That neck on your guitar - you've never found a better neck since

What's Hot

Comments

• AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    Sorry to say that I don't have any preference when it comes to necks and even with my 2 long term electrics you got a 1990 EC signature Stratocaster and a kind of standard Jackson thin one on my Rhoads custom. 

Still my hands are so used to both of them and I can't say what the favorite is. They both have their reasons for being cool.

Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    dogload said:
    My Squier J Mascis JMs do it for me. Spot-on size-wise and very comfortable. 
    Second place probably goes to my DeArmond Starfire Special, despite it having a rather flat fretboard (not a big fan of flat boards).
    Funnily enough I tried one of the new Vintage Modified Squier Jags in the local music shop a couple of weeks ago and was surprised just how nice the neck felt. I'm not used to shorter scales but this felt really comfy, smooth and easy to play. Really liked the sound of the pickups on it, too. If I had a bit of cash spare I'd have taken it home with me (and then got a bridge alteration done). 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 321
    The nicest necks I've played have not been on any guitar I own. They've been various Fender types with chunky-ish (but not huge) well worn in nitro finished necks with fairly rolled fingerboard edges.

But in terms of budget guitars, I really like the neck on the Squier VM Mustangs. Surprisingly chunky.

• It depends a little on the guitar. My 336 has basically a "slightly-bigger-than-slim-taper" which is lovely. But my Strat has a CP60's neck which is very similar, and I'm swapping that having recently played US Standard and slightly falling in love with that feel specifically for a strat. My JM already has a very similar neck; just a medium C with heavy rolled edges. But that wouldn't feel right on a Gibson 

It's hard to describe why. 
    My dot 335 has something very similar to your CS336 - it just feels totally natural to play. The slight satin quality of a decade of wear on the nitro just adds to it. 
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    edited July 2018
    My PRS 25th Anniversary Mira had, what to me was an amazing neck. Realy comfy and easy for me to play. I regret selling that guitar and now i can't afford to get another.

I understand that this neck carve was only available on this model too so a cheaper alternative looks out of the question
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    My PRS 25th Anniversary Mira had, what to me was an amazing neck. Realy comfy and easy for me to play. I regret selling that guitar and now i can't afford to get another.

I understand that this neck carve was only available on this model too so a cheaper alternative looks out of the question

I believe it was the Regular (sometimes known as Standard) profile, which was also an option on the "normal" humbucker loaded, 24 fret Mira.

The difference was the 25th had 22 frets and, I think, the slightly shorter 24.5" scale.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 233
    My Johnny marr jag has the perfect neck. It’s actually kind of ruined other guitars for me :(
  • EartrumpetEartrumpet Frets: 98
    Philly_Q said:

I believe it was the Regular (sometimes known as Standard) profile, which was also an option on the "normal" humbucker loaded, 24 fret Mira.

The difference was the 25th had 22 frets and, I think, the slightly shorter 24.5" scale.

I knew about the scale length but not the neck detail, so thanks for that info.
    Maybe worth going out and trying a few other PRS guitars then.
    I liked the rounded  almost fat feel to the neck, also liked the P90s but that is another thing....... as i said Regrets
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
    My mid-90s MIJ Fender 50s Tele has the best neck of any guitar I've ever owned or played.  It's a maple board, 7.25 radius, vintage frets, soft-V profile.  Chunky, but oh so comfy and familiar.  Might need to think about a refret in the near future, but am a bit worried it'll not feel quite the same afterwards.
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • markr76markr76 Frets: 360
    Well for me my custom shop 62 strat was always my perfect neck. It's fairly fat for a 60's style neck and has a 9.5" board on it. The frets are medium jumbo I think. Plays like a dream. It was as though fender personally made it for me!
    Although I picked up a new guitar that i ordered from Patrick James Eggle last weekend. One of his 96 models. It's always a worry when you spec a guitar that you won't bond with it once it's in your hands. But I didn't have to worry. The neck on it is stunning. Plays like butter. It has a soft v profile and a 12" board. All satin finish roasted birds eye maple. The frets are narrow tall ones and have been finished very well. I've bonded with the guitar already. The neck is a standout feature on the guitar.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    Best neck I ever played was on a mates old Washburn. Terrible guitar, ropey pickups, but there was something about that neck. I had a similar Washburn and the neck was ok but nothing like his. We always said when the rest of the guitar had finally packed up we would salvage the neck and bolt it onto any old lump of wood we could find. Just goes to show, sometimes it all comes together, there's no way you would have thought that guitar was anything special. It made you play a certain way, quacky guitar we called it, and it came to define his musical style which he still plays to this day. 
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    Philly_Q said:

I knew about the scale length but not the neck detail, so thanks for that info.
    Maybe worth going out and trying a few other PRS guitars then.
    I liked the rounded  almost fat feel to the neck, also liked the P90s but that is another thing....... as i said Regrets
    Try some S2 models, they nearly all have the Regular neck profile (or the updated Pattern Regular, anyway).  Probably won't feel exactly the same as your old Mira, but they won't be a million miles away.  Not too pricey secondhand, either.
    normula1 said:
    My mid 80s ESP 400 Series Tele just has the best neck ever for me. It's a bit on the chunky side but not excessively so, 22 fret fairly flat radius. The frets could do with being replaced as they're very small, but I'm burying my head in the sand about that as don't want to risk altering the feel.
    I bought it used in the late 80s for the same price as a new Fender as it simply blew them away.
    Strangely enough ESP used to do a Tele in the early to mid 2000s which I think was endorsed by Jonah Matranga - I think it had a bucker at the bridge, but it always looked really nice. I think it was called a Hybrid. The image I remember from the catalogue was a maroon kind of body colour with a black scratchplate. 
  • iain.reverbiain.reverb Frets: 246
    Best guitar necks on the planet are on James Tylers, Fill your palm, satin smooth and rolled edges just a shame about the headstock !
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

I've never been sure about 'chunky' necks - people seem to love them but I've got quite short stubby fingers so I appreciate quite narrow, thin necks like on my MIM Tele. Having said that, I found the Pacifca 112 neck just a bit too narrow, especially at the nut. Not great for chords. 
    joetele said:
    Strangely enough ESP used to do a Tele in the early to mid 2000s which I think was endorsed by Jonah Matranga - I think it had a bucker at the bridge, but it always looked really nice. I think it was called a Hybrid. The image I remember from the catalogue was a maroon kind of body colour with a black scratchplate. 
    Like this one?  They've been making that model, or variations on it, for a long time.  I seem to recall first seeing a black & white picture of one in a guitar mag (or maybe even Sounds) way back in the 80s.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • rexterrexter Frets: 369
    tFB Trader
    I miss the neck on a 1968 Melody Maker SG I had more than any other I think.

Probably not to a lot of peoples' tastes as it was very narrow at the nut and incredibly chunky/deep. Refretted with medium frets it played like a dream. Just really comfy and exactly how I like them.

I have some mahogany neck blanks and plan to build a couple of necks later this year, and top of my list for ages has been to build something similar to this in bolt on form. Think I still have the email address of the guy I sold the Gibson to so I might see if he can give me any measurements from it if he's feeling generous... Highly optimistic to think mine would be as good as a vintage Gibson though!  :o
    Custom colours, vintage restorations, high end guitar finishing
    www.rexterguitars.co.uk
    Philly_Q said:
    joetele said:
    Like this one?  They've been making that model, or variations on it, for a long time.  I seem to recall first seeing a black & white picture of one in a guitar mag (or maybe even Sounds) way back in the 80s.

That's the exact one! I need to find a Youtube video of how it sounds. Always thought these looked really nice. 
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Tom Anderson necks are wonderful.
    Also PRS necks that aren't painted. I had an NF3 once with a glorious neck.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    One of my mates had an early 90s 57 avri Strat which had just the right neck for me. I'm probably remembering it super-favourably but it was lovely. The only thing I've personally owned which runs it close is a Musikraft Franky neck with no finish..

I very much love the neck on my MIJ Jackson Fusion also.. much thinner but it was my first proper guitar so I think I'm predisposed to liking necks similar to it. 

I like fatter necks when I'm playing seated but thinner ones when I'm playing with the band. I don't know if that's in my head though. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"