Satchel's Tone Print pulled from TC Electronic site due to being sexist...

What's Hot

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    These days, everyone paints themselves as a victim. 
    What are you a victim of? 

Internet forums 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    joeyowen said:

Internet forums 
    Ah yes, textual abuse.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Lady terada found it tasteless and unfunny, but didn’t care for banning it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Schnozz said:
    If you go to the lengths steel panther have gone to be funny, it's no longer funny and kind of tragic. The lead singer actually has plastic surgery - is that part of the parody? 

Nah, they're shit.
    That's how I've always felt about them, although they do what they do very well.  They're crass, sexist and offensive as a joke, but it doesn't change the fact that they are crass, sexist and offensive.

As for the pedal furore, I have mixed feelings.  I do feel there are far too many people looking to be offended nowadays.  But reading that TC Electronic blurb, it doesn't come across as parody, it just reads like genuinely misguided advertising copy... from 1987.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27585
    Philly_Q said:

That's how I've always felt about them, although they do what they do very well.  They're crass, sexist and offensive as a joke, but it doesn't change the fact that they are crass, sexist and offensive.
    I'm not sure if it's possible to tell whether it is a jolly clever post modern joke , or if they're actually just crass, sexist and offensive, and the 80s hair band thing is just an attempt to justify it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16012
    I'm not offended but it actually isn't funny in the least........playground humour
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:

I'm not sure if it's possible to tell whether it is a jolly clever post modern joke , or if they're actually just crass, sexist and offensive, and the 80s hair band thing is just an attempt to justify it.
    It was funny-ish for one album, bit difficult to stretch that sort of humour over the 4-5 they've done though...
  • randellarandella Frets: 4088
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:

It was funny-ish for one album, bit difficult to stretch that sort of humour over the 4-5 they've done though...
    All they do for me is remind me of just what a good film Spinal Tap was.

David St. Hubbins: It's such a fine line between stupid, and uh...

Nigel Tufnel: Clever.

David St. Hubbins: Yeah, and clever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:

It's a good thing then that the musicianship makes up for it ;)

Some amazing riffs on those albums.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11673
    Interesting, given as the TC debate has played itself out (if they have removed the offending comment they must at least see her point) is the nature of offense and offensiveness. 

Two very intelligent people talking on a similar topic

We have to be so very careful, what we believe in...
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    FarleyUK said:
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:

Yeah, they are very good at what they do. And apparently nice chaps, one of my mates has met them several times after shows. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    FarleyUK said:
    Sporky said:
    Philly_Q said:

Yeah, they are very good at what they do. And apparently nice chaps, one of my mates has met them several times after shows. 
    Same here - met them after a few shows, and really good guys. Nothing like their stage personas.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    GAS.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    edited July 2018

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I always thought Stephen Fry just comes over as sanctimonious in that clip. But anyway... 

I hope we all agree that *everyone* has the right to be offended by shit others say & do, and to call those people out for their twattish behaviour. People and companies also have *every right* to ignore that criticism and continue said twattish behaviour, and suffer whatever consequences arise. 

FWIW the girl on twitter didn't mention offense - merely disappointment that a company like TC would think that write up (*not* the patch name itself) was a good idea.

Frankly, it's just shitty copy, and quite a big misjudgement by a company who you'd think would know better in a global marketplace. Steel Panther are not really very famous and anyone who doesn't know who they are would have absolutely no clue whether that description is supposed to be tongue-in-cheek or otherwise. In any case it certainly ain't funny.

I'm not remotely offended, it's just completely unnecessary. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Steel Panther having a career is like making 5 series of a sitcom based on one punchline. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    He's a cunt and his band are worse than The Darkness, something I never thought was possible. TC's reaction was reasonable, but I'd rather they had responded by simply adjusting his toneprint so that it sent 240v straight into anyone who tried to use it.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    He's a cunt and his band are worse than The Darkness, something I never thought was possible. TC's reaction was reasonable, but I'd rather they had responded by simply adjusting his toneprint so that it sent 240v straight into anyone who tried to use it.
    You are lesbianwithagun and ICM super low hanging strap.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    No low hanging straps here dude, i wear my basses level with my tits.
    No low hanging straps here dude, i wear my basses level with my tits.
    You mean level with the drummer and sound man?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom