust to it very easily.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4286

Silver Series Squier!

Yes. Really.

I still have the neck. It's just not attached to anything anymore. 7.25 radius and tiny frets but it's lovely.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• normula1normula1 Frets: 639
    My mid 80s ESP 400 Series Tele just has the best neck ever for me. It's a bit on the chunky side but not excessively so, 22 fret fairly flat radius. The frets could do with being replaced as they're very small, but I'm burying my head in the sand about that as don't want to risk altering the feel.
    I bought it used in the late 80s for the same price as a new Fender as it simply blew them away.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22515
    If think there’s a degree of familiarity breeding irreplaceability with necks. Generally whichever guitar I play most has my favourite neck - and unless a particular one is either ridiculously big or ridiculously small - I can usually adjust to it very easily.

I was always a bit afraid of trying a Nocaster neck, because I thought if I liked it I'd find the necks on all my other guitars too skinny.

And it turned out to be true, to an extent.  I can adjust, like you say, but I do wish things like PRS wide-fats, for example, were just a bit wide-fatter.  And I won't be buying anything with less than a "50s" neck profile in future.

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24578
    This thread made me think

But the 64 P bass neck I have is, well... I’ll never put a better bit of bass neck on me P
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    My Squier J Mascis JMs do it for me. Spot-on size-wise and very comfortable. 
    Second place probably goes to my DeArmond Starfire Special, despite it having a rather flat fretboard (not a big fan of flat boards).
  • Ruokangas Mojo classic. I was warned when purchasing it (secondhand from TFB actually) that the neck was a bit bigger than your average. It has since become my favourite.