WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641
    joneve said:

Let the fans drum up the frenzy, it's been a great three weeks - just a shame the ride is over.
    I enjoyed it while it lasted, but it's like Christmas, as soon as it's over get the decorations down.

Certainly feel deflated today though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12255
    Ben8010 said:
    For the first time in my life I wasn't pissed off about going out last night. I am completely gutted about it but also proud of what the team did. They got further than what anyone expected and induced some spirit into the nation, which prompted the majority to get behind them (even my Mum was getting into it, and she usually does nothing but complain about it). Best of all they made me genuinely believe again that we could win it. All of this made for the most enjoyable WC I've had.

Croatia are a good team with some very good players. We should have put them away in the first half, but there's no shame in losing to them and I'm certainly gonna be willing them on in the final.

I put a fiver on Croatia at 5/1 at half time so I had something to soften the blow if we cocked it up. It turns out I should have put a lot more on because I'm still fucking gutted and a £25 win is not doing a right lot to soften it.
    Splitter!   Betting on the opposition is still a hanging offence I believe : )
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1297
    I'm not too disappointed but I thought we had the best chance I'll ever see in my lifetime, which is depressing.

We didn't take any big scalps, which I think were we talking about Germany would be noteworthy, and whilst we didn't slip up on go out on penalties, we didn't play great football.  The early goal hurt us.  Croatia pressed higher up and exploited our lack of ability at basic passing.  We just kept giving them the ball back.  Sterling is just another forgettable pacey striker to add to the list.  Offered nothing.

We might have nicked it had it stayed 0-0 past 60 minutes with Croatia still slightly cautious.
  • EdPhelanEdPhelan Frets: 6
    The tournament as a whole as been a breath of fresh air, and it has been great to see England show a bit of fighting spirit and commitment for a change! In days gone by there were too many egos in the team as a whole and I think this team has a real sense of togetherness and offers the nation hope for future tournaments!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    To be honest the Semi was about as far as we could get, we just don't score goals in open play and you can only do so much with set pieces - fantastic though we were at them. The most I have enjoyed a tournament in many a year. I hope that the improved England will keep improving, we will need to from now on, we won't get as easy a draw again.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5834
    Emp_Fab said:
    Bellycaster said: K9
    Emp_Fab said:
    What's worse than England losing is being in a pub full of pissed Yorkshiremen barking about what England's tactical mistakes were as if they were the world's greatest managers instead of builders from Bradford.
    No need to single out and make general sweeping statements about people from Yorkshire. Armchair Managers from Yorkshire are no different from the 100000's of Armchair Managers from all the other Counties.

I could make sweeping statements about how all the Welsh "Sheep Shaggers" would have been in the Boozer tonight spitting Bile to the English team on TV and will now all be celebrating our demise and singing in close harmony about how Green their Valley is.
    Er....   It wasn't a "sweeping statement".  I was in a pub near Worcester and it WAS full of Yorkshiremen banging on about how England could have won if only they'd done X. Y or Z

It wasn't an attempt to cast aspersions  about a regional stereotype.  It was the truth.
    Fair enough, but I stand by the fact that this scene would be repeated all over the Country with all different County Folk.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31371
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    what @joneve said. Could've been a lot worse, Sam Allardyce could've been in charge. Doesn't really bear thinking about.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    munckee said:

Splitter!   Betting on the opposition is still a hanging offence I believe : )
    Well, I never win bets anyway so me betting on a team is usually a good omen for the opposition! Just a shame it didn't work that way this time...
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Whatever about the perceived hype or over hype, if Ireland had been in the semi final, the hype would have been off the charts here. I don't think we would have said "we can win this", but it would have been in over drive for sure...
    Anyways, tis all done now!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14039
    tFB Trader
    So who will make the FIFA player of the tournament - I'd go for Modric - suspect it might go to Mpappe
    tFB Trader
    VAR - have you noticed that since we got to the knockout stages it has barely been used and struggling to remember any contentious issue since this stage
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    So who will make the FIFA player of the tournament - I'd go for Modric - suspect it might go to Mpappe
    I hope Modric. I really do.

Mcrappe really got on my nerves in the semi final. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader

agree about Mcrappe

Modric has conducted himself pretty well throughout much of his career - I think if I could pick just one player from this tournament to sit in the England team, in any position, that could have made a difference, then I'd go with Modric

agree about Mcrappe

Modric has conducted himself pretty well throughout much of his career - I think if I could pick just one player from this tournament to sit in the England team, in any position, that could have made a difference, then I'd go with Modric
    I said above we need a Modric style midfielder to work their magic and unlock this England team's potential. 

We saw lots of different elements of where this future England team could go and what they could achieve with the right coaching and experience, but what we didn't see what that flash of Gazza style midfield playmaking that Modric is so good at. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11415
    guitars4you said:

He'd be high on the list.

Ironically, Mbappe would make a difference to England.  Replace Sterling with someone who has just as much pace, but can play football.

Coutinho would be another option.

England probably were one world class player away at the end of the day.

crunchman said:
    guitars4you said:

He'd be high on the list.

Ironically, Mbappe would make a difference to England.  Replace Sterling with someone who has just as much pace, but can play football.

Coutinho would be another option.

England probably were one world class player away at the end of the day.

Mbappe would have made a difference in our semi final. He'd have fucked about for much of the second half wasting time so it finished 1-0....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    I am very pleased to read how you lot took the defeat. Very civilized comments...and thanks for most of you wishing Croatia well in the finals.
    i wasn`t really watching the game, but have followed the score and am happy my team made it this far, it is an amazing success. They always had the talent, but missed cojones.
    Seemed like England might of ended it in the first half though........
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    Is everybody excited at the thought of today's third plce playoff?

Is ANYONE excited at the thought of today's third plce playoff?

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4902
    Me - there are still points to be had  :3