What do YOU want from a small brick & mortar store?

What's Hot

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2914
    I use the same shop as @p90fool and can vouch for the system they operate.

He always has a fair selection of the usual suspects but the best thing is the commission sales. It's worth going in just to see what has arrived.

He has established the shop as a community musician resource, I bought my first guitar there 30 years ago and my last one about a month ago. Even if you are not in the market for a guitar it's worth seeing what exchange pedals are in, I've picked up some bargains and I've probably paid over the odds at times but it all goes to keep the shop running.

Every Saturday he has a local musician to entertain the customers, you can pop in for a (free) coffee and just enjoy listening the performer he has on that day. Some young, just starting out, some rockers, some blues, whatever, but some are phenomenal. You don't have to buy anything.

He has young kids in with their mum's buying violin bows or you can buy a top dollar Rob Williams creation. Or if you have itchy fingers, you can just go in and pick something you like the look of and have a play around with it. The lads that work there will have a conversation with you and you can sit outside smoking and putting the world to rights.

He doesn't do internet sales at all.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    If possible, separate soundproof booths for trying stuff out is cool. For the staff as well as the punters.
  • artiebearartiebear Frets: 810
    Two things, honesty and relationship. Thing is ,they work both ways 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    artiebear said:
    Two things, honesty and relationship. Thing is ,they work both ways 

To be honest that is what I felt whilst dealing with them. Martin wanted to give me what I wanted and if Tokai had played their part I would be a happy customer of theirs.

He even emailed me , as promised, whilst I was away in South Africa and I was so chuffed I even called him back.

It may have just been a phone call but you pick up so much from a conversation.
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6838
    Research your demographic and cater to them, which you already started on. 

Also survey your customers. Ask them what it is that makes them use TLGS. 
    See if a trend develops. Then if its a unique one, pitch that as what sets you apart from the rest. 

Build on the good reviews you’ve already got. I googled the little guitar shop and google shows a 4.7 out of 5 star rating, with 36 reviews. 

I’d shop there based on that. But the higher number of reviews means more people will take interest I reckon. 

Aldo ask people why they wouldnt use TLGS. 
    See if you spot trends in the answers there, and then see if you can add it to your services. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited July 2018
    p90fool said:
    Turnover of used stock is critical in my opinion. 

My local shop is very good for this - he'd rather do a deal at a smaller profit than sit on stuff for ever. 

This works well for him, simply because it's worth popping in at frequent intervals to see what he has in stock.

Nothing kills a shop faster than calling in after a couple of months and seeing the stock is exactly the same. 
    this is a huge thing any little shop needs to get right if it's going to survive in these times.

you've got to make patrons feel that if they are in town every weekend & they don't make the effort to drop by, they run a big risk of missing out on something really interesting that won't be there next week.
    FOM ('Fear Of missing Out') is as big a driver as desire & need as a customer motivator.

so that will mean making decisions that prioritise perpetuating fast turnover above per item profit. maybe some part-ex thing you thought you would make £50 on, you only make £25 on.
    but the important thing is to keep stock fresh & prices sharp.

as @p90fool said, if a customer comes in four weeks on the trot & the stock hasn't changed, then realisticaly (we are all busy) why would they feel they need to come in more often than once every month?

being knowledgable about gear & always up for considering part-ex options will also help.

re online content, this is one of my favourite shopmade demo videos, because it is so 'just get on with it' basic & instantly (2mins) tells you (eyes & ears) all you need to know about what a new piece of gear is & what it's potential is as a player.
    hit &run, thanks for the time. i love it. every little shop should have a demo ike this for every bit of gear, if they can find the time (liven up those quiet monday morning shifts).

if you want to go into serial numbers & fine condition details you can just call or email the shop.
    but the bare bones of 'what it is & what it does' are so simply & quickly laid out before you that it makes those who rely on huge production values, lame bantz or pseudo drama to do the same job, look as if they are totally missing the point. tv & film can do that stuff better than music shops, so i think bare bones & back to basics is where it needs to stay.

it also helps that this guy is an endearing character & a superb player. he runs through a bit of everything, clean, dirt & verby, a perfect instant sampler of the scope this little burns can cover.
    & i love that modest little thing he does at the end of his closing run. as cool as f*ck.
    *sniff*... *nod...* ('now get outta town...').

& finally, really think local not fretboard. the fretboard core demographic may well not be the core demographic of your primary market. i think it's generally older, wealthier & more male than average. not in any way a criticism, just an impression.

so if a ton of people here are saying 'stock loads of rare fenders & gibsons' & you are operating in a town with a big college or major uni & a huge contingent of young impoverished players who want to flip the squier-epi they bought last week for a squier-epi you have this week, you need to think about keeping that stuff on constant rotation. & tailor stock peaks to student loan cheque time (beginning of each semester). they like affordable & change often.

anyway if the shop is already established this is granny teaching you how to suck eggs, but maybe something in there.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    Some of the previous contributions seem to assume that a music retailer is free to choose exactly what to stock.

Many distributors insist on a structured account. In order to have the super expensive signature guitar or amplifier, there will be an obligation to take three or four of the next level down the price pyramid and a shedload of the beginner/intermediate models.

Generally, the proportions of this pyramid will reflect the proportions at which the different price points sell in the so-called real world. There may also be an obligation to hold a minimum stock level.

Finally, some distributors do not like having retail outlets whose catchment areas overlap.
    Be seeing you.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    My favourite guitar shop is Guitar Sound in Chichester. The website is always updated, when you go in they are super friendly and enthusiastic, and they are competitively priced.

They stock interesting new models across the price range - Fender, Martin, Guild, Faith, Sigma, James Nelligan - and have a good selection of used instruments and amps for a small shop - enough to make you want to pop in to see what they have in. 

They also commission a local builder to make guitars for them to sell in store. Again, this must help footfall as I'll go in to see what is available. They probably stock three builders guitars at a time at around £1k each. 

The other thing is that all the guitars and amps are available to play and you will be encouraged to do so.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I've used the LGS once before and found them very personable, I bought a 1965 Tele Bitsa off them. For LGS in particular, I found a good selection of stock, I would personally have liked a little more vintage stuff but thats just me and the parking isn't great there although I'm not sure what they can do about that.

As for what I want in a Guitar Shop, I'd like a good selection (and turnover, great point of this above) of quality used gear, a welcoming atmosphere, perhaps some rugs on the floor, old music/gig posters things that would appeal to guitar nerds.

One thing that puts me RIGHT off in any shop I go into is an assistant hovering round in case I touch anything or "DO NOT TOUCH" signs on the expensive guitars (as if I am going to take it down and swing it against the nearest wall like an axe - we're guitarists, we appreciate the instruments...) or THE WORST is one of those little black alarm wires threaded through the strings so you can't take the guitar down.

For me, Chris at @ampguitars in Macclesfield has it pretty much nailed, the decor (as mentioned above), stock selection and just general customer care is A1. I've been in perhaps only 5 times (we've since become pals on Facebook) and he greets me by name, offers a cup of tea straight away and we sit and chat about music, what's come in, what's coming in, what's gone out, he understands what I like and suggests some stuff, all in a no pressure environment. So much so, of the 5 times I've been in, only once have I not come out with a new guitar which were mostly unintentional purchases! 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • iain.reverbiain.reverb Frets: 246
    Evening all :)

I'm going to be helping a friend of mine with the marketing for his shop- a fantastic store in Birmingham called The Little Guitar Shop. I've been shopping there for years and recently have built some marketing skills that I would love to use to help develop awareness of the store.

So as part of this I was looking to gather some opinions. I know we all do a fair amount of secondhand-buying online, and I guess a lot of us could agree that if the same bargains and deals were as plentiful on the high street then maybe we'd get out more and flip less (...okay maybe not flip less).

But what is it about the stores that you frequent that set them apart? Is it to do with their stock? Simply a matter of convenience? Their online content or a particular service they offer?

Conversely, is there anything you specifically dislike about the way certain stores market themselves or engage with the online community?

For me personally, I've always loved stores that provide interesting content that isn't explicitly tied in with clearing stock. Obviously independents in the UK most likely don't have the budget of, say, Reverb, but I love the interesting and varied content they put up regularly- history of quirky models, breaking down tones etc.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
    I deal with a lot of stores similar to TLGS, some do incredibly well and some are hanging by a thread in the current industry climate. If you or TLGS want some advice and support, drop me a line and I'd love to help as its a great store.

The key things that separate the successful from the struggling is finding the niche that separates you from the competition and mining that seam around the clock, whether its focusing on used or boutique or something else.

Content marketing can be amazing, but it takes a lot of time/effort/resources and can take a while to see ROI. Consistency is key in doing content marketing and you need to be able to generate content on a weekly/monthly/daily basis for it to really work for you. 

Its better to focus on things that will see immediate returns in the short term like overhauling the website and investing in google shopping/adwords. Look at the quality of pictures for the stock as that's what drives sales online. Pick up a cheap ring light or softbox on amazon, turn a small space in the store into your photography area, it doesn't have to be huge, some stores screw a guitar hanger into the back of a white painted door and get great results. A semi recent smartphone will take good enough pictures so the investment here doesn't have to be much. 

As far as a website goes, it doesn't have to be a huge investment either. We do a free one that I could have up and running inside a few days for you but there are other platforms that are relatively easy to use and inexpensive. Don't get an outside agency or designer to build you one. 

Drop £50 on getting a new logo or branding done from Fiverr or another service marketplace. Currently the visual branding of the store isn't that engaging.

I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jackss565Jackss565 Frets: 8
    Regarding the website, personally I would look at reducing the amount of information on each guitar/amp on the landing pages of each category and then having more information for each one on a separate page. Currently you have to scroll down for a long time (on mobile at least) to have a look at each item. That’s fine for people just browsing but if I’m looking for a particular guitar and want to see if you have one then I don’t want to browse 15 others on my way to it. A headline list followed by click here for more info would be more effective.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4290

From a personal perspective, stock multiple left handed guitars.

Equally I understand that for a small shop, this is often not worth the money or effort. Which is a shame.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    FWIW if the person in the shop knows their sh1t and they are a good person then I'll more likely buy from them than someone I don't know who's a bit cheaper. It's not just about price, it is about availability, and it is about the relationship you have with the staff.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Fuengi said:
    My favourite guitar shop is Guitar Sound in Chichester. The website is always updated, when you go in they are super friendly and enthusiastic, and they are competitively priced.

They stock interesting new models across the price range - Fender, Martin, Guild, Faith, Sigma, James Nelligan - and have a good selection of used instruments and amps for a small shop - enough to make you want to pop in to see what they have in. 

They also commission a local builder to make guitars for them to sell in store. Again, this must help footfall as I'll go in to see what is available. They probably stock three builders guitars at a time at around £1k each. 

The other thing is that all the guitars and amps are available to play and you will be encouraged to do so.
    Yep I would second this great shop and a very good website, would be a good website to look at to bring more attention to the shop and drive some online sales.  The owner of Guitar Sound made me play a 60s ES335 that was thousands knowing there was a 0% chance of me buying.
  • steersteer Frets: 1161
    edited July 2018
    Not talking about your shop, but ...
    I want to be badly intimidated by the small clique of locals who are mates with the shop owner and spend their entire lives in the shop. If I do manage the shop staff to let me try out a guitar, I would love the staff to make quite clear that he is doing me a massive favour., and for me to be very grateful that this is taking him away from discussing life with his shop-frequenting friends.   I would particularly love to then play this guitar this in front of all the aforementioned blues loving grey bearded self-appointed expert regulars, and by no means would I want to be allowed a little space and time in a semi-private location to try out the guitar in peace. 

s 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9552
    edited July 2018
    Aren't little guitars a bit niche?

Seriously, I can see what people say about the website. I've never actually visited TLGS. However, the website does come across as quite friendly and chatty and it would be a pity to lose that aspect if you were to go for a new design.

What do I want from a guitar shop? 

Knowledgeable staff.

Staff that can 'read' when I just want to browse and when I would like some attention.

Guitars that have been set up and that don't have rusty or sweaty strings.

Something different from the usual wall of Fenders. I like Fenders but a display with fifty variations of Strattiness just bores me rigid.

Decent used selection.

Possibly a cup of coffee and a chat.

Decent selection of cables, strings, etc.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • AnderzAnderz Frets: 30
    The store I used to frequently visit was more of the only nearby choice if you wanted anything guitar related. In certain parts of Denmark music stores are mainly in the biggest towns. 

I found that what I saw and heard did not match what I wanted. I had to start somewhere and so of it went trying all sorts of stuff. 

At the time I was into metal but the store did not have anything related much to that. The range of guitars were all at a certain price point though some times they did get some cool stuff but still not often. They could order anything for me and they did  some times.  

Now so many years later I got the experience and kind of know what I want so nice and friendly staff. the ability to try everything without being bothered to much as usually that is the best for me to get into any gear. That is about it.

Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place: https://computershopuk.com/
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9166
    If you want to know how to run a smaller guitar store, talk to Mark at guitars4you. 
    If you want to run a big guitar store that still has small store service, talk to John at Peach. 

In short, it’s all about service and these guys absolutely nail it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 886
    Use Destroy all Guitars as a template. Sell high end UK hand built guitars, amps and pedals. Be very very picky and selective with what you sell. 
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    This far into the thread and no one has said "I like to see a reasonable range of bricks"

Anyway, I like that my nearest smallish but decent store didn't ban me for life when I picked a Jackson Custom Shop PC1 (1 of 25 in the world) off a hanger and proceeded to very firmly twat it against a USA Strat when attempting to put it back in its place.

I'm not sure which was louder, the crisp attack of one premium bit of tonewood against another or the sound of me soiling myself.

Luckily no marks were left.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom