PRS SE Disappointment?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited July 2018
    When changing neck shape/scale length I often find it beneficial to practice scales and arpeggios for a bit to help get accustomed to the different feel and dimensions.

Just picking up different guitars and noodling on them doesn’t work for me if I’m trying to be accurate. Muscle memory kind of has to be re-dialed in a little 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    I took delivery of an SE Custom 22 Hollowbody yesterday.  It's a bit different to a 24 fret neck at first but I've got used to that but the string gauge - 10s I think - makes it feel like I'm fighting it too much, despite a low setup.  But the thing for me is the neck pickup which is sooooooooooooo dull in contrast to the bridge.

I'll play it again later but I can see it going back.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • rossirossi Frets: 1698
    I had an SE  Semi hollowbody.Solid maple cap .p90s .i just didnt bond with it .I changed the p90's for Toneriders which  vastly improved its sound but that neck just felt odd .I believe its called a flat  and wide and seemingly thats just what it is .I gave  up and sold it ..It was fine guitar though
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    my SE Soapbar is THE best guitar I own for sound, playability, feel and overall no-fussiness of use.

no, hangon, maybe my LP DC Jr is more angry and as nice but the PRS does more than just shout rude words at you...

Play it through a Tweed amp - then come back to us!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I took delivery of an SE Custom 22 Hollowbody yesterday.  It's a bit different to a 24 fret neck at first but I've got used to that but the string gauge - 10s I think - makes it feel like I'm fighting it too much, despite a low setup.  But the thing for me is the neck pickup which is sooooooooooooo dull in contrast to the bridge.

I'll play it again later but I can see it going back.
    It’s going back.  I can’t be arsed with changing things in the pursuit of making it sound more like I imagine it could.   Shame as it’s a lovely thing but so bland.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    edited July 2018
    I find that it takes me quite a long time to get used to a new make - whatever it is.  In my earlier days of playing much more so than now.

There are subtle changes your fingers need to make due to differences in fretboard radius, neck profile, neck width, neck thickness and taper and it takes a while for your hand to adapt without having to think about it. 

There are some guitars that I can't get on with, but I would never describe them as 'comfortable' for me to play.  The fact that you say yours IS comfortable, tells me this is not one of those cases

DO make sure the nut is set right, ditto the truss rod, and the action is not too high ( because those little and easily sortable things being wrong can wreck the playing experience) and persevere...I doubt you will regret it
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4669
    My decision to return it is based on a direct comparison with my CE24 with the same neck.  
  • tralfamadantralfamadan Frets: 31
    edited July 2018
    I really like those SE Semi-Hollows but I find the string tension in the longer scale-length Fenders (and your Epiphone) to be way more satisfying to play.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom