What Guitar Do I Want?

What's Hot
deloreandelorean Frets: 224
I'm not sure if I'm perhaps looking for something that doesn't exist, but hopefully you fine folk can point me in a new direction.

I was initially set on getting a Vigier Excalibur because I love the feel of the necks and the trem on them.  However a recent amp purchase has blown a large chunk of my budget and so I'm now setting my sights a bit lower.

What I'm after - 

A slim neck profile - As much as I do love the feel of the Vigier Excalibur necks, I would be very open to an Ibanez Prestige style ultra slim neck or similar (I'm not enjoying the feel of the Ibanez Premium necks at all).

HH or HSH configuration, I like high-ish output pickups so I can get my 'squealies' more easily :)

Locking tuners would be nice as I suck at string changes.

Preferably not a Floyd - I'd like something like a Gotoh 510 bridge/trem, like the ones on the Suhr Moderns.

Finish-wise, I love Koa and other natural wood finishes, so that sort of thing would be my first choice.  I also like a nice flamed top.  

Budget is £700-1k - and I'm more than happy to buy used.

Not keen on PRS necks and I've found the Musicman neck that I've tried a bit of a squeeze (on the JP6 at least).

Initially I thought an Ibanez Prestige would fit these needs, but despite the many different models available, they either don't have the right trem or finish, or tuners, or pickups.

Is there something that fits these requirements that I may not have thought of?  I'd rather not have to dick around with buying a guitar and then swapping bits out to make it what I need.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    edited July 2018
    Suhr Rasmus perhaps? One of the ones with the Gotoh 510 on.

Edit: just noticed you want a wood finish, thinking the only Rasmus like that was the Guthrie model. Over your budget I think.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    Boromedic said:
    If you can find one ! Never seen one on the s/h market, 
    something like this perhaps ?

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-AZ242BC-Premium-2018-Deep-Espresso-Burst/28PI
    Yeah they're pretty rare that's for sure. (Suhr!) I've only seen one or two in over 3 years. I may be selling one in a few months but, it has a Floyd and it's black.

• AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    Be careful!

Setting your goals lower can be a not so good thing but it depends on how much you want what you really have in mind.

You end up with a compromise and the ideal first goal in the back of your mind. 

You got 2 options. Either find the lower budget one that will replace 100% what you had first in mind or save up and buy what you really wanted to start with.
    Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Wiz'd agree 100% there

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The new Charvel DK-24 looks to be right up your alley.
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Andy Timmonds Ibanez could fit the bill  :)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    bide your time and buy what you really want. 
    You will only waste time and probably more money settling for less before you inevitably buy the thing you wanted in the first place. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • deloreandelorean Frets: 224
    The new Charvel DK-24 looks to be right up your alley.
    Oh my.. that's soooo close to perfect, but those finishes on the standard trem models are just a little fugly :(
  • delorean said:
    Oh my.. that's soooo close to perfect, but those finishes on the standard trem models are just a little fugly :(
    You don’t like shell pink?!
  • ColsCols Frets: 6953
    Washburn NX6?  Like an N4, but with a hardtail and a tone control.  Someone on the FB N4 group has one (padauk) for sale for £750.  I’d snap it up if it weren’t for the fact that Mrs Cols would murder me.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TXNOb3H
    delorean said:
    You don’t like shell pink?!
     It's the best of the bunch, but still not really floating my boat sadly
    Cols said:
    Washburn NX6?  Like an N4, but with a hardtail and a tone control.  Someone on the FB N4 group has one (padauk) for sale for £750.  I’d snap it up if it weren’t for the fact that Mrs Cols would murder me.

https://imgur.com/gallery/TXNOb3H
    That's gorgeous, but I'm not really after a hardtail at the mo
    Interesting!! But the shipping from the USA and customs duty are putting me off a bit sadly
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    I'd say mine fits the description and don't be put off by it being Suhr's largest neck profile, however, it's not within your budget :(
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/134698/f-s-suhr-standard-flame-hsh-spec-sheet-vids-pics-etc-1900-o-n-o#latest

The Suhr Rasmus is a good call but as has been said, they're quite rare now and people have been asking prices close to what they were new.

huubobulous has a nice Ibanez S2170FW in Burl model for £500 and it has a Prestige neck
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/15261/fs-further-price-reductions-on-all-cort-nzs-1-jem-bsb-ibanez-poplar-burl-s/p1

guitarmanessex89 has a USA Custom Shop Schecter Superstrat that has upgraded pickups (my old one)
    http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/103956/custom-shop-schecter-upgraded-classic-60s-strat-and-prs-s2-singlecut-satin-for-sale#latest

Both these guys are great to deal with and I hope you find what you want :)

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    Blade RH-4 might be worth a look. Very well made guitars with a slim C neck profile and a very stable, non-locking trem. It does have HSS pickup configuration but you could always fit a rail humbucker in the neck position.

Out of your price range new but they go for around £800 - £850 used.
  • iain.reverbiain.reverb Frets: 246
    Boromedic said:

Edit: just noticed you want a wood finish, thinking the only Rasmus like that was the Guthrie model. Over your budget I think.
    Didnt suhr do a satin modern with a 510 ? Could probably find a used one for close to top end of the budget
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

• VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    If I were you I'd just wait a bit until you can spend more and get the Vigier like you wanted. I've got a good mate who's got a Rasmus - and it's a very nice guitar, but not as nice as the Vigiers. He managed to pick up a Vigier for about £800 from Gumtree so it may be worth checking out the s/h market for a bargain. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290
    Boromedic said:

Didnt suhr do a satin modern with a 510 ? Could probably find a used one for close to top end of the budget

Yes, the Suhr Modern Satin would fit the OP's spec, but I think he'd struggle to get one within budget.

I had my eye on one (albeit left handed) listed on Reverb recently but it was £1,600.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to