Fender Blues Jnr IV + Nu Tubescreamer = Creamey cacks!

What's Hot
ParkerParker Frets: 960
edited July 2018 in Amps
Needed a nice little valve amp that didn’t bust the bank. Tried the Orange Rocker 32 and Jet City JCA20. Both great. But then the sales guy gave me the FBJ and new Tubescreamer. Bought them on the spot! Such emense tone!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Glad you've got a rig that sounds good to your ears. There's not much love on the board for Blues Juniors but I love mine. I always leave the master vol on full and then bring up the preamp to taste. This give a nice clean but fat tone that is perfect for being overdriven with pedals. :)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Parker said:
    Needed a nice little valve amp that didn’t bust the bank. Tried the Orange Rocker 32 and Jet City JCA20. Both great. But then the sales guy gave me the FBJ and new Tubescreamer. Bought them on the spot! Such emense tone!
    Have you gigged it yet? Had one before and found it lacked a small bit of headroom in live gigs, so much so that I had to push it so it was never really "clean" sounding at gigs.
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Parker said:
    Have you gigged it yet? Had one before and found it lacked a small bit of headroom in live gigs, so much so that I had to push it so it was never really "clean" sounding at gigs.
    No - and one of the reasons I got the amp was because it's unlikely I will be playing live anytime soon. Wanted a quality tone at home. Would have gone for more wattage if I planned to gig. Hopefully by the time I get to that stage, I will be able to ship a Lazy J out here! :) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    If they made a 20 watt version of the BJ, I'd be all over it!
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    I've always wanted a Blues Junior, tried several in shops. They're the perfect amp for 'that' sound. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8176
    Could never get to grips with them as a driven amp, personally. Lovely clean though.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Hattigol said:
    Could never get to grips with them as a driven amp, personally. Lovely clean though.
    That was my experience too, but then I've always tended to use Fender amps purely for the clean and then use pedals for distortion. I had a Hot Rod Deluxe (first or second gen) which was used in the same way. Try as I might, I couldn't get a good drive sound out of it. But then that could also be a subjective thing too. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • VinylfanVinylfan Frets: 33
    Sounds wonderful.  I tried a Blues Junior whilst trying out a guitar and really liked it.  Did you get the latest version?
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    I’ve a first generation American made one which I believe aren’t actually as good as the later Mexican ones. Sounded good enough for me to impulse buy it though ;)
  • ParkerParker Frets: 960
    Yeah MkIV. Sounds perfect at the house volume I’m currently playing at. The Nu Tubescreamer just tips it over making it more creamier than Jersey....massively impressed with the pedal.
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    TS9 & Blues junior MkIV sounds great with my Tele and my PRS. 
  • equalsql said:
    Glad you've got a rig that sounds good to your ears. There's not much love on the board for Blues Juniors but I love mine. I always leave the master vol on full and then bring up the preamp to taste. This give a nice clean but fat tone that is perfect for being overdriven with pedals. :)

Wis awarded.

This is EXACTLY how to get a Blues Junior sounding great.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5112
    I love the idea of a Blues junior... Fender, Reverb, low wattage, small package... but I’ve owned a couple of them and swore I’d never buy another after reliability issues... :s
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    equalsql said:
    I think the issue is the FBJ doesn't really sound like a Fender amp. I had one years ago and it was great if you stuck a pedal in front but it didn't have that chiming Fender clean. Not sure what the FBJ III sounds like. Mine was an ancient MK1. As an amp I think they're great and Captain Anderton said they were the top selling amp in his store for years.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1012
    To get rid of the boxy sound, i normally stick the amp on a chair.
    “Ken sent me.”
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Been using one of the new Blues Juniors for our smaller gigs and love it. Got a flight case for it too so it has somewhere to sit on.