Ridiculously Lenient Sentencing

What's Hot
darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
I'm no right-wing zealot, and I seriously thought twice about starting this, but it makes me want to scream at the sky it's so tragic so I'm venting here..

The essential torture ot death of this poor boy by these people is horrific, and one of them will probably be out in under a year.

I can't help but feel but this level of cruelty deserves far harsher punishment than this.  The living hell that kid must have experienced just chills me to the bone.

How can that level of evil go as good as unpunished in a civilised society?
You are the dreamer, and the dream...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Some people really should not be allowed to reproduce.

Meanwhile, no matter when they are released, the perpetrators will struggle to find employment anywhere. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12295
    Horrible story and make a you wander how this has been allowed to happen, I assume that outside agencies were aware of this boys existence. And the dead baby hidden in the bedroom? Serious mental health issues here. The state of the house must reflect these people’s minds.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    They'll be out in no time. They won't serve a full term.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    wow they were only prosecuted on manslaughter!! serious mental health issues for sure I suspect. Very sad that they did not have the support they should have had. Bet they were on social works books too.
    The prisons are full and the government cancelled Labour's plans to build some more. I don't know all the facts in this case but there is evidence sentances are lenient.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited July 2018
    Poor bastard. It's a whole sorry tale of the incompetent trying to look after the vulnerable. I'm not normally one for intervention but I can't help thinking it would have been right in this case as the defendants clearly couldn't cope.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    What a distressing story. Wish I hadn’t read it really. But not a lot of facts in respect of the reasons for the sentencing in that article and judges, mostly, aren’t idiots. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11745
    What a distressing story. Wish I hadn’t read it really. But not a lot of facts in respect of the reasons for the sentencing in that article and judges, mostly, aren’t idiots. 
    True.

My initial post was sparked by sheer horror at the whole thing, maybe I'm being unduly harsh.

It's just so tragic.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    edited July 2018
    No, but there is strong evidence of lenient sentencing (see the article I posted above).

July 2017: Dozens of prisoners had their sentences extended after complaints that their original tariffs were "unduly lenient".

The Attorney General’s Office said 141 prison terms were increased in England and Wales in 2016 under the Unduly Lenient Sentence scheme. Up by 39 from 2015, it represented a 17 per cent rise from the previous year.

Among the sentences that were increased, 41 were sex offences, 16 associated with robbery and 19 were grievous bodily harm cases. Fourteen sex offenders are now serving time, when they had originally been let off prison sentences.

One rapist and one attempted murderer have had their original sentences replaced with life sentences. They can now only be released if the parole board grants them permission.

Sex offender Duncan Waterhouse, described as a “predatory paedophile and a dangerous offender” by police had his eight-year sentence increased to 12 years after his conviction for assaulting four girls.

A spokesperson for the Attorney General’s Office said: “The original sentence did not reflect the very significant impact the offending had upon his victims and their families.”

Other convicted criminals including an arsonist, a person carrying a firearm and two men guilty of child neglect, had their community sentences overturned. They were placed in immediate custody as a result.

The Attorney General Jeremy Wright QC, told the BBC: "The Unduly Lenient Sentence scheme allows victims of crime, their families and the public to challenge sentences that they believe are too low, and last year we saw a record number of sentences increased."

In a separate report, he had earlier said: "A sentencing exercise is not an exact science and in the vast majority of cases, judges get it right.