Should I sell my LP?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
I have a 2016 Standard ('T' model) in desert burst that basically lives in its case and has never been gigged. I think I am more in love with the idea of owning an LP rather than the reality. My wife keeps telling me not to sell it but I literally never use it and it is just sitting there.

I should get rid, right?

What are these worth now anyway?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I'll give you £50 just to take it off your hands ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My wife keeps telling me not to sell it but I literally never use it and it is just sitting there.
    Your wife sounds like a keeper!  :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Sell it.  If it’s lived in its case for 2 years it’s neither useful nor beautiful.  I’d then use the money to buy something that you really want to play.

Unless, of course, it was a present from Mrs Gearaddict in which case selling it would end you up in a huge amount of trouble.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I'm in the same boat with a guitar. I have decided to let it go because as beautiful as it is it get's very little play.

Life is too short!
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Flog it and buy something you'll use. Simple. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    I'll give you £100 for it! :)

The 2016 T series is pretty awesome - I have a white one; did a direct swap for it with a 2017 Traditional. Not sure on monetary value, although I'm sure the more knowledgeable chaps can chime in.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    It smells nice.
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    The case smells nice.

Flog it and keep the case?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Silly question I suppose but why doesn't it get played? I only ask as when I first got mine it was such a huge sum for a crazy 21 yr old I didn't dare breathe on it. Tried to wrap it in cotton wool, I soon learned that it deserves to be played and dinged, worn in etc.. if that's the reason just play it dammit!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

There's an element of that but mainly I just find it uncomfortable to play. I've got used to more S-type guitars.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    Fair do's, I play both but there is an element of difference between the 2 for sure. You could get a lovely Strat style for the money you'd get selling it. Or trade it perhaps?

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

Yeah, I'd just be selling it for cash - I don't really need another guitar. At the moment it feels like a guitar-shaped pile of money I can't use :)

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    edited July 2018
    Sell it and put the money aside in a geetar fund so you don't waste it on furniture or holidays, then you will know you got something you really do like.  There must be something giving you a little gas, new amp maybe? jazzmaster?....
    I think this is why my wife won't let me sell it :) She thinks I'll sell "a beautiful guitar" and buy "a pile of useless tat"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2018
    Unless you really need the money right now I'd keep it.

You'll only end up looking to buy another Les Paul at sometime in the future so you may as well hang onto this one....and maybe get it out and use if every now and again ;-)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Cols said:
    Sell it.  If it’s lived in its case for 2 years it’s neither useful nor beautiful.  I’d then use the money to buy something that you really want to play.

Unless, of course, it was a present from Mrs Gearaddict in which case selling it would end you up in a huge amount of trouble.
    the case might be beautiful. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5653
    I find myself wanting a Les Paul at the moment. I’m pretty sure if I get one it’ll follow an old pattern. There will be a honeymoon when I’m totally in love with it. Then it’ll get played less, eventually hardly at all and then I’ll sell it. Mostly likely at a loss. 

Some years will pass, another will turn my head and I’ll truly believe it’ll be different this time. 

If you don’t play it or at least have it on the wall and admire it, swap it for something useful. Even if that’s just a fund for when something you love turns up. 
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    If discomfort is the main issue, you could always look into an Axcess or a Feline. They solve some of the Les Paul's bigger ergonomic problems. 
  • RebarRebar Frets: 130
    If you're really going to sell, I think the best thing to do is to check out Gumtree, Ebay, etc. to gauge what similar instruments are selling for. At a guess, I think these are changing hands for about £1400 - £1500, but without specs and photos its hard to say for sure. 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7730
    PRS
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom