Recommended reading for someone new to DSLR cameras?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
I have decided to dip my toes into the world of DSLR cameras and have just ordered an entry level camera (Canon EOS 1300D) and would like to know if there are any recommended books that I should read, I don't want anything too in depth but something that covers photographing landscapes, rivers and the sea and very close up pictures of insects and plant life please. Thank you in advance.

Edit: Also any advice on any essentials I may need would be greatly appreciated.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4671
    With a digital camera, trial and error is a very viable solution, and you don't need a book for that. Find some images you like and see what lens and exposure was used and give it a go.

I trained as a photgrapher almost fifty years ago and the biggest problem was getting to the final print or slide, because it took a lot of time.  Now, you can take twenty shots, look at them all in seconds, see what's wrong, see what you like, and then have another go.

You'll find as much in something like AP as you will in a string of books.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1395
    I’m in a similar situation and I think you can get all the advice you need off youtube. There’s a hell of a lot of conjecture and brand pushing but if you dig through all the “you NEED x lens/filter/body etc to do this” there is a wealth of info out there. 

Other than that just get out there and throw yourself at it. Find out what type of photography it is that you enjoy and research the different ways that different people do that style. There’s so much advice out there. 
    How very rock and roll
    Also, try and go out with others more experienced than you. I recently did this wth a pro friend of mine and learnt more in one evening than I have done in the past year of dicking about 
    How very rock and roll
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12314
    YouTube is a great place to start. Join a forum like Talkphotography for more in depth advice. 

Dont get bogged down too much with extra gear at first, learn how the camera works first and what it can and can’t do. You can add other stuff as you realise what it’s limitations are. Beware that if you do get into it seriously it’s a worse hobby for GAS than guitars!  :)
  • 100% watch some Chelsea and Tony on YouTube. They have beginner guides to help explain concepts like focusing, aperture, shutter speed and film speed.

I learnt all of that stuff from the camera manual back when I got an old film SLR though :) so maybe they still do discuss it in the manual.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Your first big 'milestone' should be to shoot in Manual mode full-time. That requires an understanding of the big three exposure controls - Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. Learning what each does, how they affect the other two, and how to manipulate them for your creative needs is the foundation of any good photographic skill set.

YouTube is your friend here, go watch!
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26749
    +1 to the above - watch some vids and read some beginner articles and experiment with aperture, shutter speed and ISO until you're familiar with how they interact, and how you need to balance them to get the right exposure. Like everything, it's usually a compromise to get the right depth of field, the right amount of motion blur (or none) and the right amount of light onto the sensor to get the picture to look ok. 

I wouldn't necessarily worry about actually using full manual mode, but it's good to understand it properly. I rarely set all 3 settings manually - I'm perfectly happy choosing aperture myself, sticking with ISO 200 (in daylight) and letting the camera pick shutter speed for me. But i'm perfect capable of doing it myself should the need arise. It all depends on what you're shooting really.

All bear in mind that you'll almost certainly need to spend a bit of time processing anything you shoot. I use Lightroom, but there's plenty of other options - Capture 1, or even Apple's Photos app or Google photos are pretty powerful these days. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    +1 for manual mode. I started here but only as the Youtubers banged on about it! I just thought that’s how you did it. It is hard but once you get your head round the exposure triangle it will make sense. 

Also +1 for processing. Tbh I find that side of it more enjoyable than anything else. 

You have a lot to learn but starting from scratch with photography has reminded me of how exciting it can be to learn something and appreciating those little milestones along the way. 
    How very rock and roll
  • boogieman said:
    YouTube is a great place to start. Join a forum like Talkphotography for more in depth advice. 

Dont get bogged down too much with extra gear at first, learn how the camera works first and what it can and can’t do. You can add other stuff as you realise what it’s limitations are. Beware that if you do get into it seriously it’s a worse hobby for GAS than guitars!  :)

Second on the gear. Seriously, if you have a kit zoom it's a decent lens. If you want something else, be clear on what it is you'd like to achieve before asking for advice :) 

I'm a member of a few Facebook groups (nikon and Sony - I'm going to move to Sony) and I was astounded at how many people have purchased a Sony A9 and three G master lenses before asking why some of their picture isn't sharp and what depth of field is etc. I don't begrudge spending lots of money on gear, but often they have inappropriate gear for their goals. 
  • Forgot about processing! It's amazing what Lightroom can do these days and most images only go through photoshop for specific work or if they are to be printed big.

Also, don't use windows Photos app - it's not colour managed and if you have a decent monitor your photos will often look over saturated or generally nasty. 
    Forgot about processing! It's amazing what Lightroom can do these days and most images only go through photoshop for specific work or if they are to be printed big.

Also, don't use windows Photos app - it's not colour managed and if you have a decent monitor your photos will often look over saturated or generally nasty. 
    Yup. Without wanting to get into gear-spend-mode, I love that I can take an iPad with me when I travel, import & edit photos in the evening or on a plane, and have them quickly download to my laptop for final tweaks as soon as I'm home. Then share them from my phones & when I want to, making the same level of edits on any of those devices as well. 
  • Forgot about processing! It's amazing what Lightroom can do these days and most images only go through photoshop for specific work or if they are to be printed big.

Yup. Without wanting to get into gear-spend-mode, I love that I can take an iPad with me when I travel, import & edit photos in the evening or on a plane, and have them quickly download to my laptop for final tweaks as soon as I'm home. Then share them from my phones & when I want to, making the same level of edits on any of those devices as well. 

Yup, I use Lightroom mobile on my Nokia 8 - works really well, and results are very good indeed! Very few features are missing for me (brush tool is it I think). Great for on-the-go instagram stuff.

Beggars belief that some apps (*cough* Microsoft) are not colour managed but hey ho. Lightroom mobile also does a great job of editing jpegs taken from my phone. 
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    zepp76 said:
    I have decided to dip my toes into the world of DSLR cameras and have just ordered an entry level camera (Canon EOS 1300D) and would like to know if there are any recommended books that I should read, I don't want anything too in depth but something that covers photographing landscapes, rivers and the sea and very close up pictures of insects and plant life please. Thank you in advance.

Edit: Also any advice on any essentials I may need would be greatly appreciated.
    For Landscapes, rivers and seas - to start with, I would give the opposite advice to most posters above. Set the camera to auto exposure and worry about COMPOSITION. Later on, you can get into manual exposure setting (for instance to freeze or blur moving water) but I would say that comes after you develop an instinct for what makes an interesting (to you) photograph. Look at a ton of photos online and start to form opinions on what works,etc. 

For very close up insects and plant life - this is a very technical area of photography (usually called "macro"). The closer up you want to get, the more technical it becomes. To start, you'll need a close focussing lens (a "macro" lens)  which let's you get near to the subject.  Macro lenses tend to have monikers like 1:2 or 1:1 which is the magnification ratio of the lens (1:1 gives twice the magnification of 1:2)  A focal length of about 100mm is usually good for macro (but it must be a "macro" lens). 

If you want to get the ultra close up insect mandible type shots, you'll need quite specific equiprment - but I would wait before buying that stuff. I would say get a macro lens, see how far you get playing around and if the bug bites, then think about more gear. A tripod would probably be the first thing
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4944
    I Googled 'Lightroom' and the response was a number of books offered to help. Is Lightroom computer software and if so, where can it be bought? I have heard about Photoshop but it appears very complicated to use. The free image software supplied with my Canon DSLR is overwhelming without being shown what it can do or how to do it. All help or pointers appreciated. Even the name of a good book on the subject would be a great help. Thanks
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Rocker said:
    I Googled 'Lightroom' and the response was a number of books offered to help. Is Lightroom computer software and if so, where can it be bought? I have heard about Photoshop but it appears very complicated to use. The free image software supplied with my Canon DSLR is overwhelming without being shown what it can do or how to do it. All help or pointers appreciated. Even the name of a good book on the subject would be a great help. Thanks
    Adobe Software - can buy on line or subscribe.

Re books to help a beginner, the "Digital Field Guide" series is pretty good, they have specific editions for most popular DSLRs so you get camera specific help which is useful if you are starting with zero knowledge.
    @Rocker - as above, Lightroom is an Adobe software series. It’s a cataloguing and developing app, with options for local and cloud storage. 

Unlike photoshop it’s aimed specifically at photographers and focussed on photography-specific adjustments compared with photoshop which is a generic image editing suite. 

• NomadNomad Frets: 549
    +1 for manual mode. I started here but only as the Youtubers banged on about it! I just thought that’s how you did it. It is hard but once you get your head round the exposure triangle it will make sense. 

People think it's hard because they're used to cameras doing it all for them, aided by marketing blurb that implies you need the latest whizz-bang auto camera to rescue you from the perils of indulging in the black art of making a correct exposure. I learned it aged 16 with a manual-only mechanical film camera, a hand-held light meter, and a few minutes chat at the local camera club. When your only option is manual, you just accept it as part of what gets learned to be able to take photos. It's not hard, it's easy.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4612
    Get the book "Understanding exposure" utterly brilliant and the "night and low light photography"
    Nomad said:

People think it's hard because they're used to cameras doing it all for them, aided by marketing blurb that implies you need the latest whizz-bang auto camera to rescue you from the perils of indulging in the black art of making a correct exposure. I learned it aged 16 with a manual-only mechanical film camera, a hand-held light meter, and a few minutes chat at the local camera club. When your only option is manual, you just accept it as part of what gets learned to be able to take photos. It's not hard, it's easy.

Yeah. And it's *really* easy with a modern digital camera - just decide which setting is most important, adjust the other 2 to get your exposure meter close to 0, then adjust again to under/over-expose as desired. 

Or keep it in Aperture/Shutter priority and skip the second step - I love Fuji X series as it lets me set aperture and use the exposure comp dial for everything else.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    edited July 2018
    I don't understand why the need to shoot manual, or make it some kind of target.  I never did learn in manual (I know how to use it), but I stick to Aperture Priority almost all the time.  Instead I used to exposure compensation dial to bump up and down the stops of light  With off camera flashes I use manual but that is a different kettle of fish.

Once you get how the ISO, Aperture and Shutter speed affect each other and what it does, there is no brownie points shooting in manual.

Here is another tip, don't dwell on the science of it too much, it really isn't that much to learn, there are 3 settings and 1 shutter button.  Spend time learning the art, I am serious.  I see a lot of people spending ages trying to learn how a camera work but they get bored, because they end up taking uninteresting photos of their cats a lot, but its the same shot after shot of it, there is nothing inventive of the cat.

In the end it is the art that is the fuel to make you take more photos, same way like the music that makes you want to learn guitar.  Learning to play single note isn't that fun, but when you put them together, that's where the fun begin.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom