The Pedal Finishing Thread - Painting, Coating, Drilling, Envirotex, etc

What's Hot

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Philtre said:
    It's shiny enough for me. And the beauty is it's easy enough to peel it off and put on another one if you change your mind. =)
    That looks good, will have to try one myself. Was it any harder applying the doubled up sticker to the enclosure?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    Octafish said:
    Philtre said:
    It's shiny enough for me. And the beauty is it's easy enough to peel it off and put on another one if you change your mind. =)
    That looks good, will have to try one myself. Was it any harder applying the doubled up sticker to the enclosure?
    I messed up the first time when I put the clear sticker over the inked one because I puckered it. But apart from that, it was fine. So far it's looking good. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? I peel it off and out another sticker on.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    Let me know how it looks as it gets use and knocked about.  I’m a bit dubious about how good it’ll look in a few years vs a ‘tex finish.  
    Adam_MD said:
    Let me know how it looks as it gets use and knocked about.  I’m a bit dubious about how good it’ll look in a few years vs a ‘tex finish.  
    OK, I'll report back in a few years. =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Philtre said:
    Further to my experiment of transparent sticker over inkjet sticker, here's one I put together today. It's a Zendrive clone, I've tried to show where the transfer meets the edge of the enclosure. I'm happy with this approach.

I'm going to miss the smell of Envirotex... ;)

dune1

dune2
    @Philtre that sticker approach looks great, I can't even tell where the sticker ends - is it right at the black outline?
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    @BigMonka Yes, it is. You can, in real life, actually see the sticker raised slightly on the actual pedal, but no more than like those Electro Harmonix pedals, and certainly not even an issue when the pedal is on the floor.

The pedal is still looking good to me. There may be a "gotcha" after some time has passed - maybe the sticker will peel at the edges or contract or pucker up, or something. I'll wait and see. Worst case scenario is to simply peel it off, put on another one and Envirotex over the top if this plan fails. :-)
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    Cool, thanks ;
    The sticker approach might be suitable for those of us who only want to make a couple of pedals so buying a vat of envirotex works out quite expensive per pedal.

Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    edited July 2018
    Here's another pedal done with the same double-sticker approach. The decal is solid.

rc
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    Don't know whether this should be a seperate thread or not.  While looking at my pedal board my daughter laughed at my joyo vintage overdrive and said it looked rubbish.  To be fair it does but sounds great.  I thought about removing the finish and giving her a summer holiday project of decorating it for me as she is quite a manga style artist.

Can I get all the finish off just with sandpaper firstly, then is their any kind of pens she could use to draw on it.  Doesn't need to be the best finish ever would sharpies work or do you need something else for metal?

Any thoughts from clever people who know this stuff, or anyone else of course.
    Posca pens is what folks use.

See:

munckee said:
    Don't know whether this should be a seperate thread or not.  While looking at my pedal board my daughter laughed at my joyo vintage overdrive and said it looked rubbish.  To be fair it does but sounds great.  I thought about removing the finish and giving her a summer holiday project of decorating it for me as she is quite a manga style artist.

Can I get all the finish off just with sandpaper firstly, then is their any kind of pens she could use to draw on it.  Doesn't need to be the best finish ever would sharpies work or do you need something else for metal?

Any thoughts from clever people who know this stuff, or anyone else of course.
    Like Phil said poska pens will work.  

A bit more labour intensive but this used to be a joyo vintage overdrive.  I reused the enclosure to build a Landgraff clone.  120 grit Sandpaper took the finish off really quickly.  

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers have ordered some posca pens for her. That pedal looks great!  
    Posca pens have arrived, want to sand the original finish off to get back to bare metal for her to have a blank canvas.  I assume take the casing off rather than just take the knobs off and tape up the holes?, are there likely to be any problems putting it back together?
    You should be able to drop the whole thing out of the enclosure once you take off the nuts for the pots and jacks.  I’m pretty sure everything is board mounted so can come out in 1 piece.  Then when you’re done you can put it back in.  

I wet sanded mine and ran it under water at the end to get rid of debris.  
    Adam_MD said:
    You should be able to drop the whole thing out of the enclosure once you take off the nuts for the pots and jacks.  I’m pretty sure everything is board mounted so can come out in 1 piece.  Then when you’re done you can put it back in.  

I wet sanded mine and ran it under water at the end to get rid of debris.  
    Thanks @Adam_MD  it was east to go apart and went back together easily. Sanded off the finish with 150. My daughter lost interest in painting it pretty quick but did some funky doodles on it. Am going to sand off my American sound too as my wife wants a go with the pens!
    Make sure you show us some pics when you’re done.  

This is the picture of my daughter's half hearted effort, she does amazing manga pictures but decided I wanted a surf board due to my love of kayaking (to be fair I do love surf music!)

https://i.imgur.com/zgDGPRc.jpg?1

My wife's go at the American sound to follow.

Looks a lot better than the regular joyo pedal  =)
    Adam_MD said:
    Looks a lot better than the regular joyo pedal  =)
    Yes!
    It definitely does look better, I just know what she is capable of, for some reason I'm drawn to having a tattoo of the picture as she drew it for me.