Strat 6-Screw Tremolo vs Non Fine Tuner Floyd

What's Hot

Humour me please on this one - it’s a bit geeky...

Traditional six screw Stratocaster tremolo bridge

• Traditional design
  • Bent steel saddles

Vs

Non-Fine Tuner Floyd Rose

• Block saddles
  • Saddles locked to the baseplate 
  • Strings locked at the saddles

Both work with a conventional neck and a bone / TUSQ nut.

While undoubtedly the Floyd will stay in tune better, will it really rob / destroy the tone? 

It seems fashionable to trash anything Floyd Rose, but it seems counterintuitive to me since most ‘upgrades’ to the traditional Strat tremolo seem to add mass, be it a sustain block or a thicker baseplate.

Expert opinions deeply appreciated ...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    I dont mind geeking out on this one, by no means an expert though.
    Full Floyds are the only thing that works for staying in tune when actually using the bar in the 20th century way, but there is always a compromise-if its floating there will be a loss of tone transfer due to the lack of coupling to the body.
    Even these can be tricky to keep working well, the pivot wears and sometimes it helps to be able to pull back to bring tuning back in.
    Try using one the way EVH has it set up--with no pull up, and see how it works with a cheaper version of a Floyd, it doesnt. But setting it up that way means full transfer of tone due to body contact.
    Guthrie started using a none fine tuning version on his sigs, and I'm not sure if it is set up floating, but his reasoning is that there is no string behind the saddle to be affected by bending, so less string to go out of tune.
    I like all 3 types of trem, both floyds and the traditional strat, but the only one I USE for any tremolo work is the original locking floyd, it is really the only one that will stay in tune after a divebomb, and I do use them both floating and decked, I prefer floating but it does make you play in a certain way.
    The main reason I like these things is the acoustic reverb effect from the springs, which can also affect the tone in loud clean playing-sympathetic vibrations with the strings. Usually I use all 5 springs, and have it decked hard, but have been experimenting with 3 springs and a wooden block, which essentially creates a hardtail with a built in reverb.
    Floyds are more hassle settiing up, but when they are set up-they work, traditional strat tremolos take constant work to keep them in tune, so maybe a non fine tuner Floyd is a good compromise.
    just my own opinion, never used any of the good Ibanez copies, just know from my own experience, only the original or schaller german Floyds work as advertised, which is why they cost so much.
    YMMV
    cheers
    andy k
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    to be clear then, does "decked" means flat to the body?
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3003
    to be clear then, does "decked" means flat to the body?
    Yep, underside of the trem baseplate in contact with the body 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Each to their own.

I can't stand the *feel* of a Floyd, let alone what they do to the tone of a guitar (I used to get paid to ruin Strats by carving them up to fit Floyds and Kahlers - and yes, it *does* affect the sound and in my opinion in a negative way).
    I'm not into dive bombing - imho, that ceased sounding cool about 25 years ago, and so I use trems for warbles, hand vibrato, shimmers etc and so they need to float. Floyds aren't great for all that, as they lack the sublty of Strat unit - plus if you have a heavy right hand technique (I have) you can get chirps from them.

TBH, the best trem I've found as a compromise is the PRS unit. You can dive bomb if you want to release your inner child, but its subtle enough for Gilmour-isms. Plus it doesn't go out of tune.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    impmann said:
    Each to their own.

I can't stand the *feel* of a Floyd, let alone what they do to the tone of a guitar (I used to get paid to ruin Strats by carving them up to fit Floyds and Kahlers - and yes, it *does* affect the sound and in my opinion in a negative way).
    I'm not into dive bombing - imho, that ceased sounding cool about 25 years ago, and so I use trems for warbles, hand vibrato, shimmers etc and so they need to float. Floyds aren't great for all that, as they lack the sublty of Strat unit - plus if you have a heavy right hand technique (I have) you can get chirps from them.

TBH, the best trem I've found as a compromise is the PRS unit. You can dive bomb if you want to release your inner child, but its subtle enough for Gilmour-isms. Plus it doesn't go out of tune.

Wow... each to their own as you say
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

6-screws can be fine, I have a Hipshot one which can take abuse. I did make a stainless shim which might help a bit. Setting the screws is key. Had no problems with a humble Squier CV Strat one either, once the screws were set and the usual bone or Tusq nut, and a roller tree for that one.
    Also have an 80s locking Floyd, I don't have any issues using that for whatever. Horses/courses. All good, just different.

My 2-post Strat is my fave I guess, it's so low maintenance, I added a "self lubricating" Tusq nut which is pretty amazing (relatively like), haven't had to lube that at all which is a first for me.  I can do anything with that and put it down and next day will be near as dammit in tune, it's just so easy to leave with. I don't buy into this old pony about it sounds different, only 6-screw will do and all that.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Corvus said:

I don't buy into this old pony about it sounds different, only 6-screw will do and all that.

Actually, its not "old pony". You may not find it upsets/affects you or your playing but to be that dismissive of someone else's experiences is a bit strong, chap...

Having owned a two post USA Strat that I liked apart from the trem, I converted it to six screw - my reasoning being that my other Strats with the vintage type trem sounded fuller and I prefered the feel of the trem.
    The result? It sounded bigger, fuller and the feel that I prefer was there. And no, I wasn't imagining it - when I moved the guitar on, the original owner bought it back from me... he said it sounded bigger. He still has it.

As I said above, each to their own...

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    edited July 2018 tFB Trader
    And you're stuff about Floyds and the rest wasn't dismissive..?? I didn't mention anyone in particular or their playing experience... I don't see anything dismissive in my post, just a personal opinion.. Of course you see something different, as do I  in yours, but hey that's forum life eh.
    Sometimes there's a difference yes but to me nothing that can't easily be eq'd (imho). Indeed, each to their own, as always.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom