Having a guitar built? Think about it!!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16546
    resale is always going to be an issue on any item custom made to your spec.  If its your number one concern, i would say don't ever go custom.

If you are trying to get to a guitar that does everything you may also run into issues.   Most designs work best when they do a few things well.   Focus your custom ideas on a few main things you want from a main guitar. Don't try and cram it all in or you will be buying a Homer.

If your design is really out there try to remember most guitar designs go through prototypes and R&D.  The first version of a new design is unlikely to be perfect.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    As a builder who is vintage biased it makes sense to me catering to that demographic, people that have had strats teles and les pauls but for some reason haven't found the right one or specs that simply aren't available mass produced

For instance Poopot on the forum had a tele neck made by us and didn't like the modern Gibsons he'd played so i let him play a few different LP style guitars which he liked better, he actually said why can't gibson make them like these, lol

I also like mixing and matching fender and gibson and did set neck strat and tele with gibson style necks which i prefer, you can't buy these either, same as a full carved top dc junior which I'm building now

If you can't find it in the shops get something made by someone you trust and visit them and try some guitars out would be my advice
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    WezV said:
    resale is always going to be an issue on any item custom made to your spec.  If its your number one concern, i would say don't ever go custom.

If you are trying to get to a guitar that does everything you may also run into issues.   Most designs work best when they do a few things well.   Focus your custom ideas on a few main things you want from a main guitar. Don't try and cram it all in or you will be buying a Homer.

If your design is really out there try to remember most guitar designs go through prototypes and R&D.  The first version of a new design is unlikely to be perfect.  
    Thank you for your input. This is valuable advice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    As a builder who is vintage biased it makes sense to me catering to that demographic, people that have had strats teles and les pauls but for some reason haven't found the right one or specs that simply aren't available mass produced

For instance Poopot on the forum had a tele neck made by us and didn't like the modern Gibsons he'd played so i let him play a few different LP style guitars which he liked better, he actually said why can't gibson make them like these, lol

I also like mixing and matching fender and gibson and did set neck strat and tele with gibson style necks which i prefer, you can't buy these either, same as a full carved top dc junior which I'm building now

If you can't find it in the shops get something made by someone you trust and visit them and try some guitars out would be my advice
    Once again great advice based on actual reality!
    This is the kind of input that is needed.
    Not everyone would consider the risk of obtaining what they really want but some people do! 
    The thread was started to build up a picture of the pitfalla and the rewards of doing your own thing.
    Thank you for your input.
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited July 2018
    I'm Perfectly happy with mine Fat/Round necked LP DC Special built by @GSPBASSES , Faber nickel hardware from @streethawk , pickups from @theguitarweasel, wiring harness from Marc@Mojopickups and finished with lush nitro from @lamf68  Love it!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    edited July 2018
    Doug said:
    perfectly happy with mine Fat/Round necked LP DC Special built by @GSPBASSES , Faber nickel hardware from @streethawk , pickups from @theguitarweasel, wiring harness from Marc@Mojo and finished with lush nitro from @lamf68

I hope that I'm too drunk and full of hurt after recent sporting events , but my bitterness is about to spill henceforth. Isn't that just a Gibson copy, wasn't this thread about custom guitars ? Apologies if not, if so why ?............... thats a local made Chibson as far as I can see
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    artiebear said:
    Doug said:
    perfectly happy with mine Fat/Round necked LP DC Special built by @GSPBASSES , Faber nickel hardware from @streethawk , pickups from @theguitarweasel, wiring harness from Marc@Mojo and finished with lush nitro from @lamf68
    Isn't that just a Gibson copy, wasn't this thread about custom guitars ? Apologies if not, if so why ?............... thats a local made Chibson as far as I can see
    in that case virtually everything else is a chibson according to you inc collings the list is endless

One thing you can't go in and buy is a dc junior with a vintage fret scale, only small makers use it, some care some don't, i know i do as that's the only scale i use on any short scale i make

www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    edited July 2018
    artiebear said:
    Doug said:

I hope that I'm too drunk and full of hurt after recent sporting events , but my bitterness is about to spill henceforth. Isn't that just a Gibson copy, wasn't this thread about custom guitars ? Apologies if not, if so why ?............... thats a local made Chibson as far as I can see
    Local made Chibson? Eh? 

Yes, strictly speaking it’s a fake - but it’s only a fake if it’s sold as a complete unit. A custom headstock job does not a Chibson make. 

If anything, it’s an Engson. And even then, it’s not really. If I chose to put a fender logo on my partscaster, it doesn’t make it a Chibson. It makes it a partscaster with a fender logo on it. 

I have a 51Precision partscaster with no logo but it does have the right shape headstock and body dimensions. It’s custom tho - you won’t find another out there similar. But it’s not a Chibcision tho.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11496
    tFB Trader
    Seriously no pleasing some people...............

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Said it many times before - I ordered a custom built guitars some years ago and hated it. I would never do it again.

The other issue for me these days, is why would it be necessary anyway? The choice and quality of guitars on offer seems to make the whole idea redundant....
    So you can tell everyone what a unique and special butterfly you are

It's why I buy customs.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    artiebear said:

Isn't that just a Gibson copy, wasn't this thread about custom guitars ? Apologies if not, if so why ?............... thats a local made Chibson as far as I can see
    It doesn't say Gibson on the headstock, and the round logo on the back of the headstock isn't "right" (for want if a better word - sorry). 

I'd guess that the neck joint and heel don't look like Gibson ones either. 

It is obviously in the style of, but it is not to my mind a fake as it would not fool anyone taking more than a cursory glance at it - the "Gibson" logo on the headstock on its own means this isn't a fake. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    Seriously no pleasing some people...............
    Indeed ... 
    Chibson definition: contraction of 'Chinese Gibson'. ie. a guitar that seeks to fake a Gibson made in china and with an illegal Gibson name serial number and 'Made in the USA' stamp/decal. A guitar that by forum rules you may not post pictures of the branding (the headstock). 
    The guitar in the post by @Doug is none of those things. 
    The logo sails close to the wind, true ... much as the 'Burny' headstock logo does/did, but it's not a 'Chibson'. 

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9098

And what a neck it is!... it’s a pre cbs slabboard and it’s stunning to play. Over the years I’ve had lots of guitars and I’ve bought a lot of aftermarket necks and this isn’t the first custom neck I’ve had built... but, this knocks all of the others out of the park!... it just feels right!...

I took a chance on this and ordered it blind when I realised they were building these necks, took a bit of a punt if I’m honest... but I needed a tele neck anyway and the cost was well within budget so I blagged my way into the build... best thing I’ve done in recent years!!!!!

ive also played some of Darren’s LP type guitars and can honestly say they are better than anything Gibson have put out, better than the “true historics”... hate to use a cliche but they really do sing.

if I can offload a kidney or one of the kids I will be commissioning one of those as well!...

Now here’s the “regrets” part!... I should have got the same neck made as a strat neck instead of a tele neck, but only because I gig strats and not tele’s...

if you are thinking about comissioning a build give @customkits a call first!...
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Unless it’s a set neck, pretty much every single part of a guitar is changeable and there’s so much information and training out there for free on YouTube and the like that most people could customise their own guitar to their choosing quite easily.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    edited July 2018
    I'm having a guitar built for me now. I went that road because I wanted a guitar that was unique looking. I didn't want to copy the guitar every Tom, dick or Harry uses at the local dog and duck. By that I mean fenders, Gibsons even PRSs'. I want to be me. However I do like a certain neck feel, weight and shape. I know I don't get on with a strat shape for instance. I can guarantee not many will have what I'll have in a few months time. It will also be very well made with my preferences in mind I.e. taken measurements from guitars I do like It will sound awesome too I know that too once I've got all the hardware on it to my spec

i agree with you though that id never commission a guitar that looks exactly like a les Paul. Just can't see the point and rather buy one in a shop after many try's on various guitars 

The rest is in the fingers. An awesome player can make a cheap Chinese  guitar sound fantastic etc
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    edited July 2018
    artiebear said:
    Doug said:

How is it not a custom build?, It started out as a Gspb LP Junior. I asked him if it was possible to build one to my spec, which would include a fat round neck topped with an ebony, crown inlaid fretboard and smaller headstock. Routed for neck + bridge humbuckers, 1 vol 1 tone + 3 way toggle and drilled for a tuneomatic + stoptail.  I chose the pickups I wanted, I chose the nickel hardware, I also chose the custom colour for the finish. So which Gibson does this actually copy?. The only Gibson anywhere close is an early 80's Gibson Spirit as far as I can see, yet even then only because it's the same flat top body shape with two humbuckers. As regards Fake, Bollocks, for the reasons already mentioned and the fact it says Gibcon on the headstock! AND the builders name on the rear of headstock. It wouldn't and was never built with the intention to fool anyone. You may not like it, fine. As I said, I'm perfectly happy with my custom build, go read rule one
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2913
    I'm having a guitar built for me now. I went that road because I wanted a guitar that was unique looking. I didn't want to copy the guitar every Tom, dick or Harry uses at the local dog and duck. 
    I can understand that - early this year I ordered a Gordon Smith to my own specs, including a custom colour they've not used before. As a result it's a unique guitar, at least it is until (if) someone else decides they want the same thing. :)  There's also something special about the fact that it simply wouldn't exist if I hadn't ordered it... 

But it was a bit of a gamble - bear in mind most signature guitars are the result of a series of prototypes, despite the fact that they've been made for pros who you might think would've already worked out exactly what they want. For myself, I was just choosing from a set of options, and specifying a colour I like (and even then I made a mock up in photoshop to see how it all looked). The physical specs were based on a limited choice and preferences I've had for a long time. I think I would've had a very good chance of getting it wrong if I'd tried to create something highly original!
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    In 2012, I had a Guitar custom made for me by Ruokangas for the handsome cost of nearly £3K. As time passed I realised I made a gaff with the neck profile so I had it reshaped by the very talented Shane Haigh of Wakefield. Both of us were clenching throughout the process, but he made a great job of it.

The only other thing I wish I had done differently is the Scratchplate Colour, I had a White one with it and wished I'd gone Mint Green or Parchment. It's too costly to get a new one from the Builder and I think it would be a faff to try and age the White Plastic of the current Scratchplate.

Thing is, you have to know what you want, I took a gamble on the neck profile, I went for something different which is foolish when such sums are involved. The other thing "Colours" can change with taste, but I wish I'd seen more of the classic colour schemes before just going for White on the Scratchpate. I think I used to look at Guitars and assume the Scratchplate was white, I didn't know the Subtle differences when mixing colours.

Everything else about the Guitar is stunning, it's a pure tone machine and I'd never sell it.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.