What do YOU want from a small brick & mortar store?

What's Hot
JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 233
Evening all :)

I'm going to be helping a friend of mine with the marketing for his shop- a fantastic store in Birmingham called The Little Guitar Shop. I've been shopping there for years and recently have built some marketing skills that I would love to use to help develop awareness of the store.

So as part of this I was looking to gather some opinions. I know we all do a fair amount of secondhand-buying online, and I guess a lot of us could agree that if the same bargains and deals were as plentiful on the high street then maybe we'd get out more and flip less (...okay maybe not flip less).

But what is it about the stores that you frequent that set them apart? Is it to do with their stock? Simply a matter of convenience? Their online content or a particular service they offer?

Conversely, is there anything you specifically dislike about the way certain stores market themselves or engage with the online community?

For me personally, I've always loved stores that provide interesting content that isn't explicitly tied in with clearing stock. Obviously independents in the UK most likely don't have the budget of, say, Reverb, but I love the interesting and varied content they put up regularly- history of quirky models, breaking down tones etc.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    I have never bought anything from the Little Guitar Shop but it wasn't my fault!
    I wanted a high end Tokai semi but they had sold out and were waiting for stock. 
    Tokai are nortorious with their supply to dealers and the stock never came within a decent timeline so I bought elsewhere.
    I did however have a few nice conversations with Martin and I made a genuine note to deal with them in the future.
    I check their stock all the time.

As for how do you market such a great and niche store I don't really know! They seem to have carved out a little haven for certain brands and more people need to know about them!
    They can't compete against the Andertons of this world but absolutely deserve to grow their market share.
    Genuinely decent stores need to stay around.
    Good luck and best wishes.
  • JackobeanJackobean Frets: 667
    Website looks like it's been in operation since 1999, and I can't buy anything online. Sort that out first, then worry about competing with Andertons via social media.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    First off, thank you for being up front about the relationship you have with the shop - not everyone has that level of respect.

I think any small shop needs the basics - strings and plectrums, cables, possibly a handful of get-you-through-the-evening's-gig valves.

Then it gets tricky. At the moment I'd like a fanned-fret 8-string or a posh offset (G&L or Anderson). But the shop will probably make more of a living from good starter instruments. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Turnover of used stock is critical in my opinion. 

My local shop is very good for this - he'd rather do a deal at a smaller profit than sit on stuff for ever. 

This works well for him, simply because it's worth popping in at frequent intervals to see what he has in stock.

Nothing kills a shop faster than calling in after a couple of months and seeing the stock is exactly the same. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    I echo what been said above, but will add that the shops I like best are those that are happy for people to try stuff.  No pressure and no dicks showing off with everything turned up to 11.  Somewhere with a relaxed attitude will make me want to return and buy more.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    I echo what been said above, but will add that the shops I like best are those that are happy for people to try stuff.  No pressure and no dicks showing off with everything turned up to 11.  Somewhere with a relaxed attitude will make me want to return and buy more.
    This. If I'm trying a guitar I don't need to hear the shop-boy play it. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Been in there a few years ago, ..had some work done on my Taylor 414...no problem, good chat with Martin...I just don’t visit shops much, 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited July 2018
    The stores I go to are the big ones. Because I can be pretty certain they have everything in stock.

I recently bought a guitar second hand, online from a shop in wigan, symphony music. It reminded me that a good local shop is run by good people. Nice to do business with, knowledgeable, good prices on their products and very fair. It was a slightly unusual instrument and they had done their Google ad words homework and made it easy to find.

The other thing that seems to be essential for a decent smaller store is a really clear point of difference - some interesting brands, a decent stock of second hand stuff, a great tech, strong knowledge etc.

Online presence is a must, but you won't beat the likes of andertons, Dawson's, gak etc. Especially if you're trying to sell a white strat or sunburst les paul.
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 233
    Thanks for the reply guys!

TLGS does have great stock of some more left of field brands, like Tokai, G & L (they have 3 Dohenys in), and Rickenbacker, which I know players would find interesting, especially with the incessant price hikes for the bigger boys.

i agree, the website leaves a lot to be desired. It’s a bit Angelfire. They currently do more through Facebooks but it’s interesting to see that having a well kept shop front is still hugely important!
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    All staff must understand that those pople coming in through the door pay their wages, they don't want to be fobbed off by a scrote who doesn't care.

If you go the extra mile for your customer, your customer will travewl the extra mile to buy from you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • sawyersawyer Frets: 732
    Looks like they have some cool gear! Is that right payment by Bank Transfer only for mailorder? PayPal would be a better option id say. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    I like the shop for looking at and Martin is a decent chap but the stock is too spendy for me so I've never really bought anything other than strings there. But that's because the stuff they favour there is above my price bracket, I'm sure they aren't over priced just more than I can justify.

I'd say they have the customer experience thing right in store except for it being the size of my pantry, but I don't think there is any more space for demoing stuff there is there?

I reckon Martin would be good at little info-demo videos about some of his unusual stock, might work well on Facebook
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • toescantalktoescantalk Frets: 142
    Sounds like you have someone in the shop that knows what they're talking about without being assertive. That's a local shop I'd visit.

Website, lose the purple create more space as said above. Use the width of the screen (scroll left and right for new guitars for example). Frames are for mirrors.
  • Get that ranking up in google so we can find the shop when we search for guitars. 

Update Instagram, Facebook regularly, Youtube videos are great

make sure stock is kept upto date on website
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 562
    Personally I want decent stock of more niche brands along with some bread and butter stuff. 

For anything consumable I usually use Amazon but local people still need strings etc. 

For the rest I buy from Peach or Coda - I think their brand choices are great and cover a nice range. I will happily drive for 2.5 hours each way to either of them.

What gets me about those two is how good their product knowledge is as it really helps to narrow down choices - they listen to what you want to achieve with the gear. Priceless for me compared to the terrible box shifter types who know nothing about what they are selling. 

I do also buy from GAK as I have a few good contacts there who look after me and it’s a 5 minute walk. 

Main things I want are friendly people who remember you and try their best to make you happy. 

Any shop that wants to make money needs to have a decent e-commerce site - doesn’t need to cost a fortune but does need doing well. 

A great example of a smaller online retailer that does it differently is Home of Tone. Great brands, quick to respond and has a personal touch in each package and a little gift or stickers etc...sounds minor but in a world of boring brown paper deliveries something personal stands out to me at least. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 233
    I like the shop for looking at and Martin is a decent chap but the stock is too spendy for me so I've never really bought anything other than strings there. But that's because the stuff they favour there is above my price bracket, I'm sure they aren't over priced just more than I can justify.

I'd say they have the customer experience thing right in store except for it being the size of my pantry, but I don't think there is any more space for demoing stuff there is there?

I reckon Martin would be good at little info-demo videos about some of his unusual stock, might work well on Facebook
    There’s a whole other floor and a basement! Again- stuff that should maybe be pushed more. All the ricks live  on the 2nd floor...it’s a beautiful site 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    I think used stock is the area where a small shop has the best chance of differentiating itself, along with offering  p/ex and commission sales.

Ultimately owner run stores have the ability to build lasting customer relationships which are harder to achieve in high volume environments. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I hadn’t looked at their website for a while; they used to have pictures of guitars that had already been sold which was a bit annoying so it’s good that stopped. The video page seems a bit redundant - lo fi videos of guitars that don’t reflect stock, although it’s easy to ignore. 

As for in store, I’m not sure although I was put off Fair Deal for a long time by their stupendously rude service. So, not rude service.

It’s likely to be part of a trip out with MrsTheWeary so somewhere there are other things to look at; MrsTheWeary knows that area better than me in this case but anyone unfamiliar with the area might want to know it is by pubs, coffee shops, restaurants and some of the most unique jewellers in the U.K. The other guitar shops in Birmingham are in less interesting places ( positively bleak around PMT) so for some customers that seems a strong selling point. 

TBH I’m a big fan of any shop with a nice toilet. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TADodgerTADodger Frets: 211
    If the location is to stay the same it has to be set up and sold for what it is. This is not a big open store but is an interesting, friendly customer focussed operation that is a rabbit warren of treasure, and it needs some customer planning.

I have bought a couple of guitars from TLGS, and each time I go, there have been various numbers of visitors around in the middle of, or waiting for, transactions of some description and the layout leaves little space for browsing (or even waiting) which may put people off. Not to mention parking which is difficult unless you have been before and know that you can drop into the loading bay and an eye out will be kept.....

I agree that with the slightly left field stock, Tokai, G&L, own brand pickups etc there is a youtube opportunity and the website does need a makeover, but I really like the store and the staff and it is going to be a potential hazard to my wallet managing a project a mile down the road for the foreseeable future!