Gary Clark Jr albums...

What's Hot
HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9551
edited July 2018 in Music
Was fortunate enough to see Gary Clark Jr at Hyde Park on Sunday. Absolutely superb performance and I'm now keen to get some of his stuff. Any albums that are essential (and any that are best avoided)?

Thanks
I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Blak and Blu was his mainstream breakthrough if you can call it that. Has some good tracks on it, notably When my train pulls in, Numb and You saved me. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    Get the live one. 

The studio ones are a bit hit & miss - trying to be a bit hip-hop/soul with the production and nowhere near reflecting how biblically good he is live, imo
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    Get the live one. 

The studio ones are a bit hit & miss - trying to be a bit hip-hop/soul with the production and nowhere near reflecting how biblically good he is live, imo
    ^^ This!
    He is just monster live.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    equalsql said:
    Get the live one. 

^^ This!
    He is just monster live.
    THIS + 1 (or is it +2?)
  • I was pretty disappointed with the live one tbh. Watched live vids of him and didn’t think the album captured the same energy although could just be a visual thing.
    The studio albums are more eclectic and while I don’t think they really flow in a typical “album” way, I do like that it’s not just 12 extended blues jams. 

• kaypeejaykaypeejay Frets: 776
    I've got his Sonny Boy Slim album, it was not what I expected but has some great tracks on it. I also like the fact that there is a real mix of song types on there.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I didn’t like a lot of Blak and Blu to start with although it grew on me a lot. Really couldn’t get on with Sonny Boy very well.
    It'd be download or streaming but as well as the live stuff there’s the Bright Lights ep which is what started all the fuss. 
    Also look for his performances on the Crossroads 2013 dvd ( I think you’ll find them on YouTube if you don’t want want the rest of the DVD) which are are an ‘ahh, now I get it’ moment. 
    If you want to be a real completist he has one track on the Justice League soundtrack; which is this:

https://youtu.be/r7imYeuAfkg
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    This clip is practically the best thing he's ever done, which might be the one @EricTheWeary ;
     is referring too.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    This clip is practically the best thing he's ever done, which might be the one @EricTheWeary ;
     is referring too.

There’s a track from that concert where he’s jamming with Clapton et al and they all have these custom shop Fenders and he just kills it on a $400 Epiphone. Can’t remember the name of the track though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1054
    There are two live albums. Both are very good. 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    I don;t think Blak and Blu is bad, but it does feel like a session musicians CV.    The songs are good, but they don't gel together as an album for me.   Its not a case of him combining genres, but moving sharply from one to another each song

maybe that is just a reflection of the way music has gone... (less album consumption, more eclectic tastes etc..)
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    To me, Blak & Blu is the better of the two studio albums. However, I should note, it took some time to grow on me. The Story of Sonny Boy Slim didn't do anything for me.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/